Philadelphia COM - Georgia (GA-PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How long after y'all's primaries were verified did y'all receive secondaries?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Accepted after interviewing on November 6th! Looking forward to meeting all of you :)

Also, I got my secondary about 2 weeks after

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can't seem to find my acceptance letter? Can someone remind me how we make the 250 deposit?

I can't seem to find my acceptance letter? Can someone remind me how we make the 250 deposit?
Log onto your online application summary which should be in your email. Then there should be a link to follow to the payment options.

Log onto your online application summary which should be in your email. Then there should be a link to follow to the payment options.
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone from the Nov 13th interview yet received an acceptance, waitlist or rejection? With the holiday weekend coming up, I wasn't sure if word would come before or after.

Do they send us anymore information after we make the 250$ deposit?

Do they send us anymore information after we make the 250$ deposit?
Called the other day and they said we were good to go once we had made the deposit. I guess we'll get more info next year once we start getting closer to orientation.

Called the other day and they said we were good to go once we had made the deposit. I guess we'll get more info next year once we start getting closer to orientation.
Thanks! Guess I'm just to excited.

Received my secondary, just now. Gonna try and get it in tomorrow.

1st choice program.

Members don't see this ad :)
So why have I not even received a complete email from this school? I submitted everything around the beginning of October. Anyone in the same boat?

So why have I not even received a complete email from this school? I submitted everything around the beginning of October. Anyone in the same boat?

From my knowledge they don't send complete emails.
Look at the requirements on portal and your complete date will be the date that the last of your requirements was received. :)

Anyone from the Nov 13th interview yet received an acceptance, waitlist or rejection? With the holiday weekend coming up, I wasn't sure if word would come before or after.
I haven not heard anything. I was hoping to know today because I wanted to take advantage of Black Friday deals starting on Thanksgiving night because I have like nothing for an apartment if I get accepted since I live with my parents. I may still go and return stuff if needed. I think we will hear Friday or Saturday in the mail since it does not come thanksgiving

Submitted my secondary just now!

Is it usual for them to show MCAT scores as being received before your LORs? I'm guessing this is because they can receive the former electronically, but an actual human has to look at the committee letter...

Buuuuump.

Waiting for my GF to finish a half marathon, so I've got nothing better to do than worry about med school.

Also, I'm concerned that I'm applying for a waitlist spot, if anything. My stats are really quite good, and I have a ton of volunteering and several leadership positions + what I'm told are great LORs ... but this is my 1st choice. The location, curriculum and atmosphere are perfect and I'm nervous I won't get an II this late.

Meep :scared:

Also, I'm concerned that I'm applying for a waitlist spot, if anything. My stats are really quite good, and I have a ton of volunteering and several leadership positions + what I'm told are great LORs ... but this is my 1st choice. The location, curriculum and atmosphere are perfect and I'm nervous I won't get an II this late.

Meep :scared:
It sounds like you have a good shot at interviewing.

It sounds like you have a good shot at interviewing.
Thanks! Do you know if they're still interviewing for spots or for the waitlist?

Also, I'm guessing the 15 day period noted on the secondary site is how long it may take for my LORs and secondary to be added. My MCAT scores and fees have already shown up in the table.

Thanks! Do you know if they're still interviewing for spots or for the waitlist?

Also, I'm guessing the 15 day period noted on the secondary site is how long it may take for my LORs and secondary to be added. My MCAT scores and fees have already shown up in the table.
I would think that they still have spots available but only the admins would know for sure. Yes, I would think that the 15 days on the portal would be correct. The process can be nerve wracking but hang in there.

I would think that they still have spots available but only the admins would know for sure. Yes, I would think that the 15 days on the portal would be correct. The process can be nerve wracking but hang in there.
I think I'll call about the seats on Monday.

Sigh :( Finally got my science professor to submit his LOR! Hope I can get this turn around quickly! @J Senpai please let me know what they say! I am curious as well as a fellow late applicant!

I'm sure that they have seats left. I went (as an ambassador) and helped the admissions office give a presentation at the school where I did my pre-reqs, and she was showing the stats from a recent year (not this year, but recent) and I was amazed at how few interviews they gave vs how many acceptances they gave vs how many slots were filled. Exact numbers slip my mind, but it was somewhere around 300-350 interviews given, 160-200 acceptances, for 135 positions. That was from an outrageous number of applicants, but if you get an interview, your chances improve significantly. @J Senpai, while you are free to do what you want, I'd suggest that you think about something better to contact them about and MAYBE work in that question. Personally, I'd assume they wouldn't give out interviews if they didn't need to fill slots, and I wouldn't ask. PCOM has been around 116 years... I think they understand the numbers game by now. That also means that they know good students come through towards the end of the cycle and don't fill all the slots too early, too.

I know that application is a nerve wracking process but buckle up, hold on, and get ready for and adventure because I'll share a secret: Medical school isn't easier... It's just different.

