Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it weird that I just got an interview offer but never submitted a secondary or the deposit here? Like I submitted the primary but nothing else. Weird.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it weird that I just got an interview offer but never submitted a secondary or the deposit here? Like I submitted the primary but nothing else. Weird.
I didn't even know that was possible. :confused:

My friend was put on "hold." Does anyone know what that means? And chances for acceptance ?
It is like the waitlist so when there is no rejection outright there is always hope and they do not rank so not sure what the defining factor is in finally accepting someone

Members don't see this ad :)
Here are some recent updates that you guys probably won't care about for 2 years, but you should.

They gave us 2 weeks for dedicated study time for boards, which is absurdly low. The spring term as a second year has mandatory class every day until early May; we're required to take Step 1 before June 6. The classes do very little to prepare you for boards (Anatomy and CMBM aren't bad, but our systems curriculum does not line up with universal Step 1 resources, and sometimes contradict them).

As for board prep, they force us to do mandatory Combank quizzes every week that are utterly useless, since most of us use better resources. Combank is the least accurate, ****tiest question bank. Their reasoning is ambiguous and confusing. During spring term, we have mandatory question sets from Combank to do every day. That takes time away from doing things like actually learning Physiology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, and development - things our school does not teach us adequately. 50 Questions from Combank means 50 fewer questions from UWorld.

It's still a good school, but DEMAND better when you're a first year. Take class elections seriously, and pick people that will actually fight for your student body.

Reactions: 13 users
When is orientation for new students? Can't find academic calendar.

Here are some recent updates that you guys probably won't care about for 2 years, but you should.

They gave us 2 weeks for dedicated study time for boards, which is absurdly low. The spring term as a second year has mandatory class every day until early May; we're required to take Step 1 before June 6. The classes do very little to prepare you for boards (Anatomy and CMBM aren't bad, but our systems curriculum does not line up with universal Step 1 resources, and sometimes contradict them).

As for board prep, they force us to do mandatory Combank quizzes every week that are utterly useless, since most of us use better resources. Combank is the least accurate, ****tiest question bank. Their reasoning is ambiguous and confusing. During spring term, we have mandatory question sets from Combank to do every day. That takes time away from doing things like actually learning Physiology, Microbiology, Pharmacology, and development - things our school does not teach us adequately. 50 Questions from Combank means 50 fewer questions from UWorld.

It's still a good school, but DEMAND better when you're a first year. Take class elections seriously, and pick people that will actually fight for your student body.

I hope you guys are doing something about this.

2 weeks is insane.

I hope you guys are doing something about this.

2 weeks is insane.

We're ****ed. We bugged our class president for a year, since they sit on the curriculum committee. The administration is completely out of touch with reality.

For example, we're not excused from these mandatory events for USMLE because "it isn't a focus". Meaning, COMLEX is our licensing exam, and USMLE is extraneous. Considering the merger leaves so many unknowns in the future, this proves our administration is completely incompetent and unfit to run a medical school.

We have too many PhD's running the school that are completely unaware with what is important to medical students. They try to blame all 270 of us instead of the 3-4 people that make the decisions.

We're ******. We bugged our class president for a year, since they sit on the curriculum committee. The administration is completely out of touch with reality.

For example, we're not excused from these mandatory events for USMLE because "it isn't a focus". Meaning, COMLEX is our licensing exam, and USMLE is extraneous. Considering the merger leaves so many unknowns in the future, this proves our administration is completely incompetent and unfit to run a medical school.

We have too many PhD's running the school that are completely unaware with what is important to medical students. They try to blame all 270 of us instead of the 3-4 people that make the decisions.
This is pretty scary news. Did your class representatives do anything? Did they push for change? How did previous years do on COMLEX and USMLE (for those who took it)?

Forgot to post. I was accepted!! 28 mcat 3.8 gpa

Reactions: 7 users
Dumb question, but I've never had to get my own place before

How soon before August should I start looking for apartments in earnest and signing a lease ?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The first month is now a didactic month to teach the things they failed to teach us during the first 2 years. They got rid of the 3rd year elective, which pretty much lets you do anything. If you think you might apply for IM at Hospital X, but you already did IM at Hospital Y, now you'll have to wait until 4th year and hopefully get it before interviews. Doing it third year let's you meet some of the residents and attendings and build up a relationship over time.

