Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ACCEPTED! Interviewed 10/9, this is my number one so I will definitely be attending! So excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
accepted! interviewed 10/8. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, they're the same. I'd try giving them a call.
gave them a call yesterday and it ended up being a "technical issue" on their end, ugh ... the stress, thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
I wanted to send a thank you note but remember reading in the information packet to send it to a general email address. Unfortunately, I left my folder at home before leaving for another interview. Would anyone be nice enough to post it for me?

hey guys,
I wanted to send a thank you note but remember reading in the information packet to send it to a general email address. Unfortunately, I left my folder at home before leaving for another interview. Would anyone be nice enough to post it for me?

On the "Interview Day" agenda sheet, at the bottom, it asks that you email thank you messages to [email protected].

for anyone that interviewed on Monday's AM group i completely am blanking on one of my interviewers name. I was in the second group with one of the assistant directions of admissions ( Kevin Zajac). The other interviewer was a retired family med doctor. Anyone who interviewed in that group remember who he was? I remember Dr. M something.

Hahah really relying on the SDN community right now as I sit on my flight back home... haha

how do we check whether our file is complete? My portal only says the received dates of "app fee Sep 22", "committee letter Sep 12", "MCAT scores-Sep 10" and "supplemental app-Sep 23). Does that mean its complete? I'm so confused..I haven't gotten anything besides "Acknowledgement: PCOM Supplemental Processed email"

I think as long as all your "Required's" have a date next to them, and your secondary has been processed, then you are complete.

I think as long as all your "Required's" have a date next to them, and your secondary has been processed, then you are complete.
Correct you are! Some people say their letters move down out of required items, but mine haven't and I confirmed that my file is good to go. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
is anyone attending the Open House Nov. 18th?

for anyone that interviewed on Monday's AM group i completely am blanking on one of my interviewers name. I was in the second group with one of the assistant directions of admissions ( Kevin Zajac). The other interviewer was a retired family med doctor. Anyone who interviewed in that group remember who he was? I remember Dr. M something.

Hahah really relying on the SDN community right now as I sit on my flight back home... haha

I believe who you are referring to is Dr. Marta Motel, a family medicine physician affiliated with PCOM through Lancaster Ave Healthcare Center and an alum of PCOM. http://www.pcom.edu/General_Informa.../Lancaster_Avenue_Center_/Marta_Motel_DO.html

Last edited:
How long for the decision week wise? I have to decide between LECOM and unecom in dec hoping my Pcom decision comes before that

How long for the decision week wise? I have to decide between LECOM and unecom in dec hoping my Pcom decision comes before that
Right there with ya..... Waiting sucks. Thinking about just paying a deposit somewhere to be safe.

Depends on when they meet. Can be from 3-5 weeks

I should be good then if the are good about that time window.

Oh nice! For family too, or just students??

From what I remember it's just students, but I would check the website to see if they had any open houses going on if you're stuck between choosing PCOM and another school

Has anyone been offered a scholarship with their acceptance letters that they talked about. You don't have to say how much just yes or no. Thanks!

If you are coming to interview here, do NOT stay at the Days Inn listed on PCOM's website. Room was 59 degrees and musty when I checked in. It is cheapest rate, but you will pay $20 for parking. Stay at one of the other two hotels that are closer to campus and have free parking! Just a heads up. :)

hey, so anyone else out there go to a school that doesn't have a pre-med committee?

mine didn't, and i don't think my adviser is officially listed as a pre-med adviser, so I'm confused as to if my application will be processed if that box isn't checked on the portal.

anyone have any insight?

hey, so anyone else out there go to a school that doesn't have a pre-med committee?

mine didn't, and i don't think my adviser is officially listed as a pre-med adviser, so I'm confused as to if my application will be processed if that box isn't checked on the portal.

anyone have any insight?
In my situation each individual letter I had was recorded as an additional letter until it was determined that I met the three letter requirement. After that the committee letter box filled in. Others have said that their committee letter box was replaced by science/non science letter boxes. Either way, once you are complete all boxes will be filled.

