Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lucky me, cause I'm instate! :D
I interviewed 10/26 and it took me about 3 weeks to hear back (11/19), OOS (NJ) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Presidential is being redone. It's super high end and under construction. It's going to be like 1500 for a single over 2k for a double.

Buy an otoscope and ophthalmoscope! Don't buy a stethoscope you get one for free (thanks poma). Welych & Allen is recommended

Great, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!! Checked the mail tonight after a long shift to the best surprise!!!! :happy:

1. I love the school! I'm a first year and we just finished our first course (SPOM). SPOM was alot of work so be prepared medical school is hard. They helped us out alot though. Tons of resources and the class really worked well together. They also gave us mentors who are great. Pointed out good resources for us (ACLAND Videos, Net Anatomy, Histotime). They also have documents pasted down from generation of Pcom students to the next which are helpful.

2. This really depends on what your looking for. Lots of apartment complexes very close by. Cheaper housing to High end. Lots of people live in Lincoln green and metropolitan bala. Vista, mansions at bala, presidential city, duffield house, imperial towers, greebriar club, Dobson mills, executive house, alden park, rittenhouse hill and lots of others are close by. No shortage of options! There is a Google document about this that I can message you. You can also look for a house close by which might be cheaper. Living in manayunk is popular.

3. It's probably best to get a car. There are apartment complexes and grocery within walking distance but its in a bit more suburban area of Philadelphia. All the necessities are within walking distance (target, grocerry, starbucks, strip stores) If you lived in manayunk or center city you would only need a car to get to school. Manayunk is a mile from campus and over the river. Center city is 7 miles from campus.
I am so excited about attending PCOM. Thank you for these insights! Would you be able to message me this Google doc as well?

One student said to join the Facebook PCOM group. A class of 2020 hasn't been made yet..

Doesn't anybody know when the interviews begin at PCOM? I'm thinking my interview date, Nov 20 was a little late, and I might be put on the wait list.

Anybody think Nov 20 is a little late interview date?

The interviews started around the last week of September, so I don't think Nov 20th is too late.

Accepted!!

I got the letter in the mail yesterday. Interviewed November 3rd.

Reactions: 5 users
I see you got accepted into KUCOM also. Are you gonna choose PCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I see you got accepted into KUCOM also. Are you gonna choose PCOM?

I'm not sure. I was pretty set on KCU until this PCOM acceptance. I have some thinking to do...

According to students who interview PCOM has already received over 5000 applications. Imagine trying to get through those knowing there are probably 5000 more to come just for the DO program (we have 13 programs) as well as everything else they do. Monumental job and they are looking for not just good but for all around great. Patience is the name of the game.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure. I was pretty set on KCU until this PCOM acceptance. I have some thinking to do...

Go to wherever it is cheaper. If it isn't a big difference, I would choose PCOM because it is philly vs. Kansas city...

According to students who interview PCOM has already received over 5000 applications. Imagine trying to get through those knowing there are probably 5000 more to come just for the DO program (we have 13 programs) as well as everything else they do. Monumental job and they are looking for not just good but for all around great. Patience is the name of the game.
This makes me feel great.. Just need to get over this last hump and I'm in!!! I felt so confident leaving. It's just a matter of waiting now.

Does anybody know how many application PCOM received last year ? I'm trying to get a good idea of how lucky I am to have been invited for an interview as an instate.

Does anybody know how many application PCOM received last year ? I'm trying to get a good idea of how lucky I am to have been invited for an interview as an instate.

Over 5000, as per the quote right above your post.

And where is this information coming from? I could say there were 10,000 lol.

I'd say no matter what, you're pretty lucky. It's medical school and interviews are a privilege not all are lucky enough to receive

I'd say no matter what, you're pretty lucky. It's medical school and interviews are a privilege not all are lucky enough to receive
Congrats on your acceptance! when did you interview and are you IS or OS?

pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe in this same forum?) that a current first year said they were told there were about 9700ish applications for around 600 interviews and 400ish acceptances? Not sure on the exact numbers but it may be earlier in the forum

pretty sure I read somewhere (maybe in this same forum?) that a current first year said they were told there were about 9700ish applications for around 600 interviews and 400ish acceptances? Not sure on the exact numbers but it may be earlier in the forum
This is the source I've gotten.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=316614

Not sure how good it is as comparison to this year though.

About 4800 applications.

