Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just don't see how that email went out to every PCOM applicant including faculty staff oh and did it go out to people who didn't even apply?? That's just not fathomable

Members don't see this ad.

Well that promotional email just got my hopes up.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone has a really screwed up sense of humor over there lol

Reactions: 1 user
I just don't see how that email went out to every PCOM applicant including faculty staff oh and did it go out to people who didn't even apply?? That's just not fathomable

I hate to say it, but they probably did send this to everyone. PCOM is excited about the award and they want to share it! It's pretty easy to send a mass email to thousands of people. I work in a university admissions office and we do this a lot.

I hate to say it, but they probably did send this to everyone. PCOM is excited about the award and they want to share it! It's pretty easy to send a mass email to thousands of people. I work in a university admissions office and we do this a lot.

The email had my first name as a salutation so to me that mean they just downloaded a name and address field from all AACOMAS applications and added them to their mailing list.

they are really going to need to ramp it up, its the end of october and they have only gotten to regional applicants and what seems like 1-2 interview days spanning 20 people

I think a giant storm is on the horizon, next 4 weeks will be II intensive

Ughhh... super nervous! When is the II usually for? Haven't heard a peep from PCOM

they are really going to need to ramp it up, its the end of october and they have only gotten to regional applicants and what seems like 1-2 interview days spanning 20 people

I think a giant storm is on the horizon, next 4 weeks will be II intensive

I think they have gotten to people outside the region.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anybody know whether it is acceptable to sub a DO LOR for one of the 3 faculty LORs for a nontraditional student, or is that totes out of the question? I called admissions and asked but I think they were confused by my question because the rep just kept telling me to put my letters of rec on AACOMAS...
Nope, they will not allow it

anyone know how many IIs have gone out and how many are remaining?

Canceled my interview. No more $$$ left for interview travel :\. I hope the spot goes to someone who really wants it!

Guys more still have to go out, I'm child of alum if I don't get one (with good stats) then this process is F'ed

Guys more still have to go out, I'm child of alum if I don't get one (with good stats) then this process is F'ed

lol yes that is surely the only reason why you wouldn't get your birthright of an II

anyone know how many IIs have gone out and how many are remaining?

While I don't know exact numbers I have seen alot of people interviewing. Probably for about a month already. However, I didn't interview until December last year so still plenty of time!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed today and wasn't asked the why medicine/why DO questions but it seems like everyone else was. I feel like that's a bad sign. Thoughts?

Interviewed today and wasn't asked the why medicine/why DO questions but it seems like everyone else was. I feel like that's a bad sign. Thoughts?

I wasn't that asked that question last year. They also ask everyone the same questions

I wasn't that asked that question last year. They also ask everyone the same questions

But people from my interview group WERE asked that question. And during breakfast we were told to prepare for that question. I'm trying to not think too far into it, but I just don't understand why they wouldn't ask anything about why I even want to be a doctor. But you weren't asked that and got accepted correct?

But people from my interview group WERE asked that question. And during breakfast we were told to prepare for that question. I'm trying to not think too far into it, but I just don't understand why they wouldn't ask anything about why I even want to be a doctor. But you weren't asked that and got accepted correct?

I also wasn't asked that question - though I tried to incorporate my reasons for wanting to become a physician into the answers in the questions I was asked.. I think what they might be doing is asking everyone the same questions by day/group ? That way they rotate through a list of questions that are asked yet don't repeat the same ones every session? Thats just speculation... I'm trying not to read too much into the process though its hard lol, I interviewed earlier this week

I also interviewed the same day as you and I wasn't asked those questions either. Maybe it just depended on which group were asking the questions?

Did your interviewers seem kind of disinterested? Mine read the questions right off the paper, didn't ask any follow-ups, it was weird

I interviewed the same day as you, but wasn't asked that question either. Though they did ask me what the difference was between a DO and an MD, and why PCOM...

I wouldn't look into it too much though. They probably had other things they wanted to ask you that they thought more important than your motivation to pursue DO. Or maybe you answered the question well enough in your app...?

Did your interviewers seem kind of disinterested? Mine read the questions right off the paper, didn't ask any follow-ups, it was weird

Oh wow, that's awful. Mine was very conversational. Even though they had their computers open, we still made lots of eye contact, and they made sure to ask follow up questions. They even remembered something I wrote in my application that I had completely forgot about, and asked about it when I mentioned the activity.

Maybe you just had awkward interviewers? I dunno, but I'm sorry you had that experience...

Mine didn't mention a single thing from my application. I just don't get why they would invite me to interview if they didn't want to talk to me. But I've also heard of people getting accepted where their interviews were the worst so who knows

computers being open is horrible during interviews...happened to me at my CUSOM interview with iPads and it seemed like they didnt care

I think I was asked a variation of that question. They gave me a couple qualities and asked how I would rank them in relationship to a DO (intelligence,compassionate,hard working I believe).

But interviews can ask questions not on the list they just have to get through certain questions. This really isn't a bearing to whether you will be accepted. Relax!

Yes I was accepted being that I'm currently a first year!

I think they generally don't straight up ask why you want to be a doctor because everyone expects that question and has a prepared answer. I think you need to express that in your interview which they find out through other questions.

I'm sure they are interested but the interviewers are people and get tired also. I'm sure this gets a bit repetitive for them but they are listening. You also should try your best to be interesting and enthusiastic!

I was really passionate about the school and I think that came through. I think that made them more engaged. They also know your application well. The computers show them your app "open file" and they asked direct questions from that. Knowing what you wrote makes you look alot more sincere!

I would say that two of my interviewers just seemed bored after a long day and the third was managing to stay very pleasant somehow. I know that I would begin to get tired after interviewing for a while. I tried to be personable to open them up a little more

Still waiting for my secondary

I have a question about the secondary... the essay says to limit to 250 words, but it allows let you paste in a longer essay. My essay right now is standing at about 330 words, and I am having trouble cutting it down anymore. Is it such a bad thing to have a slightly longer essay or is it better to play by the rules on this one? Any insight would be great.

I have a question about the secondary... the essay says to limit to 250 words, but it allows let you paste in a longer essay. My essay right now is standing at about 330 words, and I am having trouble cutting it down anymore. Is it such a bad thing to have a slightly longer essay or is it better to play by the rules on this one? Any insight would be great.
Follow the guidelines

Reactions: 2 users
It might cut off on their side and then they might not see some important piece of information. Keep it to the limit

At the interview they mentioned that about 700 people get an interview. Anyone know the stats for how many people end up getting accepted? I know the class is close to 300 and schools accept more than they need, so it seems like a majority of the people who interview get accepted.. Does that sound right?

Patiently waiting for an interview from PCOM! Really excited about this school!

Reactions: 2 users
At the interview they mentioned that about 700 people get an interview. Anyone know the stats for how many people end up getting accepted? I know the class is close to 300 and schools accept more than they need, so it seems like a majority of the people who interview get accepted.. Does that sound right?

They also generate a pretty large WaitList...

Last year they gave out roughly 450 acceptances for a class size of 270

Reactions: 3 users
do we know the consensus on emailing in pre-interview updates?