Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed today- I was blown away. Now I understand why everyone loves this school!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Interviewed today- I was blown away. Now I understand why everyone loves this school!!
It is a pretty cool place and I loved the actual "campus" feel of the school. Tough to turn down an acceptance here and I'm pulling for you to snag that seat!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is a pretty cool place and I loved the actual "campus" feel of the school. Tough to turn down an acceptance here and I'm pulling for you to snag that seat!

If you don't mind my asking, what made you pick another school over PCOM?

Thanks osteohack! DMU is an amazing school too- that had to be a really tough decision. Best of luck to you!

@cometstarg I got very lucky with some invites to a lot of very different schools... New, old, urban, rural. It actually just so happened that PCOM and DMU were my last 2 interviews so I had quite a bit of time to really think it over and decide what was important to me. At first I was set on going to PCOM because I thought that was my best bet to get a really great education. After visiting a lot of different schools I realized I could get a very solid academic experience wherever I put in as much hard work as I can.

The deciding factor for me was location and the overall vibe I got from the school. I'm from the Midwest and I enjoy having a slower pace to life. My parents are from Philly so I'm familiar with the city, but I'm not sure I would want to live there. I did go in to the cycle knowing that - but I was willing to make the trade off for a good education. After visiting DMU and Des Moines I found a city fairly similar to the one I grew up in and loved it. After talking with the dean at DMU I got a great feeling as far as being a well rounded student when I graduated, similar to the feeling I got at PCOM.

The 'vibe' thing is hard to describe just because it is so different for everyone. PCOM is a wonderful school and it absolutely appeals to tons of applicants. At the end of the day while I loved the interview day and know I would have been happy there, I chose DMU because it more closely matched my preference in lifestyle and environment and I very easily clicked with every student I met.

I'll probably be slaughtered on SDN for not going to PCOM because it's 'top tier' or something. But at the end of the day it's a personal choice knowing that while the academic opportunities are huge at both places, the environment of the school just matched better for me elsewhere.

Reactions: 4 users
@cometstarg I got very lucky with some invites to a lot of very different schools... New, old, urban, rural. It actually just so happened that PCOM and DMU were my last 2 interviews so I had quite a bit of time to really think it over and decide what was important to me. At first I was set on going to PCOM because I thought that was my best bet to get a really great education. After visiting a lot of different schools I realized I could get a very solid academic experience wherever I put in as much hard work as I can.

The deciding factor for me was location and the overall vibe I got from the school. I'm from the Midwest and I enjoy having a slower pace to life. My parents are from Philly so I'm familiar with the city, but I'm not sure I would want to live there. I did go in to the cycle knowing that - but I was willing to make the trade off for a good education. After visiting DMU and Des Moines I found a city fairly similar to the one I grew up in and loved it. After talking with the dean at DMU I got a great feeling as far as being a well rounded student when I graduated, similar to the feeling I got at PCOM.

The 'vibe' thing is hard to describe just because it is so different for everyone. PCOM is a wonderful school and it absolutely appeals to tons of applicants. At the end of the day while I loved the interview day and know I would have been happy there, I chose DMU because it more closely matched my preference in lifestyle and environment and I very easily clicked with every student I met.

I'll probably be slaughtered on SDN for not going to PCOM because it's 'top tier' or something. But at the end of the day it's a personal choice knowing that while the academic opportunities are huge at both places, the environment of the school just matched better for me elsewhere.

Well to me it sounds like you definitely made the right choice for you, and I think that's what matters most. Good luck at DMU!

I think that's a very mature, respectful way to approach your decision. I hope you don't get slaughtered on SDN. Good luck!

You gotta go where you're going to be happy at. At the end of the day medical education is what YOU make of it. It doesn't matter if you go to Harvard or LUCOM, at the end of the day learning the material is on you and you alone.

You gotta go where you're going to be happy at. At the end of the day medical education is what YOU make of it. It doesn't matter if you go to Harvard or LUCOM, at the end of the day learning the material is on you and you alone.

I like and respect the bolded sentiment, but that's quite the stretch. Yes, the truth is your medical education is what you make of it. There are incredibly intelligent people in all schools who are lazy and don't reach their potential.

@cometstarg

All that 'top tier' stuff is pre-med horse-****. In my opinion (and many others), the best way to pick a school, whether MD or DO, is:

1) Can I get a good education here?

AND

2) Is it a good fit?

If it has both, then you're good to go.

I like and respect the bolded sentiment, but that's quite the stretch. Yes, the truth is your medical education is what you make of it. There are incredibly intelligent people in all schools who are lazy and don't reach their potential.

