Philadelphia-area school applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just checked my Temple portal for the umpteenth time and finally a decision! Applicant denied. Oh well, at least I have an answer. Would have been nice to get that in an email first rather than something so impersonal, but I guess that's to be expected with so many applicants.

Best of luck to all of those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone heard anything from USciences? I emailed them one week ago but still haven't gotten a response.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I just heard from them today. I had a message on my cell that I was accepted. I also called Philadelphia University and they said my application was under review. That was about two weeks ago. I am unsure of what I am going to do because I will be commuting about an hour. I may see if I can defer my acceptance, if that is possible. I would love to get accepted into Philadelphia University because the program works better with my schedule. Does anyone know what program is better? I am nervous about USciences because I have heard very little about the program and what I did hear was not good. Can anyone tell me some good things about the program? I do not want to throw my money away if there pass rate is low.

Yes, I just heard from them today. I had a message on my cell that I was accepted. I also called Philadelphia University and they said my application was under review. That was about two weeks ago. I am unsure of what I am going to do because I will be commuting about an hour. I may see if I can defer my acceptance, if that is possible. I would love to get accepted into Philadelphia University because the program works better with my schedule. Does anyone know what program is better? I am nervous about USciences because I have heard very little about the program and what I did hear was not good. Can anyone tell me some good things about the program? I do not want to throw my money away if there pass rate is low.

Congrats!
When did you apply? I am still waiting to hear from them.

Economod, I went to their open house a few months ago. Apparently the last OT class had a first time past rate of 99% on the NBCOT. I know someone who just graduated from the program, and she told me they have been trying really hard to work out kinks for a better pass rate ( i spoke to her about a year ago). It sounds like they have done/are doing much to improve the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Just heard back from Philadelphia University- waitlisted! Better than a rejection I guess

how hopeful is the Phil U waitlist? anybody know? :(
i'm waitlisted to both TJ & Phil U....
still waiting for USC....but i' not too positive. at least not at the moment...

those of you waitlisted @ Phil U, did you have this paragraph in your e-mail? i'm done with their pre-req's, so i'm not sure what they are talking about regarding "requirements outstanding"....

"Should you eventually be offered a spot in the Fall 2014 class, this acceptance is conditional and dependent on the successful completion of the courses and/or requirements outstanding at this time. To remove this condition you must earn a grade of 3.0 or higher in any outstanding prerequisite course(s)."

those of you waitlisted @ Phil U, did you have this paragraph in your e-mail? i'm done with their pre-req's, so i'm not sure what they are talking about regarding "requirements outstanding"....

"Should you eventually be offered a spot in the Fall 2014 class, this acceptance is conditional and dependent on the successful completion of the courses and/or requirements outstanding at this time. To remove this condition you must earn a grade of 3.0 or higher in any outstanding prerequisite course(s)."

I had that paragraph too. Pretty sure it was just sent to everyone because I'm finished with the prereqs as well. And I'm waitlisted at TJ too!

If you're an undergrad like me, they could be asking for your final transcript once you earn your degree. I got the same paragraph and there was a list underneath it that had 'transcript indicating degree' checked.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're an undergrad like me, they could be asking for your final transcript once you earn your degree. I got the same paragraph and there was a list underneath it that had 'transcript indicating degree' checked.

i do have undergrad degree already and didn't see any list.
so, i guess i'm ok....

thanx.

i do have undergrad degree already and didn't see any list.
so, i guess i'm ok....

thanx.

If you didn't see any list my guess would be it probably means you're not missing anything. My acceptance email said the same thing about it being conditional, and there was a list at the bottom that had an X next to the prerequisite I'm still taking. Doesn't hurt to ask them though of course. Good luck! :)

For those waitlisted at Thomas Jefferson,
Has anyone asked how many people are on the wait list or if its numbered? Anyone receive any other interesting insight into their wait list, or know someone who was admitted off the waitlist? It almost seems like more people were waitlisted than rejected lol. I saw on the pre-physical therapy forum that someone said (atleast for PT) they have about 200 people on the waitlist and accept 2 or 3 from it....wonder if its the same for OT. Thanks!

Congrats!
When did you apply? I am still waiting to hear from them.
I applied in Nov. But just found out about a week ago, not even. I did hear from Phil U and I didn't get in. But thanks. I am excited but nervous because I heard they are so hard and they are not a school that wants you to pass. There is hard, what I expect, challenging, but there is that school where everyone fails no matter how hard you try. I just hope their expectations of the students is realistic . But we will see, I just don't want to waste my money.