I'm sure that they have seats left. I went (as an ambassador) and helped the admissions office give a presentation at the school where I did my pre-reqs, and she was showing the stats from a recent year (not this year, but recent) and I was amazed at how few interviews they gave vs how many acceptances they gave vs how many slots were filled. Exact numbers slip my mind, but it was somewhere around 300-350 interviews given, 160-200 acceptances, for 135 positions. That was from an outrageous number of applicants, but if you get an interview, your chances improve significantly. @J Senpai, while you are free to do what you want, I'd suggest that you think about something better to contact them about and MAYBE work in that question. Personally, I'd assume they wouldn't give out interviews if they didn't need to fill slots, and I wouldn't ask. PCOM has been around 116 years... I think they understand the numbers game by now. That also means that they know good students come through towards the end of the cycle and don't fill all the slots too early, too.

I know that application is a nerve wracking process but buckle up, hold on, and get ready for and adventure because I'll share a secret: Medical school isn't easier... It's just different.
Thanks for the info! So, if myself and some other later applicants (I've been told Jan is actually late for secondaries, but I'm stil nervous) get interviews, our chances of acceptance are fairly high? As in, we'd have to mess up during interview day to not get accepted?

EDIT: the numbers might not support that assumption. Perhaps those who interview and are rejected weren't perceived as being good fits.

If I'd be wasting their time with that question, I'll probably just leave them alone, then.

Thanks for the info! So, if myself and some other later applicants (I've been told Jan is actually late for secondaries, but I'm stil nervous) get interviews, our chances of acceptance are fairly high? As in, we'd have to mess up during interview day to not get accepted?

EDIT: the numbers might not support that assumption. Perhaps those who interview and are rejected weren't perceived as being good fits.

If I'd be wasting their time with that question, I'll probably just leave them alone, then.

Yeah, I'm sure they've heard the "where is your waiting list" question about 1000 times (literally). Chances of you getting into school are dependent on you. I know some people with great stats who were put on the waiting list and let in VERY late in the interview season, while some with mediocre stats (like me), and even some with poor stats got accepted to my class straight off. Stats and "extras" can get you an interview. That doesn't mean you'll get accepted. The best I can say about an interview is that if you can get one, they have faith that you can make it at our school. The interview process is more to make sure that you are a good fit for us and for you to make sure that we are a good fit for you.

Fairly high? I don't think I would go that far unless you are making a comparison to a different group of people (like those who DIDN'T get an interview... And, well, yeah... Your chances are obviously better). It means you have a chance to come and outshine he other 350ish other outstanding students that were also given an interview invite. I can promise you that starting medical school ANYWHERE is leaving your "normal" competition behind and starting off at a whole different level. Like walking off a High School football team where you've been all-city/state/etc and finding yourself on a college team where EVERY player has similar accolades and struggling to hold a starting position.

That's not meant to discourage anyone. Quite the opposite, really,... but you should realize that there are no dummies who will be in your class. And, like most others, you probably won't have the top grade like you may be used to. Just realize that when you graduate, nobody will ask what your GPA was. They'll just look at the big diploma on the wall either in awe (like you or I) or they'll not notice it cause they're sick.

Yeah, I'm sure they've heard the "where is your waiting list" question about 1000 times (literally). Chances of you getting into school are dependent on you. I know some people with great stats who were put on the waiting list and let in VERY late in the interview season, while some with mediocre stats (like me), and even some with poor stats got accepted to my class straight off. Stats and "extras" can get you an interview. That doesn't mean you'll get accepted. The best I can say about an interview is that if you can get one, they have faith that you can make it at our school. The interview process is more to make sure that you are a good fit for us and for you to make sure that we are a good fit for you.

Fairly high? I don't think I would go that far unless you are making a comparison to a different group of people (like those who DIDN'T get an interview... And, well, yeah... Your chances are obviously better). It means you have a chance to come and outshine he other 350ish other outstanding students that were also given an interview invite. I can promise you that starting medical school ANYWHERE is leaving your "normal" competition behind and starting off at a whole different level. Like walking off a High School football team where you've been all-city/state/etc and finding yourself on a college team where EVERY player has similar accolades and struggling to hold a starting position.

That's not meant to discourage anyone. Quite the opposite, really,... but you should realize that there are no dummies who will be in your class. And, like most others, you probably won't have the top grade like you may be used to. Just realize that when you graduate, nobody will ask what your GPA was. They'll just look at the big diploma on the wall either in awe (like you or I) or they'll not notice it cause they're sick.
Great input. If I can communicate and demonstrate my interest in primary care and my desire to practice in GA, in conjunction with my small town upbringing + favor for tight knit programs, I'll hopefully get some love. Fingers crossed.

Great input. If I can communicate and demonstrate my interest in primary care and my desire to practice in GA, in conjunction with my small town upbringing + favor for tight knit programs, I'll hopefully get some love. Fingers crossed.

Not yet! Hopefully sometime next week tho!

When were you verified? I got my secondary about a week after verification, but it's also a holiday weekend, so that might be a factor.

well my aacomas has been verified for a while now...but my science letter just came in a few days ago. So hopefully the turn around is quick! Some other schools dont require 2 science letters so I went ahead and applied to those.

Hang in there guys. I didn't think this school would even offer me an interview or secondary, but they offered me an acceptance.

Congrats! Have you determine if you're going to attend?