I got this from a post on page 17 " They said at the open house they had 9,768 applications last year and gave only 778 interview invites and of those interview invites only accepted around 433 ppl...so getting an interview is only the beginning....Stay positive/hopefull y'all! (and check you spam/junk folders! lol) "

Sorry about the copying and pasting still pretty new to actually posting on sdn lol hope the numbers help and give you some comfort !

PCOM DO program just in Philadelphia will get about 10,000 applications and since they are about half way through they estimate they have about 5000 in. Two of my friends interview for the program and hear a lot of information. Add this to all the other programs so they will see 15,000 applications more or less.

Question for those accepted before Nov 15th! The $250 deposit is due December 14th, but is there a deadline for the technical standards form?

Do I still have a shot at an Interview this late in the cycle? Last of my document was received on Nov 12 and I assume my application is complete. 3.7/3.7 31 (p:10/v:10/b:11) MCAT. OOS

Question for those accepted before Nov 15th! The $250 deposit is due December 14th, but is there a deadline for the technical standards form?

Not sure, but I would just send in the deposit and the forms before the 14th just to make sure. Where on the online portal does it say that the technical standard forms were received? Is it under the "requirements" section?

Do I still have a shot at an Interview this late in the cycle? Last of my document was received on Nov 12 and I assume my application is complete. 3.7/3.7 31 (p:10/v:10/b:11) MCAT. OOS

yup you still do. I didn't submit my stuff until late november last year (whoops) and got an interview for march, and was accepted! I also had worse stats than you but I was instate, if that makes a difference

Has anyone from the west coast gotten an II yet? Has there any been pre-II rejections?

Perhaps this has already been addressed, but I have been complete since August and this is my top choice. Would it be beneficial to send a letter of interest or is that advised against? I apologize if this info is elsewhere.
They don't take them

Has anyone from the west coast gotten an II yet? Has there any been pre-II rejections?
My friend has seen people from all over the country including Hawaii and they don't send pre interview reject. You get that at the end

My friend has seen people from all over the country including Hawaii and they don't send pre interview reject. You get that at the end

Oh wow, good to know. Thanks.

Anyone complete around September hear back? Or are they still on July/August people?

Oh wow, good to know. Thanks.

Anyone complete around September hear back? Or are they still on July/August people?

Yes a few people (including me) but we were all waitlisted last cycle- not sure if that has much bearing

Yes a few people (including me) but we were all waitlisted last cycle- not sure if that has much bearing

You were complete September and heard back around this time that you were wait listed last cycle? Did you or anyone you know get off of it? From the looks of it, doesn't seem like they are on the same pace this year..

You were complete September and heard back around this time that you were wait listed last cycle? Did you or anyone you know get off of it? From the looks of it, doesn't seem like they are on the same pace this year..

No lol. I was waitlisted last year (among lots of other people) - this year app complete around that time and interviewd recently.

Yeah I've heard they were delayed this year with construction/renovation stuff and the pope visit... But I also know they interview through April so it's a pretty long waiting period.

When do you think the next batch of decisions will be sent out because it has been pretty quite on here.

Been complete since August but still haven't heard, I'm thinking it might also be because I'm OOS? (CA resident) 3.8 sgpa and 27 mcat

Why is PCOM considered to be one of the best D.O. schools? because of there rotation sites?

Has anyone called recently to inquire about status? I know they don't accept updates, but want to express interest/see if I can find out any additional information. I live in Philly, from rural PA, have been to PCOM open house and my stats should make me competitive. In reading this thread over the past few months people seem to be hostile on the other end - worth calling? or just a wait-it-out situation? Complete since July...

Has anyone called recently to inquire about status? I know they don't accept updates, but want to express interest/see if I can find out any additional information. I live in Philly, from rural PA, have been to PCOM open house and my stats should make me competitive. In reading this thread over the past few months people seem to be hostile on the other end - worth calling? or just a wait-it-out situation? Complete since July...
I'm in nearly the same position as you (I'm from suburban PA) and I'm getting fairly anxious because this is my #1 choice. If you do decide to call, let us know how it goes/what kind of information they give you! Best of luck!

Sorry if this has already been answered but how many interviewees per interview day?

thank you. and is the order tour, lunch, interview?

thank you. and is the order tour, lunch, interview?

When I interviewed in early November we had about 12 people in my group. And yes, the afternoon session consisted of a tour (with student ambassadors), lunch, and then interviews. :)