Economod, I went to their open house a few months ago. Apparently the last OT class had a first time past rate of 99% on the NBCOT. I know someone who just graduated from the program, and she told me they have been trying really hard to work out kinks for a better pass rate ( i spoke to her about a year ago). It sounds like they have done/are doing much to improve the program.
Do you know what the schedule is like? I will b traveling over an hour everyday. Is there more than one class a day and for how many hours? Sorry for the questions. I applied not knowing what I was getting myself into. I just wanted to get in somewhere.

Do you know what the schedule is like? I will b traveling over an hour everyday. Is there more than one class a day and for how many hours? Sorry for the questions. I applied not knowing what I was getting myself into. I just wanted to get in somewhere.
No worries!
I am not certain. I believe they have class mostly during the week. Aimee Viggiani <[email protected]> in admissions is very helpful with questions. Unless they changed the schedule, I know they start in the summer with a Neuro class. One of their summers they have off.

I got a letter on Friday that i was accepted to USciences, yet I already sent my deposit in to Salus. Still, I'm not sure what to do because USciences is obviously more well known and accredited, which Salus is not yet... i would find out in April whether or not Salus gained accreditation, at which point it would be too late to accept my spot at USciences. Salus is also alot cheaper than USciences.. if i did the math right, almost 90k cheaper... (USciences tuition is $1,447 per credit and they have 97 credits, so roughly $140,359 vs Salus is $21,320 1st year and $29,100 second year coming to $50,420) With either of these schools i will be living at home with my parents, so the room & board fees are not included which is great. but still I feel like i must not be doing the math right for Usciences?! If i am, and the cost would be 90K cheaper, that is a crazy amount of money for recieving the same degree. i feel like Salus is the best way to go so I wont be in debt for the next 20 years, but then what happens if in April the ACOTE committee decides not to grant Salus accreditation? I am really stressing out. anyone have any advice?! anything would be appreciated!!

I'm not sure about the tuition costs, but you could always put in a deposit for both schools. You would have to forfeit one of your deposits when you make a final decision, but that way you could reserve your spot at USciences on the unlikely chance Salus doesn't receive accreditation. The deposits usually aren't more than $400, and while losing that money sucks, it might be worth the peace of mind knowing you have a back-up plan while you wait the couple weeks until Salus hears back..

Reactions: 1 users
Your math is correct. That's why I didn't apply to USciences. Maybe you can call up the AOTA and ask them if there have ever been any instances where a school was not granted accreditation? Good luck with whatever you choose!

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you @BLS614 I didnt even think of that- great idea. Definitely worth the peace of mind i think. and @msot4me i will do that too- also good to know i did the math correct and am nott going crazy about this $140K tuition... from my research with M.OT programs, it seems like not only WAy more expensive, but also alot more credit hours for getting the same degree.

I applied late and just got news that I got accepted to Thomas Jefferson (was never waitlisted) and that I have been selected to receive a Dean's Scholarship...their admittance process truly is rolling.

I have been waitlisted at Philly U. I wonder how hopeful the wait-list is! Anyone accepted planning on rejecting their spots?

Does anyone know or have an estimate of the total tuition cost for Phila. U's MOT program for in-state students? I've emailed them, but haven't gotten a response yet.

ETA: If anyone is curious, I called and they said that their rates per credit will be going up next year.

Last edited:
Questions for anyone accepted to phily U or TJ:

1. when did you get your acceptance e-mail?
2. due date for deposit?

Thanx~~

I got a call today and was told I am accepted to Phily U. I received an email afterwards. Back in March, they told me that my position on the wait list was "favorable" and I was in the next round of applications to be considered. I have until April 18 to respond. I am still waiting to see if I can get off the wait list at other schools. I'll keep you updated. Hope this helps.

I got a call today and was told I am accepted to Phily U. I received an email afterwards. Back in March, they told me that my position on the wait list was "favorable" and I was in the next round of applications to be considered. I have until April 18 to respond. I am still waiting to see if I can get off the wait list at other schools. I'll keep you updated. Hope this helps.

How did you know that your position on the wait list was "favorable"?
Did you specifically asked them? or did they send an e-mail stating that info?

and Congratz on your admission~ lucky you. :)

Also curious as to how you know your position was favorable. I heard there were around 100 people on the wait list....not a number I wanted to hear. haha

They told me about my position in the email about being on the wait list. Check the end of the first paragraph, maybe you missed it. I got the email 3/13. Good luck!

Has there been any movement on the Philly U wait list? Anyone know when final decisions will be made regarding this program and the wait list?

