Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
>Also, does anyone else have the status check say that their secondary has arrived for the PA campus, but not the GA?

I have the same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

What is the deal with LOR requirement here?

Do we need LORs from BASIC SCIENCE profs (BIO/CHEM/PHYS) as per their email or can we just use LORs from SCIENCE profs?

Reactions: 1 user

Do we need LORs from BASIC SCIENCE profs (BIO/CHEM/PHYS) as per their email or can we just use LORs from SCIENCE profs?

Curious about this as well. Also wondering whether or not a PI i did research with and received credit for would count as a science prof.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would someone be kind enough to give me the link that says the mission and values of PCOM? I tried looking up on the website but I couldn't :(
Thank you so much!

Hope I have a good shot. OOS applicant: 3.5 cGPA 3.33 sGPA, 30 (11/9/10) MCAT

Is there anyway to check the status or even confirm that they received the secondary or payment? I didn't get a single email from them after submitting the secondary.

So they have my pre-health adviser letter listed as "recommendation letter 1" and the "pre-health adviser" section is blank. How am I supposed to get that fixed if they won't give any info in regards to apps?

So they have my pre-health adviser letter listed as "recommendation letter 1" and the "pre-health adviser" section is blank. How am I supposed to get that fixed if they won't give any info in regards to apps?
Call them?

People with more than one MCAT: Does your first test date show up in the Requirements, MCAT Scores?

People with more than one MCAT: Does your first test date show up in the Requirements, MCAT Scores?
Only the first ****ty mcat I have shows up I called and they said only one date the first one shows but two are on file.

Are you letters showing up yet

Thanks omppu27! Well Im still waiting for PCOM's secondary. But I mean I was verified only 5 days ago so who knows when I will be getting that email

Members don't see this ad :)

So I called the admissions office and asked about this.

They said three need to be from faculty that taught you. However, they said my PI research would be fine because I received credit from the research. They also said my anatomy professor would be okay.

Thanks for clearing this up, I was wondering as well. One of my professors is finishing up a letter but won't be able to get it in until mid August. I hope this doesn't ruin my chances! Good luck to everyone.

This secondary just fuels my inner desire to write like Hemingway. I haven't used one contraction, in a secondary, yet. May have to break that run on this bad boy..

Does anyone know when they usually start sending out interview invites?

Application submitted on Saturday. I didn't get an email saying application complete, is there any way to check my status online?

Yes seriously. I asked for friendly advice.

Laughing at and mocking someone looking for help is unbecoming of one whose desired profession is solely focused on helping people. For the sake of your future patients, I truly hope your bedside manner is better than your online conduct.

Reactions: 5 users
I sent my secondary on 7/19 and received confirmation that they had received it on 7/23. In that email there will be a link to the online application summary, where you can check to make sure all your items are in.

I sent my secondary on 7/19 and received confirmation that they had received it on 7/23. In that email there will be a link to the online application summary, where you can check to make sure all your items are in.

they update over there at the speed of smell apparently haha, I sent mine in July 31 and got an email back Aug 2 confirming. They haven't update any of my other info, LOR's, app fee, though- what about you guys?

All of my stuff is in, but my committee letter was put under additional letters instead of on the required line for committee letter.

My page shows all is complete. App, fee, mcat, letters .....

All of my stuff is in, but my committee letter was put under additional letters instead of on the required line for committee letter.
I called them last week because mine did the same thing. That means that they won't consider it as your committee letter. For me, it was because it was not on letterhead.

Just got the secondary received email. I checked my status which is missing my letters. You guys think it's worth it to call them and ask if they have it? They said they are not giving status updates on anything via phone or email.

Yes seriously. I asked for friendly advice.

Laughing at and mocking someone looking for help is unbecoming of one whose desired profession is solely focused on helping people. For the sake of your future patients, I truly hope your bedside manner is better than your online conduct.

Lol. Chill out, brah. I think he/she was just trying to say that there is no need to worry about not getting a complete email yet. Not even one business day had gone by since you had submitted. There is a lot of people applying, these things can take awhile.

Just got the secondary received email. I checked my status which is missing my letters. You guys think it's worth it to call them and ask if they have it? They said they are not giving status updates on anything via phone or email.

Did you send it in via interfolio?

Did you send it in via interfolio?

Not OP, but I sent through interfolio and mine still havent showed up. Their email says you should wait 5-10 business days, so if you are within that timeframe (as I am), I would just wait.

Reactions: 1 users

then don't....

I emailed about letters since I mistakenly sent them when I submitted AACOMAS and they told me they wouldn't give status on anything until I was complete. So yeah, don't call @darthsubway

Just thought I'd share this with you future PCOM applicants!

Just thought I'd share this with you future PCOM applicants!

I was there for the event presenting for my undergraduate university and walked over to PCOMs tent. It was quite fun!

I have 5 LORs (nontraditional student). 2 science professor, 1 research, and 2 volunteer supervisors. I called and they said none of the research or volunteering LORs count as a substitute for a third faculty LOR.

What the heck?!? Now I gotta scramble to find a third LOR from faculty? Or should I wait and see what they do with my application first?

I have 5 LORs (nontraditional student). 2 science professor, 1 research, and 2 volunteer supervisors. I called and they said none of the research or volunteering LORs count as a substitute for a third faculty LOR.

What the heck?!? Now I gotta scramble to find a third LOR from faculty? Or should I wait and see what they do with my application first?
Yeah, they've been [Expletive]. I had to have my pre-med adviser resubmit the letter because it wasn't on letterhead. I don't know how I could fake a letter when it comes from the Dean's school email address.

Yeah, they've been [Expletive]. I had to have my pre-med adviser resubmit the letter because it wasn't on letterhead. I don't know how I could fake a letter when it comes from the Dean's school email address.

Ugh. Do you know if a pre-med advisor letter can be substituted in for a faculty letter? My school doesn't do committee letters but an advisor will write one for you.

Ugh. Do you know if a pre-med advisor letter can be substituted in for a faculty letter? My school doesn't do committee letters but an advisor will write one for you.
Yes, it's their preferred letter.

Speaking of letters mine were uploading july15th and have not been added and I called Monday and they were like call back In a week

Speaking of letters mine were uploading july15th and have not been added and I called Monday and they were like call back In a week

Mine were sent in the 21st in a review packet and they haven't updated mine either. Slowpokes! :owle:

I wonder why some schools automatically say that they have your letters and some take weeks

I wonder why some schools automatically say that they have your letters and some take weeks
Mine have been showing up on the status page within a day of receipt. I would seriously call them to make sure they aren't rejecting your letters for reasons such as lack of letterhead. That was the problem I had.

Anyone get an email saying they have received your secondary application?

Interesting how PCOM won't let you replace one of the faculty letter with a DO letter...now scrambling to find a third faculty letter -.-'

Mine have been showing up on the status page within a day of receipt. I would seriously call them to make sure they aren't rejecting your letters for reasons such as lack of letterhead. That was the problem I had.

grrr I was going to wait until the 15 day window expired before I started bugging them, wish they would just update my crap- anyone know when they start sending out II's?