Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my secondary for PCOM-PA but not GA. Am I supposed to wait for a separate invite or is it the same email for both schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does the GA campus have different admissions personnel than the PA campus?

Yes, but a lot of paperwork still goes through the PA campus.
I see. I asked because my secondaries are nearly identical for the two (only difference is that in the GA secondary I tie in their mission statement, since, you know, it's not the same as PA mission statement). So, I didn't know if one should write completely different essays for the 2 campuses. You're a current student, right? Thoughts ?

I see. I asked because my secondaries are nearly identical for the two (only difference is that in the GA secondary I tie in their mission statement, since, you know, it's not the same as PA mission statement). So, I didn't know if one should write completely different essays for the 2 campuses. You're a current student, right? Thoughts ?

I used identical secondary responses. You're fine.

Starting in two weeks, but for all intents and purposes, yes I'm a current student. I just copy/pasted the essay from one secondary into the other. The admissions committees at the schools are separate entities, so one school won't see your essay for the other campus. Not that it would necessarily make a difference since the prompts are basically the same.

We had a 250 word limit on our essay last year. Is it the same this year?

Starting in two weeks, but for all intents and purposes, yes I'm a current student. I just copy/pasted the essay from one secondary into the other. The admissions committees at the schools are separate entities, so one school won't see your essay for the other campus. Not that it would necessarily make a difference since the prompts are basically the same.

Correct

Members don't see this ad :)

Ok, cool. Thanks, sir/ma'am. Appreciate the feedback- very helpful.

Yes, it is.

Last edited:
Do y'all think there's some flexibility about the "event" part of the prompt? I didn't describe a one-time event, but rather something I engaged in for a while.

ugh...250 words is so limited

For students who stream lecture, how much time is spent on campus per week?

This is going to sound dumb, but how do we access the portal in the first place? I submitted my secondary and sent in my app fee recently but haven't heard anything.
It doesn't sound dumb- I have that same question at a few other schools. For PCOM they sent me an email with a link after I submitted my secondary.

This is going to sound dumb, but how do we access the portal in the first place? I submitted my secondary and sent in my app fee recently but haven't heard anything.
you have to wait for them to send you another email with new log in info and the log in link. it took me about 1 week after i mailed in the app fee to receive that email!

Thanks guys! I reread my original email and saw it. Whoops :p

I'm very excited for PCOM-GA. I would definitely say they're my #1 DO school going into this process. Suwanee sounds like a great place to live.

Can you guys share the essay questions for the secondaries?

The prompt is the same for both schools:
* Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. 250 words

Reactions: 1 user
How friendly is this school to OOS and out of region students? I'm an applicant from the northeast.

How friendly is this school to OOS and out of region students? I'm an applicant from the northeast.

There are students from all over at pcom-ga. There mission is to supply Georgia, and the surrounding south eastern region, with osteopathic physicians. So be prepared for questions about that if invited for an interview.

There are students from all over at pcom-ga. There mission is to supply Georgia, and the surrounding south eastern region, with osteopathic physicians. So be prepared for questions about that if invited for an interview.

I'll try to convey if I get an interview the fact that I used to live in this state few years ago and I am looking to return back.

I'll try to convey if I get an interview the fact that I used to live in this state few years ago and I am looking to return back.

Same here. I lived in the Greater Atlanta area for a year and loved it. I definitely would not mind practicing there...

Can anyone comment on how this program compares to the one in Philly?

When does this school start sending out interviews?

Hey,

So I have a 30 MCAT (multipe retakes though), a sGPA of 3.5, cGPA of 3.67. I've been working as an ER scribe,done 2 separate research experiences (no publications), a few non-medical jobs, and volunteering. I know it's kinda late but I just submitted my primary application.

Is it too late though?

Hey,

So I have a 30 MCAT (multipe retakes though), a sGPA of 3.5, cGPA of 3.67. I've been working as an ER scribe,done 2 separate research experiences (no publications), a few non-medical jobs, and volunteering. I know it's kinda late but I just submitted my primary application.

Is it too late though?

Hey, did you submit it just now or get it verfied just now?
Either way, you are not too late, especially with your scores. Apparently "late" is around december
I think you should be fine stat wise :)

Hey,

Is it too late though?
Agree with @kabead, you're not too late! I would definitely start pre-writing your secondaries though so you can submit those as soon as you're invited to.

I'm really excited about this school. lets get the IIs rollin :D

I'm really excited about this school. lets get the IIs rollin :D
Looking at last years thread, the first interviews didn't start going out late Sep (According to the first posts, they were around Sep 25th). Looks like we have a lot more waiting to do

At least it is September

This is probably a dumb question but do you guys think it would be okay to write PCOM instead of Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine for the secondary? I am exactly at 250 words and I'm not sure it would look too great if I abbreviated...

This is probably a dumb question but do you guys think it would be okay to write PCOM instead of Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine for the secondary? I am exactly at 250 words and I'm not sure it would look too great if I abbreviated...
It's totally ok! I did that for most schools and received secondaries and interview invites without any problems

It's totally ok! I did that for most schools and received secondaries and interview invites without any problems
Great! thanks so much for answering!

I finally received my secondary today! I hope I am not too late....:unsure:
Hopefully IIs will be sent soon also! I hope we all hear something soon! :) Good luck everyone~

Last edited:
II received today! Interview on the 26th! Hope to see you all there

Reactions: 2 users