Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would anyone know what the acceptance rate is like earlier on in the cycle? Didn't feel particularly great after the interview early October. My interview didn't feel conversational at all. More like question and answer and my interviewers all had straight faces the entire time.

If it's any consolation mine felt the same way and I was accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question for applicants that have submitted more than one MCAT score .
On you application summary to PCOM, for the "MCAT scores" line, does it say the test date for your first test date or most recent test date?
Yeah for some reason PCOM has my first MCAT date listed in my application summary. Anyone know how to correct this or re-update my new score. I never noticed this

Yeah for some reason PCOM has my first MCAT date listed in my application summary. Anyone know how to correct this or re-update my new score. I never noticed this
Well, it might be that they have both our test scores but have only the first one listed. That's why I asked here if anyone has the most recent one listed. haha

Members don't see this ad :)

For Philly, my second test score is dated (I took the exam three times). For Georgia campus, my most recent score is dated. I called the office and they said as long as your scores are updated on AACOMAS, PCOM will see all of them regardless of what is written on your secondary.

Are you sure? Do you know why they do that? For both campuses, my first score is listed which is significantly lower than my second score. So I shouldn't really worry about that?

Are you sure? Do you know why they do that? For both campuses, my first score is listed which is significantly lower than my second score. So I shouldn't really worry about that?
Call Monday and ask...

What are the chances after an interview here?(average)

Reactions: 1 user

I called on Friday and the woman I spoke to said if AACOMAS is updated, they'll see them all. If you call let me know if they say the same thing!

I called on Friday and the woman I spoke to said if AACOMAS is updated, they'll see them all. If you call let me know if they say the same thing!

I asked via email b/c I was confused. But they said they will see all the scores reported by AACOMAS as long as they are official scores.

*I also only saw the date for my lower score. So I think this is not to worry about if you have the official scores reported to AACOMAS.

I have a question for applicants that have submitted more than one MCAT score .
On you application summary to PCOM, for the "MCAT scores" line, does it say the test date for your first test date or most recent test date?
I had three scores and it always reports the oldest and only one.

I've been complete since July 30th and still no news :( This is my top choice school so I really hope I get an interview!

I've been complete since July 30th and still no news :( This is my top choice school so I really hope I get an interview!
I've been complete for about the same amount of time too. The wait is killing me, it's my top choice too, by a mile. Wishing you the best! Hopefully we hear soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been complete for about the same amount of time too. The wait is killing me, it's my top choice too, by a mile. Wishing you the best! Hopefully we hear soon!

Good luck guys!!! As a first year my interview invite didn't come till around this time so plenty of time.

Even if you get something like a publication or a new research position?

Yup they really stress that those are the only updates you can make. They receive so many applications that if everyone was updating it would take them even longer to send out IIs and make decisions.

Yup they really stress that those are the only updates you can make. They receive so many applications that if everyone was updating it would take them even longer to send out IIs and make decisions.

Hmm, well I did update them on new grades a couple months ago , shown in AACOMAS, before but they never responded. Should I take the opportunity to re-update them on the grades and my new research stuff or will they just don't care?

Hmm, well I did update them on new grades a couple months ago , shown in AACOMAS, before but they never responded. Should I take the opportunity to re-update them on the grades and my new research stuff or will they just don't care?
They specifically will tell you not to update them with research so i wouldn't do that

Last edited:
When will you email me PCOM?!How long after completion do they usually send out IIs?

To people who applied late here, how long between completion and a II?

Interviewing Dec 2nd! So excited. Have been complete since August. Stay hopeful guys!

ii for Dec. 7th!!! So beyond excited! I received the complete email on August 21st. It's interesting though...I went to the open house they had on Friday, Nov 13th and then ...POOF! today, Nov 17th, I have an ii! They said at the open house they had 9,768 applications last year and gave only 778 interview invites and of those interview invites only accepted around 433 ppl...so getting an interview is only the beginning....Stay positive/hopefull y'all! (and check you spam/junk folders! lol)

can someone who interviewed here summarize what an interview day is like? Thanks!!! :)

Hey congrats, would you mind sharing your stats?

Sure, 3.43 cgpa, 3.57 sgpa. 24/503 mcat. Over 2,500 hrs EMT and just hired at a major teaching hospital as a tech. 60 hrs shadow. 140 hrs volunteer. ~400 hrs research w/ thesis, national presentation, and 3 publications.

For those of you worrying about your mcat scores, i was petrified mine would ruin my chances! Amp up your resumes and you'll get there. This is interview number 3 for me and I believe the rest of my app really saved me.

