Philadelphia Area Schools/Acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was just wondering - have any of you that applied in the Philadelphia area heard back from your schools?

I applied to all four (Temple, Jefferson, USciences and PhillyU), but have heard from only one so far (yay Temple!). My OTCAS was verified back in early November and I am unsure what the amount of time should be before I reach back out to the schools!

Also, has anyone been waiting for the OTCAS academic update to be verified? I had submitted mine just before the holidays and I am still waiting for my status to be switched from AU Submitted to complete! (I wasn't sure if this had anything to do with decision delays.)

Just interested in hearing if others have heard anything yet. Good luck to everyone on here that is waiting for acceptance news!

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to USciences and haven't heard anything. My AU just switched from submitted to complete a few days ago- hopefully we hear soon!!

Applied to all those schools as well. Haven't heard anything yet..but it has only been a few weeks since I applied. I also applied to Stockton in NJ. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking.

Members don't see this ad :)
University: Penn State 2009
Major: Elementary Education
Overall GPA:3.66
GRE: Verbal 154 Quantitative 151

Work Experience/Extracurricular Activities: Child Life Activity Coordinator at CHOP; Rehabilitation Tech for a Spinal Cord Injury Center; active on campus with different organizations during undergrad

OT Observation Hours: 200+

Good luck to you! I'd love to hear if others have heard anything, or what your stats also are! Keep us posted if you hear anything :)

University: Temple 2013
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.39
GRE: Verbal 152 Quantitative 160
OT Hours: 50 hours

Applied: Temple, Jefferson, Philadelphia, & Salus
Accepted: Philadelphia
Interview: Salus (haven't had it yet)!

Ideally, Temple and Jefferson are my top 2... but I have yet to hear back from either of them and I'm getting worried that the class is filling up? >___<

I've been accepted into philaU and have accepted my admission!

I applied to USciences, Thomas Jefferson, and Temple. I have not yet heard back from USciences, but I was recently accepted into the other two programs (!). I was verified by OTCAS in November as well, but did not need to do an academic update. Does anyone have any pros/cons for Thomas Jefferson and Temple (besides the obvious price difference)? I liked the program at Jefferson a lot more, but am not sure if it is worth taking out 2x the loan I would need for Temple. If it makes any difference, I already sent in the deposit for Jefferson as I was admitted there first.

For those of you who haven't heard back yet, there is a deadline to send in your deposit in the next couple of weeks. I am sure once the deadline passes both programs will be sending out more acceptances since they will know how many spots they have left. Good luck!!

Glad to see you decided to accept!

I've noticed that no one has listed Pitts as one of their Philly area school choices on this is there a reason?

I've noticed that no one has listed Pitts as one of their Philly area school choices on this is there a reason?

Philly is 300 miles (roughly 5hours drive) from UPitt so I think a lot of people don't see it as the "area". Good luck to everyone waiting to hear from school- I sure am stressing out since I haven't heard from most schools.

University of Delaware 2013
Majors: Spanish (honors), Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.51
GRE: 165 V, 151 Q, 5.0 AW
Observation hours: 50

Applied: Jeff, Temple, Pitt
Accepted: Temple (what up Temple)
Waitlisted: Jeff

Good luck to you! The Philly area is full of amazing programs - in my opinion, you can't go wrong here :)

Does anyone have any pros/cons for Thomas Jefferson and Temple (besides the obvious price difference)? I liked the program at Jefferson a lot more, but am not sure if it is worth taking out 2x the loan I would need for Temple. If it makes any difference, I already sent in the deposit for Jefferson as I was admitted there first.

Congrats on Jeff and Temple! I take it you're probably from somewhere near the Philly area, as you applied to schools there, so you already know that Jeff is in a much more desirable area than Temple. I'm not sure if you'd consider that worth taking out a much bigger loan, but it can be an important factor nonetheless. Jeff also claimed that they try to set up as many students as possible with graduate assistantships to help with living costs, whereas Temple didn't make as much of a deal of that (when I was touring, at least). I'm sure you already know also that the program is absolute top-notch and, in my opinion at least, fully worth the price.

However, on Temple's end, they do full cadaver anatomy, whereas Jeff only does prosected parts. Their program is also very slightly more accelerated than Jeff's, and they supposedly have a great fieldwork setup. The price is also much less if you're a PA resident, which makes it a ridiculous value for another great-quality program. Also, an interesting note - my mother's doctor said that he prefers med students from Temple, because they've already seen it all by the time they get out into the real world. He couldn't speak for OTs, though.

I hope that helped a little!

Congrats on Temple! How did you hear from them, email? snail mail? I haven't heard much from them since early January..

I applied to USciences, Thomas Jefferson, and Temple. I have not yet heard back from USciences, but I was recently accepted into the other two programs (!). I was verified by OTCAS in November as well, but did not need to do an academic update. Does anyone have any pros/cons for Thomas Jefferson and Temple (besides the obvious price difference)? I liked the program at Jefferson a lot more, but am not sure if it is worth taking out 2x the loan I would need for Temple. If it makes any difference, I already sent in the deposit for Jefferson as I was admitted there first.

For those of you who haven't heard back yet, there is a deadline to send in your deposit in the next couple of weeks. I am sure once the deadline passes both programs will be sending out more acceptances since they will know how many spots they have left. Good luck!!

Hi, I know this was a while ago but i saw that you got into Jeff's M.Ot program. (congrats!) did you decide to accept there or Temple? And did you ever hear back from USciences? I was wondering if you remember how long it took to hear from Jefferson when you recieved the email that your application was "comeplete/ready for review". I am anxiously awaiting hearing from schools!! Any info would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hi! For all you Philly applicants, where did you do your observation hours? I am looking for places to observe and get more hours and knowing of places that willingly accept people would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Hi! For all you Philly applicants, where did you do your observation hours? I am looking for places to observe and get more hours and knowing of places that willingly accept people would be helpful!

Thanks in advance!

Theraplay has a bunch of outpatient pediatric centers all around the Philly area, and they accept volunteers/observers. Moss Rehab, which is adult inpatient/outpatient, does as well. Nursing homes always need help and many have OTs on staff, so that's one option as well. One thing to keep in mind is places tend to be more open if you say you want to "volunteer" as opposed to just "observe." You will still get to watch and learn a bunch, but may also do some light clean up and filing type things to help out in return. Good luck!