Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My issue is all my letters are apparently fine and I read on their website "additional" letters are fine to add. My one "additional" letter didn't have a letterhead and because I assume it wasn't a required letter, they just wouldn't count it. Both PCOM-PA and PCOM-GA have messaged me saying it isn't complete.
Oh man. So you figured out your issue? That's all you need to fix to be complete?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man. So you figured out your issue? That's all you need to fix to be complete?

Not an easy fix. My LOR writer is probably on winter break and wouldn't get back to me until early-mid January.

Not an easy fix. My LOR writer is probably on winter break and wouldn't get back to me until early-mid January.
Hmm. Can you just ask them to ignore that letter and look at your application as it is? Since you do have the other letter requirements?

ACCEPTED. Soooo so incredibly happy. Interviewed 12/02 oos :)

Reactions: 4 users
I just input my deposit. Do i get an email once they successfully receive it?

ACCEPTED. Soooo so incredibly happy. Interviewed 12/02 oos :)

I just input my deposit. Do i get an email once they successfully receive it?

Congrats!! :)
I never got an email confirming my deposit, but it says "received" on my updated application summary! It will say the same for the technical standards form :)

Also, it took a day or two for the transaction to show up in my bank account

Reactions: 1 user
I never got an email confirming my deposit, but it says "received" on my updated application summary! It will say the same for the technical standards form :)

Thank you!

Do post-interview snail mail holds got any good chance of later acceptance?

Did your acceptance come in snail mail or email? Also, what kind of envelope? Congrats and stats if you don't mind??

Congrats!!! Did your acceptance come in email or snail mail? And, what are your stats???

Snail mail. Stats are: 3.57 sgpa 3.43 cgpa, 503 mcat, 2500+ hrs emt, 140 hrs shadow, 400+ research. OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
II on 11/23 for 12/11. Accepted today!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! Was there a link that appeared on your application summary page today? Or does anyone know does it take a few days?
When were you complete and stats/LizzyM?
Do you have any health care experience?

@ ees5122: Thanks! I just checked my application summary page and didn't see anything new. I'm not sure if there will be.
@NBLogical: I was complete 09/09. MCAT: 27, GPA: 3.67. Yes, I've shadowed a few DO's and MD's, have a letter from both, and work full time in healthcare now.

Just got my acceptance today!!! II on 11/17 for 12/7 and exactly 2 weeks later I got an acceptance letter! I am so excited!!! PCOM is my first choice and I didn't even think I was going to get an interview!

Reactions: 4 users

Yes, same here.

Just got my acceptance today!!! II on 11/17 for 12/7 and exactly 2 weeks later I got an acceptance letter! I am so excited!!! PCOM is my first choice and I didn't even think I was going to get an interview!

Congratulations! See you next year!

Reactions: 1 users
Accepted!!!!!!!
Stats: 3.2s/c, 25 MCAT, 4.0 MS (SMP), lots of hospital experience.

@Bronze_rose you interviewed on 12/11? So did I. Were you the 12pm group? Must have been a good day in admissions!

Yes I did, afternoon too! So cool. Yeah our group was pretty great. Are you committed or still waiting to hear from others?

Are there any current students on here who would be willing to PM me? I was accepted in November but I have some questions going forward

Acceptance Monday!!! II on 11/17 for 12/2. I felt that my interview didn’t go well, so this was a surprise. I am very excited, also accepted at VCOM Virginia.

Acceptance Monday!!! II on 11/17 for 12/2. I felt that my interview didn’t go well, so this was a surprise. I am very excited, also accepted at VCOM Virginia.
I interviewed that day! And @DOdoc933 did too. Glad to hear that at least 3 of us got in from that day. Congrats to both of you (and everyone else too).

Are there any current students on here who would be willing to PM me? I was accepted in November but I have some questions going forward

There a couple of us lurking around. 1 and 2 years just had an exam so we should be more free now. I'm a 1 St year you can message me. If you would like someone further along message @TopTomato . @grouptheory and @baccus are docs from Pcom. Good luck!

Anybody know anything about being placed on hold post interview?