In my situation each individual letter I had was recorded as an additional letter until it was determined that I met the three letter requirement. After that the committee letter box filled in. Others have said that their committee letter box was replaced by science/non science letter boxes. Either way, once you are complete all boxes will be filled.

yeah i emailed them because i originally sent one bundle of letters for the alternative to the committee packet, and then i sent in a physician letter after i got that. the two science letters from the first sending are there, and the physician letter is there, but the non-science letter (from the first round of sending) isn't there. so there must be an issue with the letter? ugh. anyway, yeah just wait to hear back from them i guess. if by monday they haven't emailed me back, i'm going to call. a week in this process is a long time and can make a difference! frustrating that nothing is ever standardized.

For those of you that don't know...your Lizzy score = (GPA x 10) + MCAT score

yeah so one of my letters wasn't on letterhead so it didn't count. didn't realize i needed to directly request that from a professor, it kind of seems like a no brainer to me when you think about official school/business-based correspondence with another school, especially of an importance of this caliber.

they quote 15 days to process once they receive too. *sigh* if i hadn't already paid the secondary i'd probably just say screw it.

Hey guys, current student here. Good luck with the application process!

Quick question... During your interview, have any of you asked how much dedicated board study time PCOM gives? They refuse to tell us, so I'm wondering if any of you guys heard.

Hey guys, current student here. Good luck with the application process!

Quick question... During your interview, have any of you asked how much dedicated board study time PCOM gives? They refuse to tell us, so I'm wondering if any of you guys heard.
wait what? they won't tell their students how much board prep time they give you?? that sounds strange...

My bf is a 4th year you get off in early may and most people take the boards in june july. There is a prep review course pcom gives during may

Has anyone been offered a scholarship with their acceptance letters that they talked about. You don't have to say how much just yes or no. Thanks!

I got a very respectable merit scholarship with my acceptance. Very pleased. Joining Class of 2019!

Reactions: 2 users
wait what? they won't tell their students how much board prep time they give you?? that sounds strange...

LoL, yeah, the administration doesn't really communicate too well. Its frustrating, but you just have to work around their incompetence, lol. It's really not that bad.

My bf is a 4th year you get off in early may and most people take the boards in june july. There is a prep review course pcom gives during may

They drastically changed the curriculum this year. Traditionally they didn't get any time off, but had an extremely light course load. I can't tell you how they've changed it, because they haven't told us. We have been told that it'll be very different.

Im wondering if anyone else felt like they had a similar experience while interviewing...

Leading up to the interview, I was told by both students and administration that the interview would be very conversational and relaxed. I found the interview to be completely the opposite.The questions varied in difficulty but I felt more like I was on trial than anything. I was asked probably 20 questions in the 30 minute interview. It felt very much like a stress interview.

Anyway, Im not feeling the greatest about this interview. Did anyone have a similar experience? Has anyone been rejected after an interview like this? Accepted?

thanks

Im wondering if anyone else felt like they had a similar experience while interviewing...

Leading up to the interview, I was told by both students and administration that the interview would be very conversational and relaxed. I found the interview to be completely the opposite.The questions varied in difficulty but I felt more like I was on trial than anything. I was asked probably 20 questions in the 30 minute interview. It felt very much like a stress interview.

Anyway, Im not feeling the greatest about this interview. Did anyone have a similar experience? Has anyone been rejected after an interview like this? Accepted?

thanks
I got the same "20 questions" type feeling. Just try to remember that PCOM is one of the schools that tries to standardize questions among applicants - at least that's what the admissions staff told my group. So as much as I want to think I didn't have a lot of time to explain myself, I do think they were just as pressed for time as we were. No sweat! Good luck!

For what it's worth, I interviewed 10/27 and haven't received a decision yet.

thanks
I guess my interview was kind of like this. I just tried my best to have fun answering the questions though and if I didn't have an answer for them I'd tell them up front and they seemed to respect that.

thanks
Yes! I thought I completely blew it. Stress test for sure. Totally thought I'd be brushed aside but I was accepted! I was shocked and very happy bc PCOM was my first choice.

Reactions: 3 users