Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nvm delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How have you guys approached the strange wording of the first portion of the secondary "Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field."? Have you named characteristics that you possess that fit well with being a DO? I'm not sure how else you would answer this part.

How have you guys approached the strange wording of the first portion of the secondary "Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field."? Have you named characteristics that you possess that fit well with being a DO? I'm not sure how else you would answer this part.

With the small word limit, I basically focused on the second part of the question ("tell us about a time when your actions influence someone's life" or whatever it says), and I kinda hoped that the characteristics I was displaying in that story were able to demonstrate my interest in osteopathic medicine. It's a little difficult to explain... I think that whatever way you choose to answer this will be acceptable so long as you actually answer the question and your response is well-written.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the small word limit, I basically focused on the second part of the question ("tell us about a time when your actions influence someone's life" or whatever it says), and I kinda hoped that the characteristics I was displaying in that story were able to demonstrate my interest in osteopathic medicine. It's a little difficult to explain... I think that whatever way you choose to answer this will be acceptable so long as you actually answer the question and your response is well-written.
my concern is that naming characteristics doesn't display interest and so if I name things like leadership I won't even be answering the 'interest' question, I think I have a solid story for the second part though

my concern is that naming characteristics doesn't display interest and so if I name things like leadership I won't even be answering the 'interest' question, I think I have a solid story for the second part though

Yeah, just naming characteristics isn't great. I wrote about a time that I was helping an individual of lower socioeconomic standing, and I talked about how some of these experiences got me interested in social determinants of health (a big thing in osteopathic medicine). I kind of just assumed that my interest in that = a characteristic that demonstrates interest in osteopathic medicine :shrug: The word limit is so ridiculously tiny that I couldn't really see any other way of telling my story and talking about how my characteristics show an interest.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, just naming characteristics isn't great. I wrote about a time that I was helping an individual of lower socioeconomic standing, and I talked about how some of these experiences got me interested in social determinants of health (a big thing in osteopathic medicine). I kind of just assumed that my interest in that = a characteristic that demonstrates interest in osteopathic medicine :shrug: The word limit is so ridiculously tiny that I couldn't really see any other way of telling my story and talking about how my characteristics show an interest.

This is basically how I'm approaching this.

I'm also curious about the LOR substitution for nontrads ... also, does anyone know about the rotation sites at PCOM? Do most students have to move all over for rotations or are most or all rotations still doable without moving?

When I went to the open house this year, they mentioned that PCOM changed up how they organized rotations so that students can now choose to stay in one area for most rotations.

Thanks for sharing that info. Does that mean that once you move to a rotation site you are more able to stay put, or that you might not have to move at all from where you are in the first and second year? Honestly it may not end up mattering to me if that LOR requirement is nonnegotiable ....

Apologies for all the repeat posts! Something went funky with my computer.

So my app was verified on July 9. I emailed them last night and they said they haven't received my app yet.

I just checked online and it said my app was received 7/17/15 (sent mine in July 8th)

Members don't see this ad :)
how does sending letters of recommendations work? I sent all mine to aacomas.

who was your guide?
When I went to the open house this year, they mentioned that PCOM changed up how they organized rotations so that students can now choose to stay in one area for most rotations.

When do we get the secondary?
You get the secondary as soon as they get your application from AACOMAS. Don't expect anything to be done for at least the 15 business days. They get swamped early and stay swamped until the deadline. Apparently this year nothing is getting done on applications until they receive the 75.00.

Hello everyone, are there any D.O./PhD prospective or current students that might be able to answer my questions? :)

anyone think I would be wasting my money submitting an app here? IL resident, c3.49/s3.18/n3.82 with 25 (8/8/9); I looked at their matriculate pool profile for 2014 and saw nobody from Illinois matriculated (I know that doesn't mean that nobody was accepted though). There just seems to be a heavy NE bias, and since my stats aren't superb or anything I just was wondering if there are any current students/admin that could offer an opinion on the situation

I'm having a crazy difficult time getting PCOM to accept my third faculty letter of recommendation. I'm don't know if I can complete my application here- wasted all this money on their primary + secondary. Even if I get new rec, I'll be losing all the advantage of applying early. This sucks...

I'm having a crazy difficult time getting PCOM to accept my third faculty letter of recommendation. I'm don't know if I can complete my application here- wasted all this money on their primary + secondary. Even if I get new rec, I'll be losing all the advantage of applying early. This sucks...

What challenges are you having?

What challenges are you having?

It seems that none of letters I've submitted are working as a third faculty letter for various reasons: missing signature, missing school letterhead. I mean, I understand it's their policy but I just really wanted to go here. I don't know what I can do as I've been out of school for so many years and the professors whose letters they are having an issue with are no longer teaching at the school ( no way to contact them). I'm going to have to somehow find a new third letter which will take me until October/November at least.

