Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It turns out to be that MCAT and GPA don't mean everything... Because my GPA is 3.82 and MCAT is 29. However, no II as of now. I am so jealous. I hope you will succeed in your interview.
To the contrary. They look at you as a whole. My application is really strong and so its my story.

Members don't see this ad.

I am turning my interview down. I have two acceptances. Do not lose hope.

I just got my new MCAT score. 14PS+12BS+7VR=33. I noticed that PCOM hope the applicants can score 8 or better on VR. Will the 7VR screw up my whole application? English is my second language, and my GPA is 3.82.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my new MCAT score. 14PS+12BS+7VR=33. I noticed that PCOM hope the applicants can score 8 or better on VR. Will the 7VR screw up my whole application? English is my second language, and my GPA is 3.82.
I got a 6 in VR and they send me an invite if that makes you feel better. English is also my second language.

Reactions: 1 users
You will be ABSOLUTELY fine with those scores. They will take all of the above into consideration!

They interviewed through March last year. Don't lose hope quite yet!
They interview like other colleges up to the very last minute and then some. The dust will not settle well into the summer. There will be moving and changing until the day before! (According to my relatives and friends who are alumnae of the college!) Never lose hope!

Reactions: 1 user
They interview like other colleges up to the very last minute and then some. The dust will not settle well into the summer. There will be moving and changing until the day before! (According to my relatives and friends who are alumnae of the college!) Never lose hope!
Yes, but interviews will end in March and they interview mostly the students in their post bac program in March. After that everything is in flux with people withdrawing because they accept someplace else and letters to out to people on the wait list, they are pretty firm on when they end interview.

Yes, but interviews will end in March and they interview mostly the students in their post bac program in March. After that everything is in flux with people withdrawing because they accept someplace else and letters to out to people on the wait list, they are pretty firm on when they end interview.

This is good to know. My immediate family member recalls that an individual was called the day before classes started. He thought he had a late interview beyond March. My point is.............Never lose hope. Great people at PCOM! The best was Carol Fox in admissions! Sorry to hear that she retired.

anybody have an idea if I stand a chance?

3.7/balanced 30, but JUST got that 30 released from 11/7 test date. previous attempt was a measly 24
ECs are good, no red flags

wondering if it's basically too late or not since it's kind of like I just applied since I have that new MCAT

anybody have an idea if I stand a chance?

3.7/balanced 30, but JUST got that 30 released from 11/7 test date. previous attempt was a measly 24
ECs are good, no red flags

wondering if it's basically too late or not since it's kind of like I just applied since I have that new MCAT
You have been accepted by one medical school, it is correct?
Do not forget to send your new MCAT electronically to AACOMAS via MCAT THx.

Last edited:
You have been accepted by one medical school, it is correct?
Do not forget to send your new MCAT electronically to AACOMAS via MCAT THx. The AACOMAS is only responsible for collecting application fees.

yes I've already been accepted to a school I would love to go to, but definitely keeping options open.

yep already sent to AACOMAS and it is shown on my profile under the official MCAT section. I know that AACOMAS only releases once a week though. so it may not get released until next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gave up my seat here today. Hope it goes to one of you fine SDN folks. Good luck everybody!

For those of you who sent in your deposit, was your check deposited? I received an email that it was received but it still hasn't been deposited. I realize I'm being neurotic but just wanted to double check with people here before I give PCOM a call

It took about ten days for mine to be deposited once I received the letter that they received it. Hope this helps!

For those of you who sent in your deposit, was your check deposited? I received an email that it was received but it still hasn't been deposited. I realize I'm being neurotic but just wanted to double check with people here before I give PCOM a call

You need to chilllllllll.

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone have some advice for applicants that have been placed on hold s/p interviewing? Any current students go through this before being accepted?

does anyone have some advice for applicants that have been placed on hold s/p interviewing? Any current students go through this before being accepted?

i know a current student who this happened too and he was accepted 5 days before classes.. prob not what you want to hear, but it could happen...

Anybody else here interviewing for the DO/PhD program?

To the accepted folks: have any of you gotten the acceptance packet yet? They said within 8 weeks after being accepted, right?

Anybody else here interviewing for the DO/PhD program?
So I clecked off the box during my applications. I am not sure if that is what is making them hold my application because I finished it in August. No word from the school yet. And honestly I don't even want to do DO/PhD here anymore since their PhD program is at a no-name school with no-name faculty. Its absurd to waste 2-3 years doing basic/unattractive research that wont take you anywhere in your life. But I would love to hear back from their DO school

So I clecked off the box during my applications. I am not sure if that is what is making them hold my application because I finished it in August. No word from the school yet. And honestly I don't even want to do DO/PhD here anymore since their PhD program is at a no-name school with no-name faculty. Its absurd to waste 2-3 years doing basic/unattractive research that wont take you anywhere in your life. But I would love to hear back from their DO school

you want to be careful ranting about these things online. the attitude you're showing isn't the type that would fit well at pcom.

When I submitted my primary I clicked 'Yes', but my II was pretty much "no thanks on the PhD side but we'd like to interview you for just the DO side." Was accepted after interviewing, so there's hope for ya.

To the accepted folks: have any of you gotten the acceptance packet yet? They said within 8 weeks after being accepted, right?

Still waiting on the packet. My deposit was confirmed on Nov 11th tho, so still within the 8 weeks.

Having a PHD and contributing research is considered a public service. I don't think getting one to flaunt would have been a good reason to originally get one.

Lastly if you're referring to USciences, they are a Well known regional school and their faculty are knowledgeable. The pharm department teaches there and they know more about pharm than any department we've been lectured from thus far

Having a PHD and contributing research is considered a public service. I don't think getting one to flaunt would have been a good reason to originally get one.