Lol yeah I exaggerated a little but it is true about working hard in medical school. I've watched a lot of smart people who don't do as well as they should because they believe they're "too smart" and don't have to study as much as the rest of us. And of course when they don't do well they end up blaming professors, or the school instead of taking responsibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone interviewing on Thursday? Also, any tips?
It's a very laid back interview, depending on which group you interview in, you will either have adcomm + physician or adcomm with student. The day starts with a tour, then lunch, meeting with financial aid, then your interview, which lasts about 20-30 minutes. They have standard questions that they ask everyone and then some follow-up questions depending on your answers. I would recommend looking over the PCOM interview feedback on sdn to get a feel for the type of questions. Good luck!

Lol yeah I exaggerated a little but it is true about working hard in medical school. I've watched a lot of smart people who don't do as well as they should because they believe they're "too smart" and don't have to study as much as the rest of us. And of course when they don't do well they end up blaming professors, or the school instead of taking responsibility.
I have relatives who are physicians, DO and MD. They all agree that the individual makes his worth as a good doctor. One of the worst doctors I ever came in contact with had a degree from one of the best Higher tiered MD schools. Just could not relate to people. Would have done so much better in research. The best graduated from a so called "lower tiered" DO school. YOU will decide what you bring to the table after you graduate. You will hang your diploma in your office etc and the majority of your patients do not care "where you came from" just what you can do for them. Just my thoughts!

It's a very laid back interview, depending on which group you interview in, you will either have adcomm + physician or adcomm with student. The day starts with a tour, then lunch, meeting with financial aid, then your interview, which lasts about 20-30 minutes. They have standard questions that they ask everyone and then some follow-up questions depending on your answers. I would recommend looking over the PCOM interview feedback on sdn to get a feel for the type of questions. Good luck!

Sounds good, thanks for the info!

Sounds good, thanks for the info!
Mine was about 40 minutes, but in general it wasn't too difficult. They asked a few difficult questions but I found that they respected you stopping to think before answering. Good luck! You'll understand what everyone is raving about once you get on campus :joyful:

I've been complete since late August and haven't heard a word from PCOM. Should I take this as a silent rejection?

Just an FYI, I heard PCOM received over 9000 primary applications this year! They told us that's about 2000 more than last year, so it's definitely taking more time to review applications!

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you inquiring about the amount of time given for board prep, a second year posted this on the facebook page:
"Still to be determined in regards to board prep time... I'm not even sure that has been decided for our schedule yet... there's no point during the trimester (which goes until mid-May) where we will have absolutely no commitments at school, however, they are working to put some study time into our schedules as part of one of our classes (for which right now we have been taking weekly board-like quizzes). Our final trimester is relatively light on work-load in the sense that it is only pediatrics, geriatrics, emergency medicine II, OMM, and PCS. Hopefully that helps."
Follow up from him
"Just to give an update to this now that we have our Term 3 schedule, for anyone that was curious... Our Life Stages class ends on April 7. After that point, we just have some OMM, PCS, and EMED classes but for the most part we have every day in the morning completely free, and occasional classes in the afternoons... so essentially a month of relatively organized board prep time as most of us are taking Step 1 towards the end of May."

Follow up from him
"Just to give an update to this now that we have our Term 3 schedule, for anyone that was curious... Our Life Stages class ends on April 7. After that point, we just have some OMM, PCS, and EMED classes but for the most part we have every day in the morning completely free, and occasional classes in the afternoons... so essentially a month of relatively organized board prep time as most of us are taking Step 1 towards the end of May."

Second years got 5 weeks of board study time

almost all of who? march interviewees or does that include feb too?
Most of February, some will get accepts because of withdrawals that come up but they have a pretty big waitlist. After the final deposit is due and those who don't pay get taken off the list, they will start using those on the waitlist.

I'm interviewing with you tomorrow. I already have ATSU-KCOM and Nova admits and just interviewed at Albany Med. I tried not to rank schools and come and see what they have to offer. Obviously, I can't yet give specific advice about the PCOM interview, but in general, be friendly and well dressed or you'll standout. For example, at Albany Med a girl showed up with a completely wrinkled suit (she stood out but for the wrong reasons). At ATSU-KCOM, there was one guy that would not interact or talk to anyone else in the group (again, not positive). Hope you have an acceptance in hand. If not, you will after tomorrow. Good luck!

P.S. - If someone is reading this and knows where the interview feedback page for PCOM is located, can you post a link? Can't seem to locate it (granted, I just drove for the last several hours so might just be fatigue).

Anyone interviewing on Thursday? Also, any tips?

Last edited:
I'm interviewing with you tomorrow. I already have ATSU-KCOM and Nova admits and just interviewed at Albany Med. I tried not to rank schools and come and see what they have to offer. Obviously, I can't yet give specific advice about the PCOM interview, but in general, be friendly and well dressed or you'll standout. For example, at Albany Med a girl showed up with a completely wrinkled suit (she stood out but for the wrong reasons). At ATSU-KCOM, there was one guy that would not interact or talk to anyone else in the group (again, not positive). Hope you have an acceptance in hand. If not, you will after tomorrow. Good luck!