Yessir, I'm pretty set on attending here. I am from Birmingham, AL so it allows me and my S/O to stay close to home while pursuing a D.O. at a school with a good rep and one that I think keeps getting better!

Could some students give me some insight on where I should look at as far as apartments go? I've just been browsing apartment finder, but I would like to hear from some actual tenants of these places. I am not dead set on being super close to the school. 15-20 min drive is fine with me. I am also looking at apartments that allow small breeds of dogs.

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Georgia/Suwanee-Apartments/The-Heights-At-Old-Peachtree-Apartments

These seem nice.

Yessir, I'm pretty set on attending here. I am from Birmingham, AL so it allows me and my S/O to stay close to home while pursuing a D.O. at a school with a good rep and one that I think keeps getting better!

Could some students give me some insight on where I should look at as far as apartments go? I've just been browsing apartment finder, but I would like to hear from some actual tenants of these places. I am not dead set on being super close to the school. 15-20 min drive is fine with me. I am also looking at apartments that allow small breeds of dogs.

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Georgia/Suwanee-Apartments/The-Heights-At-Old-Peachtree-Apartments

These seem nice.

Congrats on the acceptance! When did you interview? & Those look nice but I was browsing apartments and I saw cheaper ones with good amenities too.

These seem nice.
1br 1ba $950 I think. 2br 1ba goes for $1300. Convenient and very nice. But a bit pricy.

Congrats on the acceptance! When did you interview? & Those look nice but I was browsing apartments and I saw cheaper ones with good amenities too.

My interview was the very first group, so Sept. 25th I believe. Really? If you come across it again please drop the link in here! So far all the apartments that I have seen are all in the 900-1200 range or so.

My interview was the very first group, so Sept. 25th I believe. Really? If you come across it again please drop the link in here! So far all the apartments that I have seen are all in the 900-1200 range or so.

I will definitely let you know when I look again. Some were in cities near Suwanee though but when I put the directions in mapquest, it still said less than 20 minutes

Anyone know much about the Lawrenceville area? I'm looking for a 3br house and it seems that I can get more for my money there.

If I were to buy a house, where would be the best location, assuming I will do the Jtrack rotation? I am wondering where the local rotation sites are.

If I were to buy a house, where would be the best location, assuming I will do the Jtrack rotation? I am wondering where the local rotation sites are.
I am unsure about the house buying stuff, but the jtrack rotation is up to 90 miles away. (or 60, I can't remember)

I am unsure about the house buying stuff, but the jtrack rotation is up to 90 miles away. (or 60, I can't remember)
Do you know 60 miles away in which direction? Are most of them south towards Atlanta, north of PCOM or around PCOM. Just in general.

I do not know. If I had to guess it is probably up to 60 or 90 miles in differing directions depending on the rotation. It might be on their website

Anyone know much about the Lawrenceville area? I'm looking for a 3br house and it seems that I can get more for my money there.
I attend PCOM, and I have a 3 bedroom home in L'ville. I pay $1044 a month, well 1019, the extra is for my dog.

I attend PCOM, and I have a 3 bedroom home in L'ville. I pay $1044 a month, well 1019, the extra is for my dog.

About how long does it take you to get to class?

Also, if you do not mind me asking, do a lot of people have roommates or do a lot of students find it within budget to rent and live alone? I am an only child and with my study habits and everything, I do not think living with a roommate is ideal for me

About how long does it take you to get to class?

Also, if you do not mind me asking, do a lot of people have roommates or do a lot of students find it within budget to rent and live alone? I am an only child and with my study habits and everything, I do not think living with a roommate is ideal for me
I am approximately 7.5 miles from campus, but it takes me 20 mins. Coming down Lawrenceville-Suwanee there are several red lights, and just a high volume of cars. I live alone, but I also work FT, I have other financial responsibilities and bills that are not feasible for the refund I receive and I take out the maximum. Now, I assume others aren't in the same boat as me, and I have friends that are able to live off the loans. I am a Masters student, and have friends in DO and pharmacy that live off loans and do not work, but most have roommates. I hope that helps. If you have no other outside help, you might want to live further out or consider a roommate in the townhomes that allow separate accesses to the house so you won't have to see each other. But honestly most have roommates or live with parents. The best areas are L'ville and Duluth, although it can be pricey. Suwanee is more expensive. My friend lives in a one bedroom apartment off Old Peachtree and pays $1300. The others live on old Peachtree and Dean rd and pay $1800 between the both. So there are some numbers for you. Like I said, I pay 1019 by myself. So the further out the less you pay, but the commute increases.

I live in Grayson, on the otter side of Lawrenceville. I have a big family, and require 5 BRs. My rent is $1600. The drive is 25 minutes at 5:30 on a Saturday morning (about the only day and time that there is NO traffic). The first day driving home (google maps) it took 1:45... I found better and better ways, so the commute was around 45 in traffic until I found the app Waze. Now I rarely spend more than 35 min on my commute.

In other words, the further you are willing to travel, you can get rent rather inexpensive. But, make sure you can find the roads that nobody drives.

Reactions: 1 users
You can even go up north like to Buford, Winder, those areas as well