Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes! I was complete at PCOM on July 21st just for reference!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm only an hour away in case any PCOM adcoms are surfing this thread ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes. I applied MD and DO. Fairly broad.

October 1st
Did you pick the date or did they assign it? Because if they're already in October interview slots then that means they have invited quite a few nonSDNers to interview.

Did you pick the date or did they assign it? Because if they're already in October interview slots then that means they have invited quite a few nonSDNers to interview.

Assigned

I personally don't. Maybe 30-40 (on the higher side of guesstimates). Out of some 900 interviews I don't think we should start sweating.

Too late to submit, ya think? I'm just now submitting my secondary!

They're sent through AACOMAS. Send them to AACOMAS through the Thx portal, and they will be verified and populated to your application.
I inputted my scores into the AACOMAS MCAT section when I first sent it out, and PCOM still marks my MCAT scores as unreceived even though the other sections were all received August 24. Is there another place the MCAT scores have to be put in the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I inputted my scores into the AACOMAS MCAT section when I first sent it out, and PCOM still marks my MCAT scores as unreceived even though the other sections were all received August 24. Is there another place the MCAT scores have to be put in the application?
Your self-reported scores are not valid for that; you have to go on the AAMC MCAT website and select to have your scores sent to AACOMAS. Only then will your application show that your "official scores" have been received.

Reactions: 1 user
the itvw is strictly assigned? what if they assign a date that is problematic?

hey guys,

I was just wondering for those who had multiple MCAT scores sent if the application summary has only 1 date listed. I took the MCAT more than once and had them sent to AACOMAS; however, I only see 1 test date listed under the application summary. I just want to make sure they are looking at my most recent score, which isn't the date listed on the application.
Thanks!

hey guys,

I was just wondering for those who had multiple MCAT scores sent if the application summary has only 1 date listed. I took the MCAT more than once and had them sent to AACOMAS; however, I only see 1 test date listed under the application summary. I just want to make sure they are looking at my most recent score, which isn't the date listed on the application.
Thanks!
I have two scores and only my first is listed on the portal, even though it isn't nearly as strong as my second. I think I've read elsewhere they have both even though they just list the first one. You aren't alone.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current students comment on the curriculum and board study time? Kinda getting scared/ getting 2nd thoughts after hearing not so great reviews about either :/

I have two scores and only my first is listed on the portal, even though it isn't nearly as strong as my second. I think I've read elsewhere they have both even though they just list the first one. You aren't alone.
Thanks for letting me know!

I have the same situation. PCOM PA has the recent and PCOM GA has the old. I think its just a way to confirm that any MCAT score is in.

Anyone else have an LOR that had been shown as received for months just randomly disappear?

Can any current students comment on the curriculum and board study time? Kinda getting scared/ getting 2nd thoughts after hearing not so great reviews about either :/

Only a first year so I can't comment to much on this yet. But 3rd years I've spoken too said they gave a very light load before boards and they had plenty of study time. I've heard people ask that to third years. Also there is a review course for boards end of 2nd year.

So far the curriculum is great. The school really knows what they are doing. First class is SPOM which is structural. Gross/developmental/cellular/radiology. Then cmbm (cellular and molecular). Then it goes to a systems based approach. All the upperclassman seem to like the curriculum. I like that it's on trimisters.

You can find more exact if you just Google Pcom curriculum. It builds on itself nicely and is fairly logical I feel.

http://www.pcom.edu/Academic_Programs/aca_do/DOCourseSequence.html

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Only a first year so I can't comment to much on this yet. But 3rd years I've spoken too said they gave a very light load before boards and they had plenty of study time. I've heard people ask that to third years.

So far the curriculum is great. The school really knows what they are doing. First class is SPOM which is structural. Gross/developmental/cellular/radiology. Then cmbm (cellular). Then it goes to a systems based approach. All the upperclassman seem to like the curriculum. I like that it's on trimisters.

You can find more exact if you just Google Pcom curriculum. It builds on itself nicely and is fairly logical I feel.

I know you're probably not into the thick of it yet, but what do you think of exam schedules? Also is attendance mandatory and if not do you go? What kind of online lecturw resources do you have?

Thanks for sharing with us!

I know you're probably not into the thick of it yet, but what do you think of exam schedules? Also is attendance mandatory and if not do you go? What kind of online lecturw resources do you have?

Thanks for sharing with us!