University: East Carolina University
Major: Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.9 depending on program
GRE: V: 144, Q: 150, AW: 4.0

Personal trainer and Rehab Tech. Shadowed in retirement community, hospital inpatient, outpatient clinic

Acceptances: Murphy Deming/Mary Baldwin (yay!! 12/13)

Rejections: Duquesne (even though they declined me for 2014-2015 and I applied for jan 2015. If I cared enough, I would respond but I got into Murphy Deming so I don't care lol), UPitt

Wait listed: Usciences

Interviews: Murphy Deming/Mary Baldwin

Applied: U Pitt, Murphy Deming, Howard, Usciences, WSSU, Duquesne

Most likely will be attending Murphy Deming as I loved the program while visiting and made it my first choice.
I'm curious. Was there a specific reason that you didn't apply to the OT program that ECU offers?

I sent in my deposit! But I'm still deciding between Temple and Pitt. I'm visiting both soon. :)

So you can send in a deposit to hold your seat, but later choose not to go to Temple without financial penalties aside from the security deposit. I know some schools require you pay the first semester of tuition.

So you can send in a deposit to hold your seat, but later choose not to go to Temple without financial penalties aside from the security deposit. I know some schools require you pay the first semester of tuition.

I can't speak specifically to Temple, but for every school I know of yes, you don't have any other financial loss other than forfeiting your deposit (though the amount of the deposit can differ greatly between programs. I had offers with deposits ranging from $200-$1000.) Tuition for the first semester is generally due the day classes start, though of course you'd want to have all your financial aid/loans figured out before then. Many send in a deposit at one school while waiting to hear back from others. I gave up a spot two weeks before classes started due to being accepted from the wait list at another school, and I know others who have done so even closer to the start date. So while its not ideal, its certainly not unheard of.

Yeah, I made my deposit to Pitt and decided to go elsewhere and lost the 200 or so deposit. I never heard of a school asking for first semester's tuition as a deposit. But this may be a new way of making sure deposits=committed students. I also dropped my seat about a month before the program started, which does make it hard to find a new student to fill the seat. However this is difficult because some waitlists can give you a decision very late in the game. Tricky situations, but I cannot imagine giving a deposit of a full semster's worth of tuition upfront! It would have to be my dream school. On a side note: before applying, make sure you check tuition prices and location and are sure you would attend if accepted. I wasted money by not visiting campuses(even check them out on google maps) or looking into more details about the school. I just applied to places, once accepted, I did not want to attend. So make sure you make solid choices! :) Good luck.

Thanks alg5443 and lcs2074! I really appreciate the feedback. I am hoping I will hear back from my top choice by December 1st, and then I can apply to other schools if necessary, but I guess I will be officially submitting my application to Temple tomorrow since they do use rolling admissions. Fingers are crossed for getting into a school this cycle!

Has anyone received Jefferson's supplemental application? I submitted thru OTCAS on Sep. 15, was verified on Oct. 1 and I still have not received my supplemental application from Jefferson. How long did it take before they sent it out?

Has anyone received Jefferson's supplemental application? I submitted thru OTCAS on Sep. 15, was verified on Oct. 1 and I still have not received my supplemental application from Jefferson. How long did it take before they sent it out?

I submitted 8/28, verified 9/12 and have NOT received the supplemental application from Jeff yet. I received an email 9/24 saying that the supp. app has not been sent out yet. I feel like it should've been sent by now and I've been checking my email like crazy!

I submitted 9/15 and was verified 10/1. Jeff has not sent me anything at all... not even an email saying they received my app.

Has anyone heard anything from Jefferson yet?
On 11/14 I got an interview for Jefferson this is their first round of interviews though they started November 21st and are offered every friday until 12/19 and Monday 12/22 I wouldn't worry if you didn't hear about an interview yet though. Before hearing about my interview I was in touch with Don and he told me they would be doing interviews all through the winter

On 11/14 I got an interview for Jefferson this is their first round of interviews though they started November 21st and are offered every friday until 12/19 and Monday 12/22 I wouldn't worry if you didn't hear about an interview yet though. Before hearing about my interview I was in touch with Don and he told me they would be doing interviews all through the winter

Ok great thanks! Good luck! I would love to hear about how it went if you don't mind.

anyone hear anything from temple yet?

I don't know of anyone who has heard back from Temple yet with an acceptance/waitlist notification. I heard that if you still have prerequisites that they would not start reviewing your application until December, so it sounds like they will review all completed applications first, then maybe notify based on that, then move to those finishing their prerequisites. My application is complete, but still nothing. I know people first saw activity on their TU portal this week last year.

I submitted 9/15 .... I guess I should be hearing back soon. Did you learn of the decision thru tu portal or the mail/email?