Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this post comes from a good place, but I honestly found being on SDN during applications to be awful exactly because of these posts. I hated constantly measuring myself against other people in the application cycle when things were not going well for me. It caused a ton of anxiety. I ended up pretty much staying clear of SDN until I received my first acceptance for this reason.
Sorry, not my intent in the least.................

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's a little premature for this type of statement though it may have come from a good place. Let's keep HOPE alive for those you can't change their status to 'accepted' yet.
It's a little premature for this type of statement though it may have come from a good place. Let's keep HOPE alive for those you can't change their status to 'accepted' yet.

Absolutely..........I think I said that admissions can go till the day before! I know a doctor that this happened to and he is a graduate of PCOM. If I projected any other scenario of not keeping hope alive, I sincerely apologize! It is not over until August 10, 2015 when all applicants are due to arrive! Trust me.............That statement comes to me from alumnus of PCOM!

People were accepted all the way through July last year and it's not even June. Do you know anyone in the committee? Just curious where you got this information from.
Just what my friend has heard and of course they will keep accepting us when people reject their acceptance. I heard one year they accepted the week before start because someone pulled out. That person they accepted so late had to have been local.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just what my friend has heard and of course they will keep accepting us when people reject their acceptance. I heard one year they accepted the week before start because someone pulled out. That person they accepted so late had to have been local.[/QUOTE
Analyze the past years' threads and you can see that approx 5 people could be called in July alone and those were just ones on SDN. Not all are on or post!

Does anyone know why some people were placed on delayed decision? What's the point of two separate delayed decision lists?

#Questions that PCOM avoids answering when I call them.

Does anyone know why some people were placed on delayed decision? What's the point of two separate delayed decision lists?

#Questions that PCOM avoids answering when I call them.

Feel your pain. Interviewed four months ago and i'm still delayed.

My letter that told me I was on the delayed list specifically told me why.

Really? They won't tell me why and they said that they would let me know if there was a problem/they needed something more from me.

hmmmm that's strange. Perhaps in this case a delayed decision is the same as being wait listed.

From what my friend says a delayed decision is when they can not decide to accept, reject or wait list. Soon they will send out the final decisions and the delayed decision will go away. It's a crazy process but one we just have to work with.

Finally a decision! Rejected today via snail mail. LECOM here I come!
Submitted application 6/3, complete 9/2014, II 1/21, Interview: 2/5 Delayed Decision: 2/18, rejected 5/30.

Members don't see this ad :)

White coat ordered (check), getting an apartment (check), going to a school that was one of my top choices (check) and..............going where they liked you from the very, very beginning (priceless!) As soon as the cycle opened, you were there interviewing and got your acceptance right away.................Good luck to you ALWAYS!

Submitted application 6/3, complete 9/2014, II 1/21, Interview: 2/5 Delayed Decision: 2/18, rejected 5/30.

Did PCOM ask to see an update while your decision was on hold?

They asked nothing and acted as if I was the nuisance for calling after waiting 3+ months for a decision.

Can we expect any waitlist update emails soon? The silence is killing me!

Any one have opinions of Duffield House Apartments, Metropolitan Bala, or Imperial Towers?
Thanks!

Any one have opinions of Duffield House Apartments, Metropolitan Bala, or Imperial Towers?
Thanks!
I liked Metropolitan Bala. Good location etc and got good ratings. It was called Beekman Place at one time. There is another Beekman located in Philly. Do not get it confused with that one. Compare the addresses. I spent several days comparing apartments, ratings, comments on SDN etc. Just my two cents.

Last edited:
They asked nothing and acted as if I was the nuisance for calling after waiting 3+ months for a decision.
Because it really is out of their hands. The committee people meet occasionally to make decisions so admissions sends out what they tell them to. If the people on the committee want to know something they will send you an email.

The admissions staff are part of the committee, so it's not out of their hands. There's no excuse for that long of a wait! Made me want to go there less anyway.

Hard decision, but I just withdrew my acceptance here. I hope one of you sdn-ers gets the spot!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure they just went by the may 15th deposit due date (it was my only acceptance at the time)

Just received the email update about the waitlist. Apparently there's little movement right now but hopefully it'll start picking up!

