Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know Kevin Zajac and Marsha Williams' email address and if so could you inbox it to me? Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

I received a notification of deferred decision today. I interviewed on 1/14/15.

I'm really bummed out about this. I thought the interview went very well and my stats are pretty good (two MCAT scores: August 2014, 25 (9 PS/9 VR/7 BS), December 2014, 30 (10 PS/9 VR/11 BS), cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.6). It wasn't even 2 weeks ago that I interviewed so I was thinking quick news would either be acceptance or rejection, so I don't even know what to think about deferral.

Can any current students comment on some concerns I have? I heard from a current student that the courses are not taught "towards the COMLEX." Also, I'm deciding between PCOM and a smaller school, and I'm slightly worried that at a bigger school like PCOM, admin/faculty are less invested in the individual students' success and it will be more difficult to get help/support from, say, faculty or the rotations coordinator. I also heard a rumor that the lecture halls don't have enough seats for students...which seems quite absurd. Any thoughts?

Medical schools in the US say things like "we don't teach towards the boards", which is also said at PCOM. I wouldn't worry about that since the only medical schools that do say they "teach to the boards" are the ones located on islands where the weather is warm and sunny. Our rotation sites are awesome, and are shared by neighboring medical schools. The rumor about lecture halls not having enough seats is an exaggeration. There is front row of seats that are the chair/desk combo that you've probably seen in high school.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Medical schools in the US say things like "we don't teach towards the boards", which is also said at PCOM. I wouldn't worry about that since the only medical schools that do say they "teach to the boards" are the ones located on islands where the weather is warm and sunny. Our rotation sites are awesome, and are shared by neighboring medical schools. The rumor about lecture halls not having enough seats is an exaggeration. There is front row of seats that are the chair/desk combo that you've probably seen in high school.

Thanks so much for the info! Also, if you wouldn't mind answering, how has your experience been with the faculty at PCOM? Is there any kind of open door policy? And is it truly a "family" atmosphere where students help each other out?

Thanks so much for the info! Also, if you wouldn't mind answering, how has your experience been with the faculty at PCOM? Is there any kind of open door policy? And is it truly a "family" atmosphere where students help each other out?

I found that professors are very approachable, and if you need help it's easy to get in touch with them. There are some administrators who we feel are out of touch with the student body, I think this mostly pertained to boards. Also btw second years have 5 weeks of board study time (spoke to a second year and was told this). As far as the family atmosphere I can tell you that is 1000% true. Joining the FB group is a must. You'll see people are constantly posting study guides, helping each other out, and what not.

Reactions: 3 users
How long does it usually take everybody (whoever got accepted) to know if you're IN after the interview? And you have any interview tips that you don't mind sharing? Thanks guys!!

How long does it usually take everybody (whoever got accepted) to know if you're IN after the interview? And you have any interview tips that you don't mind sharing? Thanks guys!!

After your interview you are mailed a decision within 1 to 5 weeks. The possible decisions are accepted, rejected, or deferred decision (I don't believe anyone is waitlisted before being deferred but I'm not 100% sure about that). If you are deferred, it just means your application is placed on hold to be reviewed again in the future.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm really bummed out about this. I thought the interview went very well and my stats are pretty good (two MCAT scores: August 2014, 25 (9 PS/9 VR/7 BS), December 2014, 30 (10 PS/9 VR/11 BS), cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.6). It wasn't even 2 weeks ago that I interviewed so I was thinking quick news would either be acceptance or rejection, so I don't even know what to think about deferral.

I was deferred as well, but got an acceptance the following month. If this school is your top choice, continue to show interest. Don't lost hope just yet!

I was deferred as well, but got an acceptance the following month. If this school is your top choice, continue to show interest. Don't lost hope just yet!

Thank you for your very kind and hopeful words. I have just started some new medical work and clinical volunteering so I suppose I'll have some worthwhile updates for them. I'm considering sending a letter of intent but I'm not sure if I want to commit 100% just yet. I really did love the school though and being in Philadelphia for medical school would be amazing.

Thank you for your very kind and hopeful words. I have just started some new medical work and clinical volunteering so I suppose I'll have some worthwhile updates for them. I'm considering sending a letter of intent but I'm not sure if I want to commit 100% just yet. I really did love the school though and being in Philadelphia for medical school would be amazing.
Tried to update, they are only accept transcript and MCAT scores now, guess they are getting a ton of emails with updates.

My friend who does tours said that anyone interviewing now is probably going to be waitlisted eventually, they may accept a few people and then hold everyone else for waitlist, but better than an outright rejection I suppose.

My friend who does tours said that anyone interviewing now is probably going to be waitlisted eventually, they may accept a few people and then hold everyone else for waitlist, but better than an outright rejection I suppose.
What's the reason for this? I want to interview for an acceptance, a real spot in that class, not a wait list spot!

I got an ii today, and then I read this... :(

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the reason for this? I want to interview for an acceptance, a real spot in that class, not a wait list spot!

This happens just because of the nature of the application cycle. Since it starts in the summer and interviews usually begin in September, schools will start to hand out acceptances early and they only give out so many in a given cycle. As we approach the back end of the year there are less and less acceptances being given and more wait list places being assigned.

I got an ii today, and then I read this... :(

I wouldn't stress too much about this. There are probably people who have multiple acceptances who did not decide yet because they dont have to make the decision yet. I'm sure this happens every year at a lot of schools. It is better to have this happen than to get accepted, but then find out last minute they overfilled the class and you lost your seat.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing. Direct rejection is far better than waitlist then rejection.

Mine is Thursday feb 12th. Notified via email. Jesse we have to cook!

