Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted! Interviewed 11/2/15. I honestly cannot believe it, I bawled my eyes out! ;____;

To all my fellow underdogs (my LizzyM is 61), don't ever let your numbers scare you into complacency or hopelessness. We have all had our ups and downs, but working hard to get where we want to go is something we know how to do! I felt that my interview here was just "meh" (very question-answer, not conversational, I rambled quite a bit and didn't really get a chance to tell them why I wanted to go to PCOM since they didn't ask a "why PCOM" question), but it just goes to show you that you can never know how things are going to turn out.

Honestly, just keep working hard and then when that 1% luck happens, something wonderful will happen! You can do this!

Best of luck to those still waiting and applying, and to those accepted, I cannot wait to meet you all next year! We finally made it!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted! Interviewed 11/2/15. I honestly cannot believe it, I bawled my eyes out! ;____;

To all my fellow underdogs (my LizzyM is 61), don't ever let your numbers scare you into complacency or hopelessness. We have all had our ups and downs, but working hard to get where we want to go is something we know how to do! I felt that my interview here was just "meh" (very question-answer, not conversational, I rambled quite a bit and didn't really get a chance to tell them why I wanted to go to PCOM since they didn't ask a "why PCOM" question), but it just goes to show you that you can never know how things are going to turn out.

Honestly, just keep working hard and then when that 1% luck happens, something wonderful will happen! You can do this!

Best of luck to those still waiting and applying, and to those accepted, I cannot wait to meet you all next year! We finally made it!!
Congrats!!!! Please keep all of us that haven't received an II yet as well in your prayers

Reactions: 1 users
ahh congrats to those accepted! Are these coming by mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
ii for Dec. 7th!!! So beyond excited! I received the complete email on August 21st. It's interesting though...I went to the open house they had on Friday, Nov 13th and then ...POOF! today, Nov 17th, I have an ii! They said at the open house they had 9,768 applications last year and gave only 778 interview invites and of those interview invites only accepted around 433 ppl...so getting an interview is only the beginning....Stay positive/hopefull y'all! (and check you spam/junk folders! lol)

can someone who interviewed here summarize what an interview day is like? Thanks!!! :)

Adding to the previous two comments -
- They told us during breakfast that [either everyone or everyone in the same interview group] would have the same 6 questions and then there could be follow-ups based on what you said
- They also said that they will NOT ask about personal information in original question or follow-up, but you can mention whatever your like...
- They have read your application and liked it - they just want to make sure it translates in-person

Feel free the message if you have more questions! Good luck!!! and congratulations to everyone excepted!

Congrats! Did your II also come via snail mail?

Thank you! My apologies for causing confusion :')

I got the II through email and acceptance letter via snail mail!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted !!!! Interviewed 10/26 ! This is truly a beautiful moment

Reactions: 4 users

Congrats !! me too , just have received mine today. so we will be class mates :D hopefully :) do you know how to pay the deposit? I tried the portal but nothing showing up !

Reactions: 2 users
Yes! I definitely plan on attending ! I'm not sure how to submit the deposit :/ But if I figure anything out I will definitely let you know!

I also do not know how to pay the deposit, haha @___@ Hopefully we will figure it out soon! Maybe they send an e-mail with a link?

lol they started tricking us already :D :D the letter says it's on the portal ... maybe they will update the portal :) doesn't matter ... I'm happppppy for everyone and hope those who are waiting hear back soon. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my acceptance letter today!!!! I interviewed about 5 weeks ago. I do have a question, I am not sure where to submit the prepayment. I checked on the link that was supplied in my first Acknowledgment email but can't find the "make a payment" button??
They have a new system and it can take I think 4-5 days for the link to come live, give people a chance to get their letters. So wait until that time and then check. We did not have that last year and had to send checks to beat the deadline. This will be a lot easier for everyone.

They have a new system and it can take I think 4-5 days for the link to come live, give people a chance to get their letters. So wait until that time and then check. We did not have that last year and had to send checks to beat the deadline. This will be a lot easier for everyone.

Thank you for this info! Hopefully we will see the link soon.

Questions for the current students, if you have the time to chime in:

1. How are you liking the school so far? Is it living up to your expectations?
2. Any housing recommendations?
3. Do you think having a car is necessary?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the heads up, the link works today and I was able to put in my deposit! Congratulations to everyone who was accepted, and best of luck to everyone with interviews and waiting for them!

Hey guys, just generally how long after your application was complete did you receive a notification about an II?
My application has been incomplete for weeks because one of my professors who wrote me a LOR was on vacation, and I just now got that situation amended, so my application JUST got complete :/

Hey guys, just generally how long after your application was complete did you receive a notification about an II?
My application has been incomplete for weeks because one of my professors who wrote me a LOR was on vacation, and I just now got that situation amended, so my application JUST got complete :/

Mine came about 2 months after I was "complete." I didn't receive a complete email, but I assumed I was complete when there was dates next to all my Required Items on the portal. :)

This process is grueling and it's hard to predict anything these days! At some places I received an II a week or so after I was complete, and at others it took me 3 months. Plenty of schools haven't even sent me any kind of communication @_@ Just remember it's not over 'till it's over, hang in there! Good luck :)

Thank you for this info! Hopefully we will see the link soon.

Questions for the current students, if you have the time to chime in:

1. How are you liking the school so far? Is it living up to your expectations?
2. Any housing recommendations?
3. Do you think having a car is necessary?

Thanks in advance!

1. I love the school! I'm a first year and we just finished our first course (SPOM). SPOM was alot of work so be prepared medical school is hard. They helped us out alot though. Tons of resources and the class really worked well together. They also gave us mentors who are great. Pointed out good resources for us (ACLAND Videos, Net Anatomy, Histotime). They also have documents pasted down from generation of Pcom students to the next which are helpful.

