Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you check the portal? It will post things that were received like the deposit, technical standards and official transcripts.

Yeah I checked, there's nothing about a deposit there. I just hope my mail didn't get lost.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone submitted a deposit that hasn't been received yet?

Does PCOM accept update letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone know when the committee will meet in January?

3.9 GPA and 29 MCAT but I havent heard a word from either PCOM location! Did I do something wrong?

3.9 GPA and 29 MCAT but I havent heard a word from either PCOM location! Did I do something wrong?
Maybe, but I remember getting an email from them somewhat late though, and I applied in July. For a school that enrolls 270 students each year, they sure don't hand out many interviews. I have also talked with people who have applied too, and it seems to me that PCOM is quite selective with who they want to offer an interview.

They also have alot of must interviews because of their strong alumni base, they interview about 600 or so. If you interviewed and are put in the wait list they have a very big turn over the few months before classes begin so getting the interview is definitely half the battle. Strong preference for PA residents, DE residents, feeder schools, on and on and on and on. A crap shoot I tell you.

Reactions: 1 user
They also have alot of must interviews because of their strong alumni base, they interview about 600 or so. If you interviewed and are put in the wait list they have a very big turn over the few months before classes begin so getting the interview is definitely half the battle. Strong preference for PA residents, DE residents, feeder schools, on and on and on and on. A crap shoot I tell you.
Just to give people some hope, I would like to point out that I am not from the east coast and I got an interview. It's a private school, and they hand out interviews to people all over the country. It may be that PCOM tends to value east coast applicants more because of their greater tendency to attend.

Soooooo I was recently offered a DO/PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology interview invite at PCOM and I was wondering if I could please get some help and guidance as to how to prepare for this interview as my past 6 hour google search has left me more mentally lost than with any resolutions. I have found a bunch of sample questions and ideas as to how to prep for any dual degree interview such as this; but I haven't been able to find specific ones for PCOm. Any suggested questions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Soooooo I was recently offered a DO/PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology interview invite at PCOM and I was wondering if I could please get some help and guidance as to how to prepare for this interview as my past 6 hour google search has left me more mentally lost than with any resolutions. I have found a bunch of sample questions and ideas as to how to prep for any dual degree interview such as this; but I haven't been able to find specific ones for PCOm. Any suggested questions or information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ahead of time :)

I second this!

Do you think the possible/speculated Jan 6th committee meeting will cover interviews held in the beginning of December?

Eek! I wished they would send email decisions, so I'm not nervous checking my mail all the time, haha

haha. I did the same thing for 3 weeks! I hate snail mail.

Reactions: 2 users
PCOM Nucleus acceptance information packet received via email today

Reactions: 3 users
ME TOO. amazing. This is real

Reactions: 1 users
When did you guys interview??

I interviewed in November. I think most of the people who received their packet via email a few days ago interviewed between September - end of November.

Have there been any recent IIs? Complete early November and havent heard back.

Reactions: 1 users
Have there been any recent IIs? Complete early November and havent heard back.
Me too. Well, complete in October some time, and no news. No II at all. I don't really know if I'm a good candidate. I have a ton of research and clinic experience, and some volunteering. 3.4 UG, 3.6 Grad, 30 MCAT.

I have a friend who was interviewed last year with a 3.6 UG, 3.9 Grad, and 22 MCAT. He didn't get in, but at least he was interviewed. Do they count GPA more than MCAT maybe?

I interviewed a little less than a month ago in December and am still waiting to hear back. They said between 1-6 weeks, so essentially smack in the middle of that time frame right now.

Heard some "letters" were place in the mail recently...

For those of you offered interviews how long did it take PCOM to get back to you once you were complete? Have been complete for a while now and have yet to hear anything :(

Can anyone name the apartment complexes within walking distance of campus?

And a few other complexes relatively nearby

Thank you

Thank you

Metropolitan at bala, mansions at bala. I highly advise against presidential

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you
Join the FB group! A student posted a list of apartments!

What's your opinion on Lincoln Green or Dobson Mills?

I have friends who live in Lincoln green so I could ask them how they like it, however I personally wouldn't live by PCOM just because other than walking to school there's not much going on in that area. If you're in the Manayunk neighborhood of Philly you're walking distance to a ton of bars/restaurants.

Can any current or prospective students comment on the attendance policy at PCOM? Thanks in advance!

I have friends who live in Lincoln green so I could ask them how they like it, however I personally wouldn't live by PCOM just because other than walking to school there's not much going on in that area. If you're in the Manayunk neighborhood of Philly you're walking distance to a ton of bars/restaurants.
What are some nice places in the Manayunk neighborhood to live in?

All labs are mandatory, which includes 1 OMM lab a week.

Thank you, you've been so helpful In this thread

Can you also comment on which buildings are available to students after hours? Do students have access to 24/7?

Thank you, you've been so helpful In this thread

Can you also comment on which buildings are available to students after hours? Do students have access to 24/7?

One of the best things about PCOM is that it's library and campus are open 24/7. If you want to study late night at the anatomy lab at 3 o clock in the morning you can.

Reactions: 4 users
Also accepted, see y'all in the fall :)

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted! Interviewed 12/17; good luck to the rest of you!

My friend was put on "hold." Does anyone know what that means? And chances for acceptance ?

Accepted!! Interviewed on 12/17. Did anyone get a scholarship offer with their acceptance letter?