Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received my username and password to nucleus after paying the first $250 deposit.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I received my username and password to nucleus after paying the first $500 deposit.

Was it emailed to you? I put in my deposit about a month ago but never received anything for nucleus. The portal does show the deposit as paid.

Was it emailed to you? I put in my deposit about a month ago but never received anything for nucleus. The portal does show the deposit as paid.
Yes it was, it was titled "Welcome Message from PCOM Student Affairs"

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, I'm confused about the deposit. So if we only submitted the $250 deposit, we will not receive anything from nucleus?

I just want to check, because a) I don't have enough money to pay the full 1500 yet, and b) I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools

I did get a christmas card though, if that counts for something?

I paid the $250 deposit way before Dec 31. But I mailed in my Technical Standards, and haven't heard anything yet about that. Will that show up on the portal? Or is that only due before matriculation?

I paid the $250 deposit way before Dec 31. But I mailed in my Technical Standards, and haven't heard anything yet about that. Will that show up on the portal? Or is that only due before matriculation?

The receipt of the technical standards will be on your portal, as will the $250 deposit!
They both have been marked with a date in the "Received" column for me :)

Cool. Yeah I just called, they got them both!

Can anyone tell me if I have to send an official transcript update directly to them, or if they will just look at the AACOMAS update? I tried finding the answer on their website and on earlier posts, but feeling a little lost and would prefer not to call and bother them. Thank you!

Can anyone tell me if I have to send an official transcript update directly to them, or if they will just look at the AACOMAS update? I tried finding the answer on their website and on earlier posts, but feeling a little lost and would prefer not to call and bother them. Thank you!

You can do both. If you send them a official copy of the transcript, it will show up in the portal as received.

Has anyone heard from the 12/17 interview groups yet on a decision?

I really want to get my living situation/roommates figured out as soon as possible. Does student affairs offer any assistance with this? and also @nks91 is your username and password to nucleus provided once you submit the $1500 deposit because I haven't received mine yet.
I'm not sure about nucleus. When I got into the graduate program, I remember it did take a month or so to get my information. If you want to try, your username should be your first name and the first two letters of your last name, and your password is the ID number in your application (maybe, at least mine definitely but that may be because I have an ID number already) but it's without the first number. I think that's 8 digits for the password. If all that doesn't work, just join the Facebook group that's been started! I think that's how most people find roommates.

I really want to get my living situation/roommates figured out as soon as possible. Does student affairs offer any assistance with this? and also @nks91 is your username and password to nucleus provided once you submit the $1500 deposit because I haven't received mine yet.

There are roommate forums on nucleus but I would recommend finding a roommate on facebook.

I think my roommate found out through looking on the cork board in the school. Craigslist will help though, definitely. And the facebook group whenever that happens. I actually found my roommate through this message board on nucleus (the student portal), so I'm sure that's a source of information for cheap apartments.

Thanks for the tips! I am only beginning to learn to navigate the nucleus portal and cant seem to locate the housing channel. Maybe it will be posted closer to Spring? Has anyone else seen anything on their nucleus yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the tips! I am only beginning to learn to navigate the nucleus portal and cant seem to locate the housing channel. Maybe it will be posted closer to Spring? Has anyone else seen anything on their nucleus yet?
We'll the Facebook group exists, so I would use that if I were you. I don't remember how to find the housing message board. It was convoluted and not many people use it.

any tips and/or insight for the interview here?
My interview day started around noon. We were taken on a tour, had lunch and the interviews were last. The whole day is meant to be very relaxed. I was interviewed by a faculty member of admissions and two PCOM alums. My interview wasn't very conversational, standard back and forth interview style. Each interviewer asked me around 5 interview style questions. Some of the questions I remember were,
What is your plan if you get accepted/rejected by every school?
What will you miss if you started school next fall?
What would you do as a resident if you saw a doctor make a mistake?

I am hoping to receive an interview invitation from PCOM. I have received all my grades from the fall semester and would like to send them an update. Any advice on the update format?