Lastly if you're referring to USciences, they are a Well known regional school and their faculty are knowledgeable. The pharm department teaches there and they know more about pharm than any department we've been lectured from thus far
I am not getting a PhD to flaunt around the degree but I would like to use the 3 years to do good research that is funded, resources available, and faculty that can provide guidance on how to become good scientists. I have heard the opposite from another student which is what made me doubt the USciences initially. But thanks for your input, maybe I will check out the program if I get invited for an interview.

You won't have to worry too much about wasting away time on research, PlaqueBuster... They only accept one or two students out of 100+ highly motivated and competitive applicants that "clecked" off that box willing to fight for entry into the dual DO/PhD program.

for anyone that interviewed on Monday's AM group i completely am blanking on one of my interviewers name. I was in the second group with one of the assistant directions of admissions ( Kevin Zajac). The other interviewer was a retired family med doctor. Anyone who interviewed in that group remember who he was? I remember Dr. M something.

Hahah really relying on the SDN community right now as I sit on my flight back home... haha

I had Dr. McLeod, it might be him. I was interviewed in Kevin Zajac's group as well.

You won't have to worry too much about wasting away time on research, PlaqueBuster... They only accept one or two students out of 100+ highly motivated and competitive applicants that "clecked" off that box willing to fight for entry into the dual DO/PhD program.
ok thanks. At this point I have given up on PCOM due to all the silence from them.

Can anyone give an idea of the apartments near PCOM? I've been looking into some but since I'm not near the area, I don't really know which ones are decent. I've got greenbriar, lincoln green, rock hill ? Any insight would be helpful! Thanks guys!

Can anyone give an idea of the apartments near PCOM? I've been looking into some but since I'm not near the area, I don't really know which ones are decent. I've got greenbriar, lincoln green, rock hill ? Any insight would be helpful! Thanks guys!
On a similar note, do any students own houses? If yes, what are good areas to look for raising a young family? Thanks!

Manayunk is popular. Whatever you do, don't live in presidential. I've heard horror stories about that place. Not to mention back in August somebody went out of their way to post signs all over the presidential apartments that said "don't live here" and such things.

On a similar note, do any students own houses? If yes, what are good areas to look for raising a young family? Thanks!

I don't know of many students who own actual houses. I'm sure it can be done, but most of us don't even know where we're going to be in a few years, so I'm sure that plays a roll into the thought process of buying a house.

A bit expensive (less so if you find a roommate) is the Metropolitan Bala. It's on Belmont Ave, right around the corner from PCOM

A bit expensive (less so if you find a roommate) is the Metropolitan Bala. It's on Belmont Ave, right around the corner from PCOM
I'm interested in finding housing near PCOM as well. What kinda apartments in the Bala? 1 bedroom, studio, etc? Do a lot of Pcom people live there?? Thanks for this!

I'm interested in finding housing near PCOM as well. What kinda apartments in the Bala? 1 bedroom, studio, etc? Do a lot of Pcom people live there?? Thanks for this!

I know a lot of people that live there for their first year, then look for cheaper housing after. They have studios, one bedroom and two bedroom apartments. Stays pretty quiet since most of the residents are students. They have a website, you can Google it for current rates (rent includes water and electricity, you pay for gas).

I would suggest visiting the area if you get a chance and checking out housing for yourself, everything looks nice online.

sorry to be changing the subject...but does anyone know if PCOM still has some spots left for next year? Do they send a lot of II in Jan/Feb?

From what I was told on the interview they have most of their interviews early to fill the class and less later on where they are more picky about who they select for an interview as well as who is offered admission.

sorry to be changing the subject...but does anyone know if PCOM still has some spots left for next year? Do they send a lot of II in Jan/Feb?

They typically interview all the way up until March. Last year I believe it was extended do to the ridiculous amount of snow we got

They typically interview all the way up until March. Last year I believe it was extended do to the ridiculous amount of snow we got

I have been completed since late September and still did not hear anything...at this point I am not sure if I will hear back from them :/

I have been completed since late September and still did not hear anything...at this point I am not sure if I will hear back from them :/

There's still more than enough time, I wouldn't start worrying until about March to be honest.

Reactions: 2 users
I hate to write panic-y posts on here but has anyone submitted their deposit and PCOM hasn't acknowledged receipt of it yet? I mailed mine out on 12/11 and as of las Thursday when I called they still didn't have anything.

The lady I spoke too wasn't the friendliest but she mentioned that all updates would be posted on PCOM portal. I took a look at the portal and it specially says no further updates would be posted to the portal. The deadline is 12/23 aka tomorrow and I'm sorta freaking out and thinking of scenarios like my letter got lost. I know mail gets screwed up around holiday time but I mailed from Maryland and it's very nervous wracking that it still hasn't been recieved almost 2 weeks post

Anyone else dealing with similar problem? Any suggestions on what to do ?

I hate to write panic-y posts on here but has anyone submitted their deposit and PCOM hasn't acknowledged receipt of it yet? I mailed mine out on 12/11 and as of las Thursday when I called they still didn't have anything.

The lady I spoke too wasn't the friendliest but she mentioned that all updates would be posted on PCOM portal. I took a look at the portal and it specially says no further updates would be posted to the portal. The deadline is 12/23 aka tomorrow and I'm sorta freaking out and thinking of scenarios like my letter got lost. I know mail gets screwed up around holiday time but I mailed from Maryland and it's very nervous wracking that it still hasn't been recieved almost 2 weeks post

When I called they said as long as it was postmarked by the 23rd, you are fine. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you sent your deposit in, you are not going to lose your seat. At this point, they want you and are willing to help make sure you go there if you want to.

Did you check the portal? It will post things that were received like the deposit, technical standards and official transcripts.