There is an exam every three weeks or so in SPOM. It covers alot of material. All of the lecture content plus a practical on that same day (gross or histo). Covers a good amount of lecture hours.

OMM has two practicals and a test that's it. Not that bad.

There are quizes which are helpful I feel. Primary care skills have a quiz ever session but those aren't a big deal.

Attendance is not mandatory except for lab. All lectures are posted online via tegrity. Alot go to class and alot don't. Better lectures get more attendance! There are lots of resources. Free tutors (lab and lecture) / scribe notes/ mnuemonics/ library has some good stuff also (textbooks/net anatomy). They also give you second year mentors who help you out.

Medical school is very difficult but they help you out as much as they can.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how long it takes them to receive the LORs after sending them from interfolio?

Boards -- the third trimester of 2nd year is wide open to study for boards. This change to the curriculum was piloted last year, and the M3s above me said it was great. They actually force you to do daily study questions for boards, so bottom line is there is ample prep time now.

Attendance -- not mandatory, save a few key lectures here or there. Labs are always mandatory, as are patient encounters. Personally I never go to class if I don't have to

Exam schedule -- averages out to be 1 exam every 2-3 weeks. In first trimester there are quizzes built in here or there

II this morning! (Well, the e-mail said they sent it around 7 this morning, but I just received it a half hour ago...)

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone OOS gotten an II here yet? Seems like its all IS or states PCOM considers IS-ish

Has anyone OOS gotten an II here yet? Seems like its all IS or states PCOM considers IS-ish

Its probably IS interviews first. Theyre the people who will most likely go here, so maybe they want a certain amount of seats full before the dec matriculation agreement/payment?

Its probably IS interviews first. Theyre the people who will most likely go here, so maybe they want a certain amount of seats full before the dec matriculation agreement/payment?

Makes sense, most schools tend to do IS first anyway

What day of the week does pcom hold interviews?

I've suddenly decided that DO is the way to go for me, but am wondering if it is too late to send in my application. I will probably be completely verified on 10/18 or so judging by last year's AACOMAS verification thread., and will pre-write my secondary. I've read somewhere that supposedly the osteopathic cycle extends a bit longer than the MD one, and being finished by late October/early November won't kill your chances.

I have a 31 MCAT and a 3.7 overall GPA, lots of clinical experience, and have a physician letter and all that. Is it worth it? Thanks.

I've suddenly decided that DO is the way to go for me, but am wondering if it is too late to send in my application. I will probably be completely verified on 10/18 or so judging by last year's AACOMAS verification thread., and will pre-write my secondary. I've read somewhere that supposedly the osteopathic cycle extends a bit longer than the MD one, and being finished by late October/early November won't kill your chances.

I have a 31 MCAT and a 3.7 overall GPA, lots of clinical experience, and have a physician letter and all that. Is it worth it? Thanks.

In my extremely underqualified opinion I say it's def worth it. With those killer stats I am positive you'd nab some ii's.

Totally go for it! I know multiple students at PCOM who submitted Oct/Nov with stats below yours who were accepted. Always worth the shot!

What day of the week does pcom hold interviews?

Seems like most days

In my extremely underqualified opinion I say it's def worth it. With those killer stats I am positive you'd nab some ii's.

Apply. I submitted in October and am a Pcom student.

Last edited:
Question For those who got accepted, did ya have a doctor LOR?

People who give bad reviews of this school are either trying to scare you out of the spot they want or are offering their distorted, neurotic version of the truth. It's systems based learning structured block style in trimesters for the first 2 years.
Exact board prep times varies slightly by year but the third trimester schedule is pretty light for 2nd years and generally the years above me have had 6-8 weeks of prep time minimum in addition from what I've heard. Also, you can review the curriculum on the website under the student manual. PM me if you want more specifics

People who give bad reviews of this school are either trying to scare you out of the spot they want or are offering their distorted, neurotic version of the truth. It's systems based learning structured block style in trimesters for the first 2 years.
Exact board prep times varies slightly by year but the third trimester schedule is pretty light for 2nd years and generally the years above me have had 6-8 weeks of prep time minimum in addition from what I've heard. Also, you can review the curriculum on the website under the student manual. PM me if you want more specifics
to be fair, is that not representative of many of the kinds students who end up attending here then? cut throat...gunners..etc.. I dont mean to "prove your point" however it was concerning when I attended an event hosted by the school and a student told me (off to the side) the school is full of pretentious gunners. That won't deter me from applying but it is concerning because it is congruent with your first sentence to a degree.