See above. It's not a bad thing, they're just really bad at scheduling everything; courses, tests, rotations, etc.

Can you please expand on what you mean by "really bad at scheduling everything...."? Examples are useful.

Dumb question, but I've never had to get my own place before

How soon before August should I start looking for apartments in earnest and signing a lease ?

1-2 months before is usually enough . I would take a look now only to get an idea of price ranges in diff areas

Boy is this process emotionally draining...

II THIS MORNING!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Can you please expand on what you mean by "really bad at scheduling everything...."? Examples are useful.

It's so pervasive throughout. This is going to sound like ranting, but they are just specific examples.

Lectures:
8AM: Pathology of X
10AM: Physiology of X
(You should really learn how something works before learning how it breaks)

Example from this week:
8AM eMail telling half the class they have to be at lab at 1 for presentations, giving the presenters lunch to prepare
10:30AM: eMail telling the class that they made a mistake, and it's the other half that has the lab.

But it's worse than just ****ing with your day-to-day.

They move Surgery (easiest class) to the Fall up from the Spring semester to give us more time to study for boards. They didn't plan ahead enough and ended up pushing neuro (our hardest class) further into the Spring semester. They ended up "fixing" it once enough of us complained, but now we have 3 days of class, then 2 finals in a row, then Spring Break, followed by another final the day we get back. Most people use spring break to prep for boards.

"Schedule your USMLE/COMLEX" ... 2 weeks later... "Don't schedule them on these dates, if you did, tough **** and pay to reschedule".

I digress.

Again, it's still a good school, and you're going to find similar **** anywhere you go, but PCOM puts it on a different level. Just avoid being dependent on them at all costs and you'll enjoy your stay.

It's so pervasive throughout. This is going to sound like ranting, but they are just specific examples.

Lectures:

Example from this week:
8AM eMail telling half the class they have to be at lab at 1 for presentations, giving the presenters lunch to prepare
10:30AM: eMail telling the class that they made a mistake, and it's the other half that has the lab.

But it's worse than just ******* with your day-to-day.

They move Surgery (easiest class) to the Fall up from the Spring semester to give us more time to study for boards. They didn't plan ahead enough and ended up pushing neuro (our hardest class) further into the Spring semester. They ended up "fixing" it once enough of us complained, but now we have 3 days of class, then 2 finals in a row, then Spring Break, followed by another final the day we get back. Most people use spring break to prep for boards.

"Schedule your USMLE/COMLEX" ... 2 weeks later... "Don't schedule them on these dates, if you did, tough **** and pay to reschedule".

I digress.

Again, it's still a good school, and you're going to find similar **** anywhere you go, but PCOM puts it on a different level. Just avoid being dependent on them at all costs and you'll enjoy your stay.
Whoa.

Lectures:

Example from this week:

But it's worse than just ******* with your day-to-day.

I digress.

That is very concerning. The most concerning thing you mentioned is the lack of time to prep for boards. As one poster asked above, do you know if the class below you has made any progress in increasing the time allotted for prep?

If you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal until you have an interview?

Trying to figure out different portal systems for some of these med schools...

If you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the portal until you have an interview?

Trying to figure out different portal systems for some of these med schools...

If I remember from last cycle, I don't think I ever received a rejection letter. They also definitely do not update that portal after your file is complete.

If I remember from last cycle, I don't think I ever received a rejection letter. They also definitely do not update that portal after your file is complete.
So then how do you know if you're rejected? The one time I called, I was told to just check the website. How frustrating :/.

So then how do you know if you're rejected? The one time I called, I was told to just check the website. How frustrating :/.

I don't remember if I received a rejection email from them toward the beginning of the new cycle (if I did, I think I might have deleted it from my account :x). But I literally heard no peep from them throughout the whole cycle.

I am trying to find out stats on how many interviews PCOM gives out to students. The AACOM Info Book doesn't give as much detailed information as MSAR does on acceptance stats. Any ideas on how to find this?

Also what is the interview day like? I know multiple people interview at once, but how long do they typically take? How long are you on campus?

Last edited:
My portal doesn't even show that I received an interview...

I am trying to find out stats on how many interviews PCOM gives out to students. The AACOM Info Book doesn't give as much detailed information as MSAR does on acceptance stats. Any ideas on how to find this?

