Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I used the email address that they purposely provided for us in the interview folder. I was accepted so it worked for me. I would just go with it!

Thanks but I was hoping to send an update pre-interview. Anyone else have luck with that?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who interviewed mid February heard back yet? I know someone said they met on Tuesday, but I still haven't heard anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't worry too much, judging by last year's thread, this happens to most applicants at PCOM around this time of year. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I got delayed decision too... I thought the interview went great!

For those of you getting delayed decision, what date does it give you? April 25th?

it said we will look after the first week of april and then ongoing decisions on a regular basis but no later than may 6th? what did yours say?

I don't have one (yet). But last year's thread had a batch of people who were given April 24th as their decision date--which corresponds to the 25th, this year. I was just wondering if they were following pattern with last year, or if they were adjusting because of the delayed interview calendar.

Good luck to you with the wait! I'll probably be joining you in a few weeks--I interview on Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I have an interview coming up and I have a 10 verbal, 7 physics, and 8 bio. I'm scared the 7 will hurt me. Any advice is appreciated.
If you got an interview then they think you are good enough to come to their school. Don't worry about your mcat score.

Hello,

Can a current PCOM student give us an idea what a typical day is like during first year?

I think most lectures start at 8am, but how does the day progress, what time are you out of class/lab?

Thank you!

Current third year.

We use trimester system. 1st trimester is called SPOM (structural principles of osteopathic medicine) and consists of: anatomy, lab, histology, radiology, embryology. Typically 2-4 hours of lecture in morning with lab in the afternoon. Never starts earlier than 8 am. Rarely goes past 4 pm. One day a week you'll have OMM lab.

Second trimester is CMBM (cellular and molecular basis of medicine) and consists of: immuno, pharm, micro, and biochem. Typically 4 hours of lecture in the morning; occasional afternoon lectures.

Third trimester is systems and you cover CV, renal, pulm. Morning lecture hours because many lectures are clinicians and can't teach in afternoons.

Savvy?

Hi guys,

I have an interview coming up and I have a 10 verbal, 7 physics, and 8 bio. I'm scared the 7 will hurt me. Any advice is appreciated.

I also got a 7 in the physics section but wasn't asked any questions related to the mcat at the interview.

Also, it should be noted that PCOM uses Tegrity--a program that records the lectures. What this means to you is that lectures can be skipped and watched at home. I'd say 30-50% of the class studied this way during the first two years. If you do better going at your own pace, tegrity is likely for you.

Has anyone heard of a final decision after being deferred yet?

I got my interview moved from next week to tomorrow. has this happened to anyone?

Dude, no, that's awful. You must be local? I can't imagine them doing that to anyone who has to fly in.

But on the plus side, I'm interviewing tomorrow as well! I'm in the noon group. Are you as well?

Has anyone heard of a final decision after being deferred yet?

Did you get deferred recently ? I don't think we are supposed to hear until April second week at the earliest

Last edited:
Did you get deferred recently ? I don't think we are supposed to hear until April second week at the earliest

Do you guys know if they're still sending out interview invites? It's getting really late and I'm worried they're already filling up their class.

Does any current student know when PCOM gives out financial aid awards, if you are selected to receive one? Thanks

Do you guys know if they're still sending out interview invites? It's getting really late and I'm worried they're already filling up their class.
Have you already interviewed ? Or are you wondering if interviews are done?

Have you already interviewed ? Or are you wondering if interviews are done?

I heard that interview dates are going into April because of all of the cancellations due to the snow.

I was wondering if they were finished because I've yet to hear anything from pcom.
I don't know for sure if they are still giving out interviews, but I do know they are still interviewing.

Complete at the beginning of September and haven't heard anything from PCOM since. I'm OOS and received interview invites to 2 other schools in PA, but no luck here.

I interviewed March 12. Anyone from that day hear anything?

no clue :( i read somewhere that they're meeting once a month this time of year, so I'd love for someone to confirm that

Has anyone not been accepted post the "delayed decision" letter rather than the WL ?

Has anyone not been accepted post the "delayed decision" letter rather than the WL ?

I got the delayed decision letter but I don't think that everyone who gets' delayed will be accepted, especially since they're still interviewing.

I interviewed Monday and they told us they were still filling the class. They have not started a waiting list yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Question about LOR / applying

Has anyone gotten an interview with three faculty letters vs. getting a pre med committee letter?
It says on their website that pre med committee letter is the preferred? How big of a deal is this vs getting 3 individual letters?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Question about LOR / applying

Has anyone gotten an interview with three faculty letters vs. getting a pre med committee letter?
It says on their website that pre med committee letter is the preferred? How big of a deal is this vs getting 3 individual letters?

Thanks for any help in advance!

My guess would be that the preference is solely for time's sake--it's faster to read a committee letter than it is three separate faculty letters--and it doesn't have any bearing on you as an applicant. Many colleges do not have a pre-med committee, so it wouldn't be fair of PCOM to give preference to applicants who were simply lucky enough to attend a school with a committee. If you can't get a committee letter, I don't think it would be a big deal.

That being said, they likely know the schools that don't have committees, and if you attend one that does have a committee but choose not to submit a committee letter, they might notice and mark you as lazy or disingenuous.

If you're worried that your committee letter won't be as personal/glowing/long as a letter you got from a faculty member, it's possible to submit both. I received an interview with a committee letter, four faculty letters, and two other letters. Whether they read anything but the committee letter is anyone's guess, but I did submit them all and get an interview.

Does anybody know when the committee meets next?
I actually just called today to ask when they would be meeting for those of us with delayed decisions. They couldn't tell me exactly when, but they said interviews will go until mid-April. So I'm guessing they'll meet right after that?

I went to the open house on sunday and talked to an admissions person who said not everyone got the delayed decision letter. honestly though on sdn it looks like everyone who has interviewed in the past month has sooooo

I went to the open house on sunday and talked to an admissions person who said not everyone got the delayed decision letter. honestly though on sdn it looks like everyone who has interviewed in the past month has sooooo
Not everyone gets delayed, my friend said that when interviewing they also do deny, and a lot of holds for various things so apparently only the delayed decision are responding on this site. I think everyone delayed will end up on a wait list and then we have to hold our breath for those who withdraw.

I am a bit frustrated that you can not get a status update until you are declined or invited for an interview...

Not everyone gets delayed, my freind said that when interveiwing they also do deny, and a lot of holds for various things so apparently only the delayed decision are responding on this site. me think everyone delayed will end up on a wait list and then we have to hold our breath for those who withdraw.

I guess but then why are they still interviewing if they don't have spots? like I interviewed late february and there's like a month and a half of interviews after that

I am a bit frustrated that you can not get a status update until you are declined or invited for an interview...
what can they update? you are either invited for an interview or not. does it really matter to know if they have looked at your file, reviewed your file, liked your file? so many files and so few interview spots, it is all a crap shoot