Phi Beta Kappa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seracus

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was offered an invitation to Phi Beta Kappa a few years ago, but I turned it down because of the 200 dollar fee attached to it. I know now that that was a mistake, but I'm wondering if I could list in my honors and awards section as "Offered induction to Phi Beta Kappa" anyhow.

Members don't see this ad.

I was offered an invitation to Phi Beta Kappa a few years ago, but I turned it down because of the 200 dollar fee attached to it. I know now that that was a mistake, but I'm wondering if I could list in my honors and awards section as "Offered induction to Phi Beta Kappa" anyhow.

I personally wouldn't -- seems too much like you're just trying to add stuff to your app for fluff. They will see you have a good GPA (given that you maintained it since a few years ago?)

I personally wouldn't -- seems too much like you're just trying to add stuff to your app for fluff. They will see you have a good GPA (given that you maintained it since a few years ago?)

this.

Members don't see this ad :)

Being in a club doesn't matter. What matters is the GPA.

Being in a club doesn't matter. What matters is the GPA.

Exactly. It's the GPA that makes someone eligible to join in the first place.

Last edited:
I believe pbk (at my school, at least) also takes into consideration the type of courses you've taken while attaining your high GPA. They value breadth of coursework. Usually, at my school, if you majored in the humanities or liberal arts, this isn't an issue. But if you did very science-heavy stuff and didn't go beyond the humanities requirements, then you may not be considered for membership.

In the end, if you don't have anything more meaningful to put in your activities list, I would say put the pbk invitation there. It's an honor. Yes, adcoms will be able to see whether you took a diversity of courses regardless of PBK membership, but having that pbk distinction shows that you've been vetted by your institution and qualified for an honor that isn't dished out to every student who makes a GPA cutoff.

I believe pbk (at my school, at least) also takes into consideration the type of courses you've taken while attaining your high GPA. They value breadth of coursework. Usually, at my school, if you majored in the humanities or liberal arts, this isn't an issue. But if you did very science-heavy stuff and didn't go beyond the humanities requirements, then you may not be considered for membership.

In the end, if you don't have anything more meaningful to put in your activities list, I would say put the pbk invitation there. It's an honor. Yes, adcoms will be able to see whether you took a diversity of courses regardless of PBK membership, but having that pbk distinction shows that you've been vetted by your institution and qualified for an honor that isn't dished out to every student who makes a GPA cutoff.

I agree with this. It's certainly not worth mentioning as it's own activity or really even elaborating on, but if you're going to be doing a list of honors/awards, why not throw it in there?

Pbk is serious business. It more than just a GPA club. It's actually one of the few honor societies worth being inducted into.

Phi Beta Kappa is the only society worth forking up the cash to join, albeit mine was only $25. PBK is highly regarded by med schools. Its equivalent at med school is AOA which is also highly prestigious.

This is true; however, it goes even further...
Despite graduating very near the top of my class, at our chapter, I wasn't "eligible" for PBK "by default" due to my major.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

This is true; however, it goes even further...
Despite graduating near/at the top of my class, at our chapter, I wasn't "eligible" for PBK "by default" due to my major.

∩(_)∩

Engineering majors aren't either, but they have Tau Beta Pi.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Go onto AOA's website. Right on the homepage first paragraph it says, I quote "Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters and the humanities"

Phi Beta Kappa is the highest honor society you can join as an undergraduate, and AOA is the highest honor society you can join as a medical student.

Go onto AOA's website. Right on the homepage first paragraph it says, I quote "Alpha Omega Alpha is to medicine what Phi Beta Kappa is to letters and the humanities"

They are comparable only in the sense that they are both honor societies. I would say that AOA is significantly more impressive than PBK. The pool for selecting AOA inductees is almost certainly a subset of the people inducted into PBK, i.e., the competition to get into AOA is steeper than that of PBK.

They are comparable only in the sense that they are both honor societies. I would say that AOA is significantly more impressive than PBK. The pool for selecting AOA inductees is almost certainly a subset of the people inducted into PBK, i.e., the competition to get into AOA is steeper than that of PBK.
I agree, but I think he/she meant within the context of the "next step" i.e. PBK for graduate/professional education applications and AOA for residency applications.

Apparently not everyone is familiar with what Phi Beta Kappa is...

Absolutely. PBK is the only undergraduate honor that I still see listed for accomplished individuals even after they have careers, etc etc. It's a big deal, and certainly worth the $200.

Nice find. I think it's a similar level of prestige for the respective levels and will travel with you in the same way AOA will.

I agree, but I think he/she meant within the context of the "next step" i.e. PBK for graduate/professional education applications and AOA for residency applications.

Yes this is what I mean. I would agree, AOA is better than PBK, but within your respective field, PBK = AOA in terms of achievement at the current level you are at. Regardless, back to the OP's point, yes not joining PBK is a poor decision in my mind. It is a much different honors society than some of the many no namers out there. Besides PBK, the only other honors society worth joining is Phi Kappa Phi, which incorporates more majors.