Reactions: 1 users
PCOM is my top choice. I was complete in October and have yet to hear back from them. What is an appropriate way to continue to show interest?

PCOM's waitlist has some decent turnover during the summer. Don't lose hope too soon.

Reactions: 2 users
This is true. Also expect movement after April
hey TopTomato,
do you know when the next time the admissions committee is meeting? I interviewed recently and I am trying to wait patiently!! thanks!

hey TopTomato,
do you know when the next time the admissions committee is meeting? I interviewed recently and I am trying to wait patiently!! thanks!

I wish I could help you out. Usually I don't know when they meet unless something filters through the grape vine. If I hear anything i'll let you guys know.

I wish I could help you out. Usually I don't know when they meet unless something filters through the grape vine. If I hear anything i'll let you guys know.
Top Tomato, what are best places to live if you have a family w young kids?

Anyone know how full the class is now approximately?

Current 4th year at PCOM. Fire away any questions you may have (although I can't answer anything in regards to class size, interviews, etc)

Current 4th year at PCOM. Fire away any questions you may have (although I can't answer anything in regards to class size, interviews, etc)

Bless you <3 What made you choose PCOM? The school's strongest point and most needed area of improvement? How would you recommend that incoming students make the most of the schools resources?

Bless you <3 What made you choose PCOM? The school's strongest point and most needed area of improvement? How would you recommend that incoming students make the most of the schools resources?

What made me choose PCOM? a) it's in Philly; b) great reputation/recognition; c) personal ties to some great alumni physicians

Strongest point: culture--the whole place is really family-like and everybody looks out for each other. It's much easier to get through school when you enjoy being around the people they select (chose my words carefully).

Weakest point: ignorance/arrogance--sometimes the school's success gets into some faculty-members' heads and impedes progress. Ex--my first year they instituted this project that we thought was dumb. It continued into our second year. My class had the best board scores the school has ever had and the admins attributed it to their project when it most certainly was not.

Resources: school has a ton of them at your disposal, including: every journal out there, tons of electronic textbooks, a brand-new sim lab with da vinci (my personal favorite), faculty are incredibly open, etc. However, sometimes having too many resources can be bad (them being there isn't bad, per se, but an individual's inability to cipher out what they need or don't need is). Either way....you have resources.

Reactions: 4 users
What made me choose PCOM? a) it's in Philly; b) great reputation/recognition; c) personal ties to some great alumni physicians

Strongest point: culture--the whole place is really family-like and everybody looks out for each other. It's much easier to get through school when you enjoy being around the people they select (chose my words carefully).

Weakest point: ignorance/arrogance--sometimes the school's success gets into some faculty-members' heads and impedes progress. Ex--my first year they instituted this project that we thought was dumb. It continued into our second year. My class had the best board scores the school has ever had and the admins attributed it to their project when it most certainly was not.

Resources: school has a ton of them at your disposal, including: every journal out there, tons of electronic textbooks, a brand-new sim lab with da vinci (my personal favorite), faculty are incredibly open, etc. However, sometimes having too many resources can be bad (them being there isn't bad, per se, but an individual's inability to cipher out what they need or don't need is). Either way....you have resources.

I found this to be very true. Lot's of students posting study guides or suggesting the best review books for material. At times it can seem overwhelming being so new to medical school and not knowing which resources are the best to pick from

I am not sure how to express what I am trying to ask. I guess it's more of a subjective question, but in your opinion, is there is a noticeable difference in how difficult the adjustment at PCOM is for students who have had higher level course work and those who have not? (for example: students who had taken biochem and histology to those who have never been exposed to it).

I am not sure how to express what I am trying to ask. I guess it's more of a subjective question, but in your opinion, is there is a noticeable difference in how difficult the adjustment at PCOM is for students who have had higher level course work and those who have not? (for example: students who had taken biochem and histology to those who have never been exposed to it).

Anecdotally, zero difference. Whatever gap exists disappears rapidly if they're a good student

If you don't mind me asking, when did you receive your acceptance? Was it after the late April date that they state in the letter? And did you send a letter of intent or anything prior to the acceptance?

Anecdotally, zero difference. Whatever gap exists disappears rapidly if they're a good student
Hey!! Thanks for answering questions. So..how much time did you have to study for boards? Did you take both the Comlex and USMLE? Have you seen any stigmas against you during your residency interview trail?

Thanks so much for the info! 2 more questions for you: What are the average apartment costs in the area? And does PCOM have support for students' family/significant others or social events for students outside of class?

Hey!! Thanks for answering questions. So..how much time did you have to study for boards? Did you take both the Comlex and USMLE? Have you seen any stigmas against you during your residency interview trail?

If I correctly recall, I had about 4 solid weeks to study without other course work; before that, however, it was pretty light so you could still study

I took both COMLEX and USMLE because I was a good student, knew I could do well on USMLE and wanted to keep as many doors open as possible.

I'm [hopefully] going into urology. In the MD world there is still a significant bias against DOs (i'm talking about in the md urology world) in that candidates who would be solid candidates if they were MDs are totally discounted. That being said, my motto is always: don't listen to that ****--go be the person from your school that matches somewhere great.

Thanks so much for the info! 2 more questions for you: What are the average apartment costs in the area? And does PCOM have support for students' family/significant others or social events for students outside of class?

I think if you shared a place with other people you could only spend $400-500/month. Some local places run about ~1000 or 1100 if you wanted to live alone. Trust me...you can find affordable housing.

There are social events for students outside of class, but i'm not sure about support for family/significant others.

I was complete August 12 and haven't heard anything at all...