Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone used their AMCAS fee waiver for the secondary? Did it automatically process or did you contact pcom?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone used their AMCAS fee waiver for the secondary? Did it automatically process or did you contact pcom?
I used it. Just submit your application. One they are finished processing it'll say fee wavier. You don't need to send in the payment. GL

I think i remember i had to contact them. Just call and make sure

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both! I only submitted my secondary a few days ago so I think I'll just give it a few days and see if there's a change in status.

Thank you both! I only submitted my secondary a few days ago so I think I'll just give it a few days and see if there's a change in status.
You need to tell them to check their list - there are like 1000 names on the list

Heyyy look at what we got here

II 9/24

Reactions: 2 users
To everyone who has gotten II congrats!

Are you guys IS or OOS and when were you guys complete?

II today! 9/24 also. I'm not sure of my exact complete date but they processed my fee on 8/18 so somewhere around then.

Reactions: 1 users
Question: (maybe a silly one) My app has been complete since ~ 8/19 and I have a DO writing a letter for me, but he has been taking his time. I am checking with him tomorrow to see what his progress is. Should I email the admissions to let them know I have another letter on the way?? My committee letter has already been processed, I would want them to take the DO letter into account when making an interview decision. If I were to contact admission would email be best?

Note: I am mostly concerned with PCOM receiving the letter bc the writer is an Alumni. Ill take any help I can get! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Your application will not begin to be reviewed unless that DO letter is in already, I believe

Edit: I'm totally wrong apparently

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Question: (maybe a silly one) My app has been complete since ~ 8/19 and I have a DO writing a letter for me, but he has been taking his time. I am checking with him tomorrow to see what his progress is. Should I email the admissions to let them know I have another letter on the way?? My committee letter has already been processed, I would want them to take the DO letter into account when making an interview decision. If I were to contact admission would email be best?

Note: I am mostly concerned with PCOM receiving the letter bc the writer is an Alumni. Ill take any help I can get! :)
You don't need a DO letter at PCOM to be complete. You app might already be with the committee to review so it might be too late already.

Thank you for the responses ah24m and futurexray. I was afraid they may have already started reviewing my app and the letter would be too late. Hopefully the rest of my application is solid!
Congrats to all who have gotten interviews so far! :)

II today for 9/18! So excited and nervous! Complete Sept 2 I believe

3.2/30

Congrats! Look like to answer my question from above... they are taking in-state people first. (I been complete 7/30 still nothing)
I hope that's true, I've been complete 8/1 and nothing yet either. Really hoping for PCOM!

I'm from NY, for what it's worth, and got an II Monday

Really hoping to hear back soon, PCOM is sitting near the top of my list!

I spoke to someone in the admissions office at PCOM and they said something about a 3.0 cutoff for interviews...does anyone know more about that? I have a 2.98 sgpa (yes, I know it is not good, I'm working on it) with a ~3.3 cgpa and a 30 MCAT and I'm wondering if I will be automatically screened because 2.98<3. Thanks in advance!

I spoke to someone in the admissions office at PCOM and they said something about a 3.0 cutoff for interviews...does anyone know more about that? I have a 2.98 sgpa (yes, I know it is not good, I'm working on it) with a ~3.3 cgpa and a 30 MCAT and I'm wondering if I will be automatically screened because 2.98<3. Thanks in advance!
With over 5000 complete applications on file and they say their average is 3.5 why would they need to interview someone below a 3?

Hey everyone!

Are there any suggestions on places to stay near PUCOM? I have an interview Oct 9th.

Also if any females are interested in splitting a room Oct 8th, let me know!

Hey everyone!

Are there any suggestions on places to stay near PUCOM? I have an interview Oct 9th.

Also if any females are interested in splitting a room Oct 8th, let me know!

There is a hilton right next to PCOM you could walk to your interview. That's your best bet

for those who got an II , did you guys get a complete email or does it say it on the online portal? Is the "acknowledge receipt of your supplemental app" the same thing as the complete email?

for those who got an II , did you guys get a complete email or does it say it on the online portal? Is the "acknowledge receipt of your supplemental app" the same thing as the complete email?
You're considered complete when all of the boxes in the portal are filled. I didn't receive any complete email.

With over 5000 complete applications on file and they say their average is 3.5 why would they need to interview someone below a 3?