Thanks!

My interview day started around noon. We were taken on a tour, had lunch and the interviews were last. The whole day is meant to be very relaxed. I was interviewed by a faculty member of admissions and two PCOM alums. My interview wasn't very conversational, standard back and forth interview style. Each interviewer asked me around 5 interview style questions. Some of the questions I remember were,

Thank you! That's some good stuff.

any tips and/or insight for the interview here?

Similar except mine was 8AM - we did breakfast first, then tour, then interviews
Also look at this if you want an idea of what to expect as far as questions go... http://schools.studentdoctor.net/sc...llege-of-osteopathic-medicine-at-philadelphia

Good luck!

I am hoping to receive an interview invitation from PCOM. I have received all my grades from the fall semester and would like to send them an update. Any advice on the update format?

Thanks!
Same here! I am still waiting on one grade, but I am hoping to get a positive response after updating my grades. Fingers crossed :beaver:

For those of you who received acceptance letters via snail mail, did they come in normal sized envelopes or in large packets?

Any recent interview invites lately? Complete in November.

Any recent interview invites lately? Complete in November.

pcom has been quiet quiet all cycle, their FB page only has 48 people, I imagine they have about 70-75 spots filled. Well over half the class empty, they have had a delay this cycle as mentioned on previous pages. I imagine they will go in to turbo mode in these coming months.

For those of you who received acceptance letters via snail mail, did they come in normal sized envelopes or in large packets?

It was in a normal sized envelope, but it was thicker because there were other pieces of paper in there (omm dress code policies, technical standards)! Hope this helps :)

Reactions: 2 users
Just checked online, they accept a class of 260! How are they going fill this class out?!

Just checked online, they accept a class of 260! How are they going fill this class out?!
I don't think they have just accepted 70-75 students as you stated previously. I would say realistically about half the spots are filled.

Emailed an academic/research update today. Does anyone know if PCOM is accepting of in-the-area emails?

II this morning!!!! I'm so excited!!! Interviewing Jan 7th. I was complete at the end of July so don't give up hope! I was starting to.

Congrats! Would you mind sharing a few questions that they asked you during the interview?

I don't think they have just accepted 70-75 students as you stated previously. I would say realistically about half the spots are filled.

There has been alot of people interviewing in the past couple months.

Anyone who received acceptance and felt that their interview didn't go too well??

Congrats! Would you mind sharing a few questions that they asked you during the interview?
What is your definition of success and do you consider yourself successful?
Describe a time when you felt overwhelmed by your responsibilities, how did you handle it, and how will you take that with you to medical school?

Emailed an academic/research update today. Does anyone know if PCOM is accepting of in-the-area emails?

Did they accept the update? I was told by admissions that they do not accept updates unless they are grades or IAs?

Did they accept the update? I was told by admissions that they do not accept updates unless they are grades or IAs?
They haven't emailed back but my update was grades. So I hope they accept it.

My interview was cold and they didn’t make me feel comfortable, but for others, it was very friendly like. The questions were very simple, like the ones posted in the SDN. Just be yourself and if you are feeling nervous, slow down and take your time to think your answer. It is a panel interview, round table with a DO, DO Student, and Admission person. Try to make eye contact with all of them as you articulate your answers, this is the hardest part. All my other interviews were just getting to know you like, and this one was straight reading questions from their papers. Just be yourself, good luck…
I had a very similar experience.

Did anyone submit the deposit via credit card over the phone? Is that possible?

Did anyone submit the deposit via credit card over the phone? Is that possible?

I don't know about over the phone. You can do it online. Although the service fee for the credit card is substantial.

I don't know about over the phone. You can do it online. Although the service fee for the credit card is substantial.
How substantial are we talking? Also do you know if they accept cash in the mail?

Does this school give silent rejections? I have been complete since October and have not heard anything.

How substantial are we talking? Also do you know if they accept cash in the mail?
You can not mail in payments anymore. Everything has to be paid online this year, makes meeting deadlines so much easier