Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope so, but I don't know who would pass up the chance to go here :p

I'm waiting to hear back from a few more MD/DO schools, but I would drop it all for PCOM.

I'm surprised I even interviewed. I was literally the last person of the year to interview. My group was awesome too. If any of you guys are reading this, I really wish you all luck. After meeting you, I really have no idea what merit I had being there.

When was your interview? I mightve been there

Members don't see this ad.

Afternoon. Yourself?

Edit: Just did some profile stalking (sorry). I'm going to assume you were in the AM session. The afternoon was just me and 3 other bros. :)

I'm going to reapply to this school with a DO letter. I wish I applied earlier, I really would have liked to come here

Members don't see this ad :)

Did you interview in the AM or PM session?

I interviewed during the AM session and got a decision hold as well. I assumed we all did!

I interviewed in AM march 26th. Just got waitlisted letter today. Better than rejected I suppose

what in dang hell is "decision deferred" ..i've gotten this before in the last cycle and it just meant BAD. ughhh..

Withdrew my acceptance today. I hope it goes to one of you! good luck

Has anyone heard about a change in their current deferred status yet?

I have another offer, but PCOM is the most convenient and would mean that I wouldn't have to uproot my family. I truly hope the decisions come out this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an acceptance yesterday via snail mail. :) Good luck to everyone else waiting! I'm going to pull out of the other school and will be joining you all at PCOM this August. (Yay I get to stay at home.) :D

Received an acceptance yesterday via snail mail. :) Good luck to everyone else waiting! I'm going to pull out of the other school and will be joining you all at PCOM this August. (Yay I get to stay at home.) :D

Congrats! are you a philly resident?

Accepted!!!

Interviewed 3/28
Deferred 4/4 (I don't think the committee met)
Letter-of-Intent 4/5
Accepted 4/22

I'm speechless!

Edit:
2.90 uGPA, Non-URM
3.90 gGPA
32 MCAT
Lots of long-term ECs, a lot of leadership, thousands of hours volunteering, 2 years of graduate research, etc
A couple Dean's Lists, working on publication, 2 conferences, and a few honors for valor and lives saved, and some miscellaneous EC awards
Strong LORs from a couple notable people; no DO letter or shadowing, but I am shadowing soon. My old PCP was a DO and my new PCP was a DO, which I brought up at the interview.

I really wish the rest of you good luck!

Last edited:
I got waitlisted. I lost all my hope for PCOM. Congrats to the folks who got accepted...

Accepted!!!

Interviewed 3/28
Letter-of-Intent 4/5
Accepted 4/22

I'm speechless!

Edit:
2.90 uGPA, Non-URM
3.90 gGPA
32 MCAT
Lots of long-term ECs, a lot of leadership, thousands of hours volunteering, 2 years of graduate research, etc
A couple Dean's Lists, working on publication, 2 conferences, and a few honors for valor and lives saved, and some miscellaneous EC awards
Strong LORs from a couple notable people; no DO letter or shadowing, but I am shadowing soon. My old PCP was a DO and my new PCP was a DO, which I brought up at the interview.

Congrats! Does this mean you're definitely attending a med school this year or still gonna try and defer?

Accepted!!!

Interviewed 3/28
Letter-of-Intent 4/5
Accepted 4/22

I'm speechless!

Edit:
2.90 uGPA, Non-URM
3.90 gGPA
32 MCAT

Congratulations EnergyDrink!

I interviewed the same day as you, however in the morning session. Do you remember who interviewed you? If you prefer, you can tell me who they were in a PM. Thanks and congratulations again on your acceptance.

Congrats! Does this mean you're definitely attending a med school this year or still gonna try and defer?

I don't think so. I was a bit hesitant becoming an NJ resident, so this makes the transitition a bit easier. I'm way too excited to defer.

For those who are waitlisted, if there is a form to fill out, do it ASAP. From last years thread, it seems like there is somewhat of a "first come, first serve" when it comes to getting off the waitlist.

Anybody know if this school let's people defer their acceptance for a year? I talked about it in the UMDNJ thread - I have a lot going on right now that I want to see through. I probably won't do it, but its just an option I'd like to consider.

Yes, but you need to tell them why and the adcom needs to approve.

Anybody know if this school let's people defer their acceptance for a year? I talked about it in the UMDNJ thread - I have a lot going on right now that I want to see through. I probably won't do it, but its just an option I'd like to consider.

Just curious if you have sent a deposit yet?

Did anyone else interview 3/28 or prior to that date and not receive a decision yet?

@EnergyDrink - I interviewed the same day as you and received the same letter as you around 4/4, but I haven't heard anything since. I do recall them telling us we would hear by the end of last week. Lucky you haha

Anyone have Nucleus credentials yet? I want to get started on housing ASAP.

Speaking of which...

26, Male, Non-Smoker :)

To my fellow waitlisters. Keep in touch with any movement or good news you might receive!

The $1500 deposit is due may 23 for those who were recently accepted.
Anyone know when financial aid is due? I can't seem to find an absolute deadline after the initial march deadline

I think they have to send out an official award letter first..then you sign it. Not sure when.

Oh PS is there a facebook class page, like, so we can organize book swaps with upperclassmen and stuff or is that all during orientation?

29R Mcat, 3.8 Cum GPA. Lots of experience working as an OR Assistant in hospital.

Should PCOM be sent an official finalized set of transcripts from my Undergraduate University with the final course grades? Nothing unusual the final semester, but just to have a complete set.

Can anyone please tell me about the Letters of Rec- I don't have a pre-med committee to get a letter from so I got one from my psychology academic advisor. I know you can substitute for a Dean or academic advisor but wasn't sure if its alright to get one from psychology department (Im obviously a psych major thus couldnt ask one from a biology advisor). Is this okay? And how is the admissions board going to be able to know that this letter is from an academic advisor and not just a psychology professor? Is there anything that I should tell my professor to include in the letter? Thanks

full transcripts should be sent in prior to entering the class in August

the writer should note that he or she is in fact your academic advisor in the signature line

Hey everyone, im on the waitlist. was wondering how I should go about sending a letter of intent? should I mail one or email it? and to who would I send it to? thanks for the help! Looked around and couldn't find any answers.

I addressed mine to the faculty committee on admissions

Withdrew today...good luck to everyone on the waiting list. It's a great school!!

Hello,

My name is Jorge. I'll be attending PCOM for the MBS program in August. I've wanted to see if anyone was looking for roommates. My friend graduated from PCOM. He told me the best apartments are Duffield (0.5 miles away from campus). I've been there as well. It's a very nice building.

I'll tell you a bit about me. I'm going to school just to study. I'll be keeping the partying to a minimum. I'm responsible, clean, and honest. I'm respectful towards others. I'm easy going. I might be taking my car, but not quite sure yet.

If you are interested in talking about this further, please let me know. We should try to have something set up by the end of June before prices go up.

Hope to hear from you and congratulations in your acceptance!

Best,

Jorge