According to PCOM, the average cGPA was 3.46 and the average sGPA was 3.37. For every student with your sGPA, they would need to have someone with a 3.76 to arrive at their average. You know that you are fighting an uphill battle, but I wouldn't rule yourself out 100% unless the school states that they have a minimum GPA (which PCOM does not). Your MCAT indicates that you know your science better than your sGPA would indicate and the adcoms will see that as well.

Anyone with a 7 on a section of the MCAT get an interview yet? Thanks!

dont let anyone discourage you. Averages are an average for a reason and they look at more than just your sGPA. You're MCAT score is very good, so that should say something. My science GPA is higher, but I did do very badly in one course because of some personal things that were going on. ADCOMS realize that life happens and sometimes circumstances are out of our control and our GPA suffers as a result. Being you got a 30 on the MCAT, I think that would be something they would assume and I'm sure ask you about it in your interview. I think the 3.0 cut off is just right now because of how early in the cycle it is. I know someone who goes to PCOM whose sGPA was <3.0. GPA is only one part of the puzzle that makes up who you are. Keep your head up! I'm sure you still have a shot at getting an interview (assuming the rest of your app is impressive), it just may not be until later in the cycle. Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
dont let anyone discourage you. Averages are an average for a reason and they look at more than just your sGPA. You're MCAT score is very good, so that should say something. My science GPA is higher, but I did do very badly in one course because of some personal things that were going on. ADCOMS realize that life happens and sometimes circumstances are out of our control and our GPA suffers as a result. Being you got a 30 on the MCAT, I think that would be something they would assume and I'm sure ask you about it in your interview. I think the 3.0 cut off is just right now because of how early in the cycle it is. I know someone who goes to PCOM whose sGPA was <3.0. GPA is only one part of the puzzle that makes up who you are. Keep your head up! I'm sure you still have a shot at getting an interview (assuming the rest of your app is impressive), it just may not be until later in the cycle. Best of luck!
I am in a similar position and glad to see some positive thinking. My undergrad GPAs are all above 3.0, however I did a one year grad program and had some devastating personal issues which affected my grades making my overall science GPA drop to 2.98. I have a 28 on the MCAT and am an adjunct professor in anatomy, physiology and chemistry. Here's to hoping they are willing to look beyond the numbers! :) PCOM is my number one choice!

Point is, past is never indictive of future. Because it has happened before, it does not mean it will happen. Because it had never happened before, does not mean that it will not. Do your best and wait for whatever happens!

I know people who had 6's in a subsection and were accepted.
Did they know someone? My friend is an ambassador and apparently red lights go off when the GPA and MCAT don't meet the average mean, but if you know someone, or have someone who has graduated from PCOM then you have a leg up.

Did they know someone? My friend is an ambassador and apparently red lights go off when the GPA and MCAT don't meet the average mean, but if you know someone, or have someone who has graduated from PCOM then you have a leg up.
No, neither had ties to PCOM.

So if people are getting interviews past your "complete" date, does that mean that you're silently rejected?

So if people are getting interviews past your "complete" date, does that mean that you're silently rejected?
I think it's more likely that you just weren't a top candidate, but not necessarily rejected. They're probably reviewing people as they go, picking out the ones they like most first, tossing a few, and then some go into a third pile of "decent, we'll look at these again after we get a few more top applicants".

I think it's more likely that you just weren't a top candidate, but not necessarily rejected. They're probably reviewing people as they go, picking out the ones they like most first, tossing a few, and then some go into a third pile of "decent, we'll look at these again after we get a few more top applicants".

Not sure how true this is. It might be more random. Let's just say I should have had an II by now as I'm a top candidate for the school above stats and shadowing wise and was complete in august. I think they haven't handed out that many II yet. Just give it more time.

Not sure how true this is. It might be more random. Let's just say I should have had an II by now as I'm a top candidate for the school above stats and shadowing wise and was complete in august. I think they haven't handed out that many II yet. Just give it more time.
I have heard that the interviews are pretty much filled through middle of October since my friend is a student interviewer.

I do not think that is a big deal but thanks for pointing that out.

Wow just freaked out a bit... got an email from PCOM Admissions about a cocktail reception in my city! Thought it was an II :( Still going!!!