Any one else get a holiday card from PCOM? Kind of made my day. I like this school a lot

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any tips for the interview? Overall how you felt etc?

Does anyone have any tips for the interview? Overall how you felt etc?

My interview was cold and they didn’t make me feel comfortable, but for others, it was very friendly like. The questions were very simple, like the ones posted in the SDN. Just be yourself and if you are feeling nervous, slow down and take your time to think your answer. It is a panel interview, round table with a DO, DO Student, and Admission person. Try to make eye contact with all of them as you articulate your answers, this is the hardest part. All my other interviews were just getting to know you like, and this one was straight reading questions from their papers. Just be yourself, good luck…

My interview was cold and they didn’t make me feel comfortable, but for others, it was very friendly like. The questions were very simple, like the ones posted in the SDN. Just be yourself and if you are feeling nervous, slow down and take your time to think your answer. It is a panel interview, round table with a DO, DO Student, and Admission person. Try to make eye contact with all of them as you articulate your answers, this is the hardest part. All my other interviews were just getting to know you like, and this one was straight reading questions from their papers. Just be yourself, good luck…

Thank you for your feedback! :) i have mine coming up after the holidays in January so getting a bit nervous but at the same time very excited!

Where are the interview questions posted on SDN?

I'm having the same issue, only my letter writer hasn't responded to any of my emails or calls. :/ and it's a science LOR.

Does not getting a holiday card mean you've been pre-II rejected? :(

I got an II email on Dec 14th for Jan 27th. But I think there were others who got II emails after me but for earlier dates in January. I was wondering if anyone knew how they assigned dates for interviews and if they're flexible. Not complaining - the only reason I ask is because I'll be near the city earlier in Jan and was hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone. But I also don't want to seem pretentious asking for an earlier interview date... haha. Any insight?

Which apartment complexes do pcom students live in during the school year?
There are a lot in the area. Lincoln Green, Duffield House, Metropolitan Bala, Imperial Towers, Presidental. All are pretty expensive unless you have a roommate. Other options are apartments in Manayunk which is an area for young people nearby. Or you can live right around PCOM where the complexes are but not in a big building. I did that and found a magically cheap apartment at $700 for 2 bedrooms, which is unheard of. $1000 for two bedrooms is more common.

There are a lot in the area. Lincoln Green, Duffield House, Metropolitan Bala, Imperial Towers, Presidental. All are pretty expensive unless you have a roommate. Other options are apartments in Manayunk which is an area for young people nearby. Or you can live right around PCOM where the complexes are but not in a big building. I did that and found a magically cheap apartment at $700 for 2 bedrooms, which is unheard of. $1000 for two bedrooms is more common.
That is amazing! I want to live right around the campus as well. Any advice on how to look for those great deals (and when to start looking)? I am looking into 2 bedroom apartments in the area to share. Thank you!

That is amazing! I want to live right around the campus as well. Any advice on how to look for those great deals (and when to start looking)? I am looking into 2 bedroom apartments in the area to share. Thank you!
I think my roommate found out through looking on the cork board in the school. Craigslist will help though, definitely. And the facebook group whenever that happens. I actually found my roommate through this message board on nucleus (the student portal), so I'm sure that's a source of information for cheap apartments.

So I interviewed on 11/30 but I haven't been in town to receive the snail mail on 12/20. If my status hasn't changed on the PCOM application with all the letters, etc. am I not accepted?

Any idea if they're still in the office to send out IIs, or are they out until winter break ends? I was complete forever ago, but seeing as though some people who were complete very early are still getting offers, I guess I can still hope!

Is the school receptive to calls? I submitted two months ago, didn't recieve a complete email, and on my application page it lists dates recieve for all parts of my application except the "supplemental application' even though I know I submitted that and can confirm since I can't resubmit it again.
just send them an email phone calls are a bother if they are in the middle of something else, they are responding to emails pretty quick these days I hear

I really want to get my living situation/roommates figured out as soon as possible. Does student affairs offer any assistance with this? and also @nks91 is your username and password to nucleus provided once you submit the $1500 deposit because I haven't received mine yet.