Has anyone used the AACOMAS service for their LORs? I didn't designate a letter when submitting my primary because my school uses Virtual Evals. Then my school's pre-health office sent out an e-mail saying they would be uploading letters to AACOMAS, so I added the letter and am now just waiting for it to be received. Basically, my question is: do I have to do anything in order for my letters to be sent to PCOM?

I had my letters sent into AACOMAS from Interfolio and the letters were delivered along with my primary after it was verified and PCOM has marked that my letters are received so I think your letters should be alright too.

Got the secondary for PCOM and the GA campus this morning, who else?

I had my letters sent into AACOMAS from Interfolio and the letters were delivered along with my primary after it was verified and PCOM has marked that my letters are received so I think your letters should be alright too.

Thank you!

Application fee was paid on July 8th... and they still have not received my secondary.... I knew this was going to happen

Last edited:
is anything supposed to appear in the "notes" column? Since I have dates in the received column that means I'm good to go right?

I suppose I'm complete. They received my payment on 07/10, and my secondary app was marked as being received on 07/21. Everything else was received before that. Keeping my fingers crossed for an II sometime soon :)

secondary submitted. this was by far the most difficult secondary I have done. that 250 words though

Dat secondary essay, what a doozy! I am not looking forward to writing it. It will probably take me longer than 4 prompts with a 500 words limit, I know it.

could you share the prompts. thank you
Sure thing boss:

Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO

is anything supposed to appear in the "notes" column? Since I have dates in the received column that means I'm good to go right?

I was going to ask this too... There's a name under my physician letter, but nothing under my two sciences letters... is this the case with everyone else?

Dat secondary essay, what a doozy! I am not looking forward to writing it. It will probably take me longer than 4 prompts with a 500 words limit, I know it.

Haha...I really like the sound of this school, but is it bad that I almost feel like skipping it due to this prompt? I mean, I won't, but...personal characteristics that demonstrate interest in this field? And influencing the life of someone else? Er...definitely can't think of a time where I've done the latter.

Apparently a lot are having problems with the new aacomas application. If you add anything to is you needs to let the school know because they have no reason to go and get another application if they already have one. My friend is applying this year and had information c hanged and when it wasn't showing he called. They told him they would try to go in and get the new one. Just so everyone knows

Apparently a lot are having problems with the new aacomas application. If you add anything to is you needs to let the school know because they have no reason to go and get another application if they already have one. My friend is applying this year and had information c hanged and when it wasn't showing he called. They told him they would try to go in and get the new one. Just so everyone knows

That sounds like common sense, but I guess I've been lacking that since the app season started.

Are the applications not electronic? Do they not get updated automatically. I'm not sure how true this is.

AACOMAS's instructions more or less echo my sentiment. It is the school's job to handle updates in the manner that best works for them. I don't think I payed 895.00USD so that I could have the pleasure of updating every school about every little change.

Last edited:
Are the applications not electronic? Do they not get updated automatically. I'm not sure how true this is.

AACOMAS's instructions more or less echo my sentiment. It is the school's job to handle updates in the manner that best works for them. I don't think I payed 895.00USD so that I could have the pleasure of updating every school about every little change.
Used to be the uploaded hundreds at a time but now with the new system it is individual with no notification when something changes. Whey would they go in and duplicate a record unless they know there is something new in it? Glad I applied last year because my friend took a gap year and is now having issues with the new system. He has had to call in twice because his letter writers have been slow to get the letters in.

Nope, it doesn't work like that. When you submit your application, AACOMAS stores it in a database. The schools that you paid for go in and download all of the applications that were submitted to them. When you update your application, the AACOMAS database is updated but the school still has the original version of your application until they go back into Aacomas and download the updated version. Just because you updated your application in aacomas doesn't mean the file is updated in the school's system.

Source: Adcoms from Rowan and Cusom

Quick question-

I just submitted both my PCOM secondaries and neither prompted me to pay. Is there any payment at all? Or will they send me an email with directions on how to pay?

Thanks guys!

Quick question-

I just submitted both my PCOM secondaries and neither prompted me to pay. Is there any payment at all? Or will they send me an email with directions on how to pay?

Thanks guys!

You send them a check or money order of $75 each.

You send them a check or money order of $75 each.

I thought they added a way to pay online? No?

[Edit] I used my reading skills and re-read the email PCOM sent. There is a way to pay online. You can pay by credit card or echeck :)

Woo!

Last edited:
Nope, it doesn't work like that. When you submit your application, AACOMAS stores it in a database. The schools that you paid for go in and download all of the applications that were submitted to them. When you update your application, the AACOMAS database is updated but the school still has the original version of your application until they go back into Aacomas and download the updated version. Just because you updated your application in aacomas doesn't mean the file is updated in the school's system.

Source: Adcoms from Rowan and Cusom

That's a user error on their end. Ugh.

Has anyone received a "complete" email? All of my required items are marked as received, so I'm assuming my application is complete, I just haven't heard anything on PCOMs end.

Reactions: 2 users