P.S. - If someone is reading this and knows where the interview feedback page for PCOM is located, can you post a link? Can't seem to locate it (granted, I just drove for the last several hours so might just be fatigue).

http://schools.studentdoctor.net/schools/?view=medical&reload=1&r=1423749449684

I think this is what you are talking about it? It's easier to find it when you have the newer layout of SDN set as your preference.

It's confidential apparently (a little weird since all other school told me the exact date, or at least how often they meet). They do not share it with anyone outside of admissions so no one will know.

Does anyone know when the committee meets next?

It's confidential apparently (a little weird since all other school told me the exact date, or at least how often they meet). They do not share it with anyone outside of admissions so no one will know.
At my interview they said that the "committee meets every 5 weeks" so as vague as that is, I know it'll be 5-6 weeks at most until I get a decision. Longest 6 weeks ever...

The information could be false! But I'll be checking my mailbox all next week

Did anyone else have Dr. Hendrick for their interviewer, and if so, did anyone get her email address?

Hey guys,

If you have an interview during Febuary, how much likely would be the chance of acceptance?

Thanks

Anyone been silent since October? I want to call but they said clearly not to call for status updates.

4sGvtb5.jpg

Hey guys, does anyone know why the "Pre-Health Advsr/Committee Ltr" is coming up blank since all the letters below that have been received?

Did you actually have a committee letter or just the three separate letters?

Three separate letters. (four actually - 1 DO, 2 SCI, 1 NON-SCI)

I've read this line 10 times but I can't figure it out:
  1. The “Pre-Health Advisor/Committee Letter” will appear as required until the approved letter is received and/or all three of the alternative letters (two science faculty/one other faculty) are received/processed.

4sGvtb5.jpg

Hey guys, does anyone know why the "Pre-Health Advsr/Committee Ltr" is coming up blank since all the letters below that have been received?

You don't have a non-sci faculty LOR listed. It will show up as that and then the box up top will be filled.

Oh. The letter marked as "Miscellaneous Ltr of Recommend" is actually from an economics professor. You guys think I should give them a call and ask?

Oh. The letter marked as "Miscellaneous Ltr of Recommend" is actually from an economics professor. You guys think I should give them a call and ask?

yes, i would call asap, otherwise your application won't be complete.

Three separate letters. (four actually - 1 DO, 2 SCI, 1 NON-SCI)

I've read this line 10 times but I can't figure it out:
This line was the most confusing thing ever. I have a committee letter and it still appeared as required but nobody would confirm or deny that I was complete and had everything in.

4sGvtb5.jpg

All the letters have not been received, looks like you are missing your second science letter.

Interviewed 1/29/15
Delayed Decision
Letter Received 2/17/15
Post Marked 2/13/15
Live ~2 hours from Philly

"Following your recent interview, the Faculty Committee on Admissions is delaying a decision on your application for admission to the DO Class entering in August, 2015.

We will continue to interview applicants through the first week of April. Once the interview process has been completed, the Fcaulty COmmittee on Admissions will be able to finalize the selection of the Class of 2019. As soon as a decision is reached regarding your application, we will contact you. Decision letters will be mailed on an ongoing basis and no later than April 30, 2015.

Your interest in Philadelphia COllege ofOsteopathic Medicine and the sutdy of osteopathic medicine is appreciated."​

Can anyone provide me with more information regarding "delayed decision"? Are they still offering acceptances to those who are interviewing or will all the candidates from this point forward be delayed? ? Approximately what percent of the "delayed decision candidates" are accepted before the wait list is created? Does anyone know how full the 2015 class is?

Anyone know to whom a letter of intent should be addressed? I was advised to sent a letter of intent to the Dean, does anyone know if the Dean even has a say in PCOM's admissions?

Interviewed 1/29/15
Delayed Decision
Letter Received 2/17/15
Post Marked 2/13/15

"Following your recent interview, the Faculty Committee on Admissions is delaying a decision on your application for admission to the DO Class entering in August, 2015.

We will continue to interview applicants through the first week of April. Once the interview process has been completed, the Fcaulty COmmittee on Admissions will be able to finalize the selection of the Class of 2019. As soon as a decision is reached regarding your application, we will contact you. Decision letters will be mailed on an ongoing basis and no later than April 30, 2015.

Your interest in Philadelphia COllege ofOsteopathic Medicine and the sutdy of osteopathic medicine is appreciated."​

Can anyone provide me with more information regarding "delayed decision"? Are they still offering acceptances to those who are interviewing or will all the candidates from this point forward be delayed? ? Approximately what percent of the "delayed decision candidates" are accepted before the wait list is created? Does anyone know how full the 2015 class is?

After the deposit is due in April you will start to see movement off of the waitlist and get a better idea of how full the class size is.

Interviewed 1/29/15
Delayed Decision
Letter Received 2/17/15
Post Marked 2/13/15

Every year it is different, really depends on us I guess. My friend said that out of 50 that would be accepted, only 5 of 6 were offered seats, the rest delayed decision and then they will go to wait list.