I sent over a letter of intent so hopefully there is more movement in the wait list.

I just got accepted! God is good! Pray that he delivers for those who are waiting on a favorable admissions decision.
Interviewed mid March/ delayed Decision first week of April/ Accepted today :)

Reactions: 9 users
I just got accepted! God is good! Pray that he delivers for those who are waiting on a favorable admissions decision.
Interviewed mid March/ delayed Decision first week of April/ Accepted today :)
Congrats!! How were you notified?

I am feeling pretty nervous today. I didn't get a waitlist update email or the acceptance email.

How did those of you who did not have a D.O. letter fair this application cycle?

Yeah I got in this cycle. I did have a bunch of letters from the heads of Hospital clinical programs I did, so I think that compensated for it. DO letter is important because they want to see if you understand DO vs MD, but otherwise I think they just care that you've done clinical stuff and that people in those hospitals/offices like you

Yeah I got in this cycle. I did have a bunch of letters from the heads of Hospital clinical programs I did, so I think that compensated for it. DO letter is important because they want to see if you understand DO vs MD, but otherwise I think they just care that you've done clinical stuff and that people in those hospitals/offices like you
That sounds BETTER than a Doctor's letter! now I understand. What ever the spin, doctors who are heads of hospitals, shadowing etc, you still have to have some professional physician's letter in the bundle of lor! I will be in your class! Did you get your photo for your badge done yet? Surprised that they do not do this during orientation! Got my financial letter, loans etc completed. Have to complete my vaccination history and this photo and should be good to go. Apartment found and lease signed. It is getting closer.

Ugh, I'm trying to find an apartment but I'm indecisive. I still have to do the photo too. But yeah, exciting, looking forward to meeting you soon!

Ugh, I'm trying to find an apartment but I'm indecisive. I still have to do the photo too. But yeah, exciting, looking forward to meeting you soon!

I just found an apartment last weekend. I just rented the first place I looked at haha.

I just found an apartment last weekend. I just rented the first place I looked at haha.
I did not even look at mine. No time to get down due to my MBS program and moving out of my old apt! I relied on reviews on here and on the net. Will be surprised when I move in next month I guess. I spent about two nights reviewing all of the apts on line in the locale. I am not picky. Just want somewhere safe, clean, and within walking distance. Have a car but wanted someplace near. Does anyone have a listing of required texts needed. emailed book store and no response. I know, I am anal! Just thought I would try to get them asap and at a good price!

Has anyone gotten any information about the drug screen? I did the criminal background check, but I have not heard anything about drug screening. It says on the PCOM website that we need a drug screen before matriculation. http://admissions.pcom.edu/faq/

Has anyone gotten any information about the drug screen? I did the criminal background check, but I have not heard anything about drug screening. It says on the PCOM website that we need a drug screen before matriculation. http://admissions.pcom.edu/faq/
I knew nothing about a drug screening! Please post if you find out? That escaped me! I did the criminal background check but not the drug screening. Going on nucleus to see about that.
Getting my picture taken on Friday. Thanks for posting! Let me know and I will see what I can find out! Let's help each other! I need teams!

guyz thats for the pharmD students, not DO students.

if they made DO students do a drug screen prior to matriculation, pcom would be chewing away at their waitlist like no other.

chill.

and feel free to burn a few before matriculation, but remember that hospitals do sometimes screen prior to starting clinical rotations.

guyz thats for the pharmD students, not DO students.

if they made DO students do a drug screen prior to matriculation, pcom would be chewing away at their waitlist like no other.

chill.

and feel free to burn a few before matriculation, but remember that hospitals do sometimes screen prior to starting clinical rotations.

Thanks for clarifying. I had to do a drug screening for another DO med school where I was accepted earlier in this cycle therefore it made sense to me.

Congrats!
does anyone know how many spots they might have available now? any estimates?

Congrats!
does anyone know how many spots they might have available now? any estimates?

Totally not a foolproof method of estimating how full the class is, but on Nucleus there are 249/280 registered for OPP I

Incoming students......class of 2019. Were you given any other information (binder mailed?) etc.
other than your nucleus ID and password and information on that site to date?