Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know how they were ranked?

It's most likely by bench press. However, if two candidates have the same bench press then deadlifts and squats come into play.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So at PCOM, from what I heard, everyone is raked during their interview out of 30. notice them taking notes and maybe putting a score on the stop of that little sheet? yea that's our score. the wait list is ranked differently and separately than the "delayed decision" list. They look at the DD list more often, and I heard from a member of the committee yesterday, off the record, that getting DD is the best you can get, depending on when you interviewed. I interviewed late, after all 330 acceptance letters had been sent out, so they give use the DD letter which means "there is nothing wrong with our applications or interviews" and that they are looking for seats for us.

Members don't see this ad :)
So at PCOM, from what I heard, everyone is raked during their interview out of 30. notice them taking notes and maybe putting a score on the stop of that little sheet? yea that's our score. the wait list is ranked differently and separately than the "delayed decision" list. They look at the DD list more often, and I heard from a member of the committee yesterday, off the record, that getting DD is the best you can get, depending on when you interviewed. I interviewed late, after all 330 acceptance letters had been sent out, so they give use the DD letter which means "there is nothing wrong with our applications or interviews" and that they are looking for seats for us.
I was also told how many seats were available after the deposit deadline. But knowing this information just makes you go crazy, so I will spare your sanity.

I was also told how many seats were available after the deposit deadline. But knowing this information just makes you go crazy, so I will spare your sanity.

I'm guessing that number is incredibly small? I really liked the school and It's my number one choice, but my chances at this point seem to be winding down haha. I guess I can't complain since I was accepted somewhere else, but hopefully we all hear good news soon?!

Is it a small number?

Does anyone know how many people they deferred?

Does anyone know how many people they deferred?
For some reason, I was thinking it was a small number, but, it's not seeming like it. Right now average accepted MCAT is 27, average GPA is a 3.5

I know they deferred people and said those people would have a decision in April, but then I don't think they heard anything!

For some reason, I was thinking it was a small number, but, it's not seeming like it. Right now average accepted MCAT is 27, average GPA is a 3.5
what was the number of seats available after the deposit?
don't hold out on us.

There is a good phrase we all have to remember here: que sera, sera.

We all waited for how long in our lives to get to this point. How much more waiting will we have in the future with boards, residency applications and interviews? Waiting is a part of this process. If there is a time-sensitive matter (tuition deposits etc.) that must be answered today/this week call them and talk to them about it. If not, what difference does it make if it's yesterday, today, tomorrow? I hate the waiting game too... but it's not going to help anyone to speculate till we are blue in the face. The decisions will be here any moment/day. Until then, go and enjoy spring a little!

they haven't created a waitlist yet......the waitlist is created from the dd list most likely in the May 1st meeting... Like think about it guys why would they be deferring and wait listing people for past three months. I know we're all worried but does that make sense to you?

Members don't see this ad :)
They met the 6th, and they have mailed letters on the 6th. People on hold will be getting mail shortly. I was able to get in contact with someone at admissions. Keep your eyes open for the mail.

Good luck to everyone!

Most of us will probably get the letter tomorrow, but for those of you close to philly, be sure to let us know as sooon as you can, we're dying over here.

Reactions: 1 user
they should be in your mailbox tomorrow..they were all mailed yesterday

I got a letter today, and I got in!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
stalk your mailboxes people, they should be here today.

I for one, am thankful for my unemployment because of this.

Reactions: 2 users
stalk your mailboxes people, they should be here today.

I for one, am thankful for my unemployment because of this.
I am really hating my employment right now because of this ;) Good luck, everyone!!

i live in new york....more waiting....guhhh!

I live about 30 minutes from the school and no mail today...

Here's to another 24 hours of freaking out!

XZYUNOK.jpg

for everyone as neurotic as me, this is mailtime estimates from PCOM's zip code. They likely mailed it Tuesday for the PM time mail pick-up.
hope this helps make sense for those of you 30 minutes away from philly, and why you didn't get mail.

A quick hang-in-there playlist, for those of us who have to drag ourselves through the next twenty-four hours:

Like A Boss - The Lonely Island
It Won't Be Long - The Beatles
Greatest Day - Bowling for Soup
Livin' on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
The Final Countdown - Europe
The Edge of Glory - Lady Gaga
and a High School Musical song of your choice--Bet on It, or Now or Never. Or both!

What's anyone else listening to as we suffer through together?

XZYUNOK.jpg

for everyone as neurotic as me, this is mailtime estimates from PCOM's zip code. They likely mailed it Tuesday for the PM time mail pick-up.
hope this helps make sense for those of you 30 minutes away from philly, and why you didn't get mail.

Only problem is what about the people in philly or right outside?

XZYUNOK.jpg

this is very neurotic. we're going to be friends

For those of you recently accepted off of the "delayed decisions," how long did they state you have to put down a deposit and what was the deposit amount?!

For those of you recently accepted off of the "delayed decisions," how long did they state you have to put down a deposit and what was the deposit amount?!

the matriculation packet said return forms with 250 payment. the acceptance letter said non refundable 1750 by May 20th. Im assuming the whole thing is due by May 20th then? It doesn't specify when the first part is due

While we're all being neurotic, for those already accepted, is the envelope big/small? Thick/thin? Just wondering what to look for in the 2 seconds of panic before I rip it open haha.

While we're all being neurotic, for those already accepted, is the envelope big/small? Thick/thin? Just wondering what to look for in the 2 seconds of panic before I rip it open haha.
all small envelopes

Is everyone on the waiting list getting a letter...accepted or rejected or are they only sending letters to those currently accepted due to recent openings?

This batch is DD people, who haven't gotten a decision at all. In past years, there's been a rush of waitlist movement right after the DD letters go out--combination of us decining, and the waitlist trickledown starting (ie, Harvard, Yale, and Stanford let people off the waitlist, making people at Vanderbilt and UCD withdraw, therefore they let people off the waitlist, so people at Case and Loma Linda withdraw, and eventually PCOM gets hit.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users