2. This really depends on what your looking for. Lots of apartment complexes very close by. Cheaper housing to High end. Lots of people live in Lincoln green and metropolitan bala. Vista, mansions at bala, presidential city, duffield house, imperial towers, greebriar club, Dobson mills, executive house, alden park, rittenhouse hill and lots of others are close by. No shortage of options! There is a Google document about this that I can message you. You can also look for a house close by which might be cheaper. Living in manayunk is popular.

3. It's probably best to get a car. There are apartment complexes and grocery within walking distance but its in a bit more suburban area of Philadelphia. All the necessities are within walking distance (target, grocerry, starbucks, strip stores) If you lived in manayunk or center city you would only need a car to get to school. Manayunk is a mile from campus and over the river. Center city is 7 miles from campus.

Reactions: 5 users
Mine came about 2 months after I was "complete." I didn't receive a complete email, but I assumed I was complete when there was dates next to all my Required Items on the portal. :)

This process is grueling and it's hard to predict anything these days! At some places I received an II a week or so after I was complete, and at others it took me 3 months. Plenty of schools haven't even sent me any kind of communication @_@ Just remember it's not over 'till it's over, hang in there! Good luck :)

Thanks for your response, guess I'll just sit here waiting haha :)

I just received my II on 11/19. I will be interviewing on 11/30! Keep your hopes up! Also I submitted back in July.

1. I love the school! I'm a first year and we just finished our first course (SPOM). SPOM was alot of work so be prepared medical school is hard. They helped us out alot though. Tons of resources and the class really worked well together. They also gave us mentors who are great. Pointed out good resources for us (ACLAND Videos, Net Anatomy, Histotime). They also have documents pasted down from generation of Pcom students to the next which are helpful.

2. This really depends on what your looking for. Lots of apartment complexes very close by. Cheaper housing to High end. Lots of people live in Lincoln green and metropolitan bala. Vista, mansions at bala, presidential city, duffield house, imperial towers, greebriar club, Dobson mills, executive house, alden park, rittenhouse hill and lots of others are close by. No shortage of options! There is a Google document about this that I can message you. You can also look for a house close by which might be cheaper. Living in manayunk is popular.

3. It's probably best to get a car. There are apartment complexes and grocery within walking distance but its in a bit more suburban area of Philadelphia. All the necessities are within walking distance (target, grocerry, starbucks, strip stores) If you lived in manayunk or center city you would only need a car to get to school. Manayunk is a mile from campus and over the river. Center city is 7 miles from campus.

Would you also be able to message me the google doc? I know its early but I'm very excited to start this process! Thank you!

I just received my II on 11/19. I will be interviewing on 11/30! Keep your hopes up! Also I submitted back in July.
Congrats! Mind sharing when you were complete?

Secondary Submitted 7/30; Complete 8/18; II 10/15; Interview 10/29; Accepted ?? (My portal changed on 11/19 with a link to submit my admission deposit but I haven't received my official acceptance letter in the mail)

Question for current students: Does anyone have any reasons on why NOT to attend PCOM? Finding the pro's for PCOM have been easy but I'm also very interested in areas where students believe that the school has room for improvement. Feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Yes! I definitely plan on attending ! I'm not sure how to submit the deposit :/ But if I figure anything out I will definitely let you know!
they have updated my portal and I have just paid the deposit :)

Accepted! I'm gonna be a doctor!

So excited to be given this opportunity!

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Congratulations to all that were accepted. I hope to attend PCOM when I apply next cycle. Good luck to the remaining applicants this cycle.

If there are any current students that could PM me, that would be great! I have some questions about life at PCOM, the curriculum, etc :)

I've been complete since July but haven't heard a peep. IS.

Would any current students be able to PM me and let me know what books are needed for first year? Thanks in advance!

Interview invite by email this AM! Super excited to check out Philly and this school, any input/advice/thoughts/comments/concerns would be greatly appreciated :)

Would any current students happen to know the general consensus about living at Presidential? I read in the past that people were saying to avoid it but it looks like the apartments have all been remodeled any maybe things have gotten better?
Also, in my interview I remember one of the students saying that if anyone wants to buy us something ask them to buy a med kit (not sure if thats the right name lol) ? Just wondering what is in the med kit since christmas is coming up lol
thank you!

I've just went through a interview on Nov 20th !!! I feel I did very well. :) I'm now waiting for a response now.

How long did other wait?
I know they said up to 5 weeks. >.<
I'm so excited to meet class of 2020.

Last edited:
I've just went through a interview on Nov 20th !!! I feel I did very well. :) I'm now waiting for a response now.

How long did other wait?
I know they said up to 5 weeks. >.<
I'm so excited to meet class of 2016.
Class of 2020*. I don't know if there is a specific pattern when people hear back, but I feel that a lot of the people have been instate residents (at least recently).

Would any current students happen to know the general consensus about living at Presidential? I read in the past that people were saying to avoid it but it looks like the apartments have all been remodeled any maybe things have gotten better?
Also, in my interview I remember one of the students saying that if anyone wants to buy us something ask them to buy a med kit (not sure if thats the right name lol) ? Just wondering what is in the med kit since christmas is coming up lol
thank you!

Presidential is being redone. It's super high end and under construction. It's going to be like 1500 for a single over 2k for a double.

Buy an otoscope and ophthalmoscope! Don't buy a stethoscope you get one for free (thanks poma). Welych & Allen is recommended

Class of 2020*. I don't know if there is a specific pattern when people hear back, but I feel that a lot of the people have been instate residents (at least recently).
Lucky me, cause I'm instate! :D