Also what is the interview day like? I know multiple people interview at once, but how long do they typically take? How long are you on campus?

I'm not sure on the stats for interviews. But for your other question, the interview day consists of either breakfast/lunch, a tour, a fin aid presentation, and then interviews. Typically takes about 4 hours if you're the last person to interview. Interviews can last up to 30 minutes, I believe.

From the year I was accepted, PCOM had roughly 7,300~ applicants and gave out about 600 interviews with 400 acceptances for a class of 270. That's from off the top of my head, my numbers might be a little off. For more accurate numbers, I have posted it earlier in this thread if you want to go look for it.

I'm not sure on the stats for interviews. But for your other question, the interview day consists of either breakfast/lunch, a tour, a fin aid presentation, and then interviews. Typically takes about 4 hours if you're the last person to interview. Interviews can last up to 30 minutes, I believe.
When can we expect to be done? I'm planning on heading out that day but would stay another night so I don't have to travel at night.

Me either. I just checked my portal and everything is blank in the status column.
They note somewhere that they don't update status, they do send out something to everyone who did not get an interview but they don't do pre interview rejection.

When can we expect to be done? I'm planning on heading out that day but would stay another night so I don't have to travel at night.

Morning group 12/12:30 at latest, afternoon group 4/4:30. It does depend on if your tour person gives you a long / short tour and when you interview. They break up your group of 8 into two groups of 4 and then the interview takes about 30 minutes. Also, you could just have a small interview group of only 4. It's really hard to say exactly when you'll be out.

Last edited:
For those of you inquiring about the amount of time given for board prep, a second year posted this on the facebook page:
"Still to be determined in regards to board prep time... I'm not even sure that has been decided for our schedule yet... there's no point during the trimester (which goes until mid-May) where we will have absolutely no commitments at school, however, they are working to put some study time into our schedules as part of one of our classes (for which right now we have been taking weekly board-like quizzes). Our final trimester is relatively light on work-load in the sense that it is only pediatrics, geriatrics, emergency medicine II, OMM, and PCS. Hopefully that helps."

I applied pretty late; application completed on Jan 16.
Any idea about when I might get an ii from them?
3.5 gpa / 3.4 sgpa / 24 mcat

This late? I'm going to be honest, you're not looking to good with those stats. I'd look to bring up your MCAT

Get everything prepared and you might be okay for next cycle. MCAT is a bit low for this school though

Get everything prepared and you might be okay for next cycle. MCAT is a bit low for this school though

What was the breakdown of your mcat? I think this will matter if you are deciding whether your score is good neighbor not. An 8-8-8 is much different from a 12-5-7. Just my opinion though.

What was the breakdown of your mcat? I think this will matter if you are deciding whether your score is good neighbor not. An 8-8-8 is much different from a 12-5-7. Just my opinion though.
I don't think the split really matters here. Pcom gets so many apps and this is also very late. There is no way they are going to interview someone with a 24.

I heard through the grapevine about some possible 'linkage' between the PCOM MS post-bacc & the PCOM DO program. Does anyone else know details behind this? The website doesn't really say anything, but I've heard about a linkage multiple times.

I heard through the grapevine about some possible 'linkage' between the PCOM MS post-bacc & the PCOM DO program. Does anyone else know details behind this? The website doesn't really say anything, but I've heard about a linkage multiple times.

3.0 in the program with a 24 MCAT (8 in each section) is a guaranteed interview.

When I interviewed at PCOM a little while ago we were told that we should receive a decision by mail within 5 weeks. Does anyone know if they also notify students by email?

EDIT: Changed "would receive" to "should receive"

Last edited by a moderator:
When I interviewed at PCOM a little while ago we were told that we should receive a decision by mail within 5 weeks. Does anyone know if they also notify students by email?

EDIT: Changed "would receive" to "should receive"

Snail mail only

Can any current students comment on some concerns I have? I heard from a current student that the courses are not taught "towards the COMLEX." Also, I'm deciding between PCOM and a smaller school, and I'm slightly worried that at a bigger school like PCOM, admin/faculty are less invested in the individual students' success and it will be more difficult to get help/support from, say, faculty or the rotations coordinator. I also heard a rumor that the lecture halls don't have enough seats for students...which seems quite absurd. Any thoughts?