Just got marked complete. Curious to see what happens...

A few weeks ago. Very competitive stats but I've been having trouble with PCOM to get my letters in and it looks like I'm finally complete. Hopefully my stats will push my app up but I seriously doubt it.

Don't count on it I have competitive stats too and parent who is alum been complete since late July and haven't heard back yet....

Don't count on it I have competitive stats too and parent who is alum been complete since late July and haven't heard back yet....
Yeah, I think this that one DO school that is seriously a crapshoot. They gave me such a hard time with my LORs and I had issues submitting my primary here too. Let's see what happens

Interviewed here early October and stillllllll waiting for a decision....

ii for Dec. 7th!!! So beyond excited! I received the complete email on August 21st. It's interesting though...I went to the open house they had on Friday, Nov 13th and then ...POOF! today, Nov 17th, I have an ii! They said at the open house they had 9,768 applications last year and gave only 778 interview invites and of those interview invites only accepted around 433 ppl...so getting an interview is only the beginning....Stay positive/hopefull y'all! (and check you spam/junk folders! lol)

can someone who interviewed here summarize what an interview day is like? Thanks!!! :)

Congratulations on the II!

So there are two interview session times: one at 8AM, and one at 12PM. I don't know which one you got assigned to, so I'll just tell you how mine went.

I got assigned to the morning session (8AM). After signing in at the front desk, all the interviewees sat in the lobby waiting for someone to fetch us. We then followed our guide to the admissions office where they handed out schedules and parking passes. Then we went and got breakfast to eat while holding an informal Q&A session with 2 students and the dean of admissions. After that we went back to the office where we were then split up into two groups and taken on a student-led tour. After the tour, someone from financial aid gave us a quick talk. The interviews were the last portion of the day and they occurred within the admissions office (so we didn't have to go running around tracking our interviewers down). We were verbally told who we would be interviewing with (tho don't worry about writing it down, the interviewers will come and get you when it's your turn). It may not have been clear from the e-mail (I know I was a bit confused reading it), but you have one interview with multiple interviewers. I had 2, some people had 3. I don't know how consistent these numbers are among interview days. And this is an open-file interview — they'll have your application open on a laptop in front of them.

I hope this was helpful!

Reactions: 1 users

And to jump off of what himitsuda said - I had the afternoon session and it was basically the same order of events. Really relaxing time and the students were incredibly friendly! Admissions was great and everything was very organized. In terms of the interview itself I had 4 interviewers. They preassign a certain amount of questions that every interviewee will get asked regardless of your interview panel. I thought my interview was very relaxing and while not entirely conversational (since there were so many people and limited time ~25 minutes) I thought every interviewer was incredibly attentive and cared more about what you learned from your experiences than your numbers. One interviewer even brought up how much he loved my personal statement which made me feel great since I doubted it a little.

Overall: I loved this interview and this school! Number 1 choice. But it's yet to be determined as no one has heard back in a while. Fingers crossed!
Congrats on getting an II and best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users
I know after an interview it can take up to 5 weeks to hear back, but has anyone heard back in 2-3 weeks.

And to jump off of what himitsuda said - I had the afternoon session and it was basically the same order of events. Really relaxing time and the students were incredibly friendly! Admissions was great and everything was very organized. In terms of the interview itself I had 4 interviewers. They preassign a certain amount of questions that every interviewee will get asked regardless of your interview panel. I thought my interview was very relaxing and while not entirely conversational (since there were so many people and limited time ~25 minutes) I thought every interviewer was incredibly attentive and cared more about what you learned from your experiences than your numbers. One interviewer even brought up how much he loved my personal statement which made me feel great since I doubted it a little.

Overall: I loved this interview and this school! Number 1 choice. But it's yet to be determined as no one has heard back in a while. Fingers crossed!
Congrats on getting an II and best of luck!

Good luck Bud. Rootin for ya

Accepted today three weeks post-interview! Good luck to everyone else.

Reactions: 3 users
ACCEPTED!!!! Omg just cried my eyes out. Can't believe this I'm so happy! Thank you all for your online support everyone and to those waiting to hear good luck!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Just received my acceptance letter today!!!! I interviewed about 5 weeks ago. I do have a question, I am not sure where to submit the prepayment. I checked on the link that was supplied in my first Acknowledgment email but can't find the "make a payment" button??

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats to all of those accepted!!! Question for current students, do clinical sites include Philadelphia Children's and/or Penn Presbyterian?