Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How close is PCOM from the city? Also where do students do their rotations- is there a PCOM owned hospital?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

How close is PCOM from the city? Also where do students do their rotations- is there a PCOM owned hospital?

PCOM is in west Philly and isn't too far from downtown if traffic isn't bad! There isn't a PCOM owned hospital, but rotations are throughout the city, some community centers, some in Delaware I believe...there's a list posted somewhere

Members don't see this ad :)
No mail today...guess the mail is slower coming down south

Random question for current students (or anyone who knows): is it possible to find a place to live alone that loans can afford? Or do the majority of students here live with a roommate? Living alone is a strong interest of mine and I was wondering if it was possible since the cost of living in Philly is much higher compared to the location of some other schools. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Random question for current students (or anyone who knows): is it possible to find a place to live alone that loans can afford? Or do the majority of students here live with a roommate? Living alone is a strong interest of mine and I was wondering if it was possible since the cost of living in Philly is much higher compared to the location of some other schools. Thanks!

I'm wondering the same thing. Not sure if I'm getting in yet but I got to prep for the costs. Folks I talked to said to live in Manayunk.

I'm wondering the same thing. Not sure if I'm getting in yet but I got to prep for the costs. Folks I talked to said to live in Manayunk.

Same. I got a delayed decision letter a few weeks ago. I loved PCOM, but I have an acceptance somewhere where I can afford to live alone so I really want to know if that is possible for the Philly area too! I live close to Philadelphia but know nothing about cost or if rent is doable for a single, poor med student lol.

Same. I got a delayed decision letter a few weeks ago. I loved PCOM, but I have an acceptance somewhere where I can afford to live alone so I really want to know if that is possible for the Philly area too! I live close to Philadelphia but know nothing about cost or if rent is doable for a single, poor med student lol.

I think anything is possible!! I lived in Baltimore for grad school by myself. Cost about $1300 a month for my apartment and it was within my stipend which is similar to what the living expenses are there. Where else did you get in if you don't mind me asking?

hey! I'm going to be a first year next year and just locked down a one bedroom apartment. Like you, I also wanted to live on my own. I think its doable, that being said I'm going to be on a very very tight budget since I have a dog and only a few places in the area accept dogs. I would say definitely check out the Metropolitan at Bala, the Lincoln Green, Presidential City (pricey but maybe a studio will be doable).

What is, realistically, the latest one would have to wait on a "delayed decision"? I considering sending a letter of intent BUT I'm scared that if they would accept me, they wouldn't let me know until like July or something.

I already got once acceptance and I was going to look into housing and stuff soon. I'd hate to waste even more thousands of dollars on acquiring an apartment and stuff, and then get in around July. With a letter of intent, I'd be required to go and it could make housing tricky so late in the game, plus losing all the money invested at the other school.

Any insight or advice? I really do prefer PCOM 100% but I don't want to be dragged around until July.

I'm not even sure of when people get housing typically and stuff yet. I assumed early.

What is, realistically, the latest one would have to wait on a "delayed decision"? I considering sending a letter of intent BUT I'm scared that if they would accept me, they wouldn't let me know until like July or something.

I already got once acceptance and I was going to look into housing and stuff soon. I'd hate to waste even more thousands of dollars on acquiring an apartment and stuff, and then get in around July. With a letter of intent, I'd be required to go and it could make housing tricky so late in the game, plus losing all the money invested at the other school.

Any insight or advice? I really do prefer PCOM 100% but I don't want to be dragged around until July.

I'm not even sure of when people get housing typically and stuff yet. I assumed early.
A LOI is not binding - even if you send one and end up getting accepted, you don't HAVE to go. This is also the reason why med schools don't really take LOIs too seriously, people send them and don't end up matriculating all the time.

You could probably find housing in Philly last minute, city housing works differently than college town housing. In college towns, apartments all fill up around the same time in the spring because school/leases start in the fall. But people are always moving into and out of cities so apartments sporadically become available.

I'm one of those "person of my word" types. I am interested in sending a LOI because I really think I'm borderline. My stats were well above their average but I believe my interview was lackluster.

But if city housing is easier, I might just risk the late acceptance and send in a LOI. I'll try to hold out as long as I can at the school I hold an acceptance at so I don't lose an apartment deposit. Losing all these deposits stings for a minimum wage worker, wish they could just hurry up and tell me yes or no.

Hey gang! I just had my interview today. It was great. I just love PCOM. I want to send a thank you letter to the adcom but not sure who to send it to? Do I just send a general email to the admissions office?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey gang! I just had my interview today. It was great. I just love PCOM. I want to send a thank you letter to the adcom but not sure who to send it to? Do I just send a general email to the admissions office?

You can send a general letter to the admissions office :)

I'm one of those "person of my word" types. I am interested in sending a LOI because I really think I'm borderline. My stats were well above their average but I believe my interview was lackluster.

But if city housing is easier, I might just risk the late acceptance and send in a LOI. I'll try to hold out as long as I can at the school I hold an acceptance at so I don't lose an apartment deposit. Losing all these deposits stings for a minimum wage worker, wish they could just hurry up and tell me yes or no.
I know, it's a lot of money to just throw down the drain. But if you want PCOM, think of it as a small investment in the grand scheme of getting a medical education from your #1 school! :)

Does anyone know how long it took to get your nucleus password and email after submitting your $250 payment? Or do you also have to turn in the $1500 and code of ethics agreement they sent with the letter to get it?

Does anyone know how long it took to get your nucleus password and email after submitting your $250 payment? Or do you also have to turn in the $1500 and code of ethics agreement they sent with the letter to get it?
It takes a few days after you submit the $250 deposit!

Yea they should have given you the interviewer names and you can send an email to the admissions office. I'm old fashioned so I hand wrote thank you notes.

Yea I'm second guessing my interview answers and stuff...kind of in a time crunch...if I don't get in this year I can't reapply for at least 3 years...

I will start a job with a 3 letter government agency...

Thanks!! It has to wait too I do my shots of Jameson and drink my Yuengling...safe beer and safe whiskey

So anyone call to ask why it was a delayed decision?
The Committee doesn't let the admission staff know this. They make the decisions at a meeting and staff send out the letters. Only the Committee knows the whys and wherefors I think

People getting letters yesterday/today - does that mean the committee met this week or last? Just trying to figure out when they will be meeting next as I interviewed on Monday and it was way more formal than I expected and I walked out having no idea how I did.

So looking at last year's forum it seems that a lot of folks that interviewed in the January/February/March timeframe received "Delayed Decisions" - of those numerous individuals received acceptances and some got put on the waitlist. I did not see any that received a rejection but I did not look that closely. So there is still hope.

Reactions: 2 users
So looking at last year's forum it seems that a lot of folks that interviewed in the January/February/March timeframe received "Delayed Decisions" - of those numerous individuals received acceptances and some got put on the waitlist. I did not see any that received a rejection but I did not look that closely. So there is still hope.
The reason they delay decisions is most likely because they are at or close to the class size capacity right now and they are waiting for people to either not pay their deposits (forfeiting their acceptance) or to let the school know they have chosen to go somewhere else. I would think that getting a delayed decision is much better than getting outright waitlisted or rejected, because they clearly like you enough but can't offer you a spot just yet.

Reactions: 5 users
I posted this a couple pages back, but I thought I'd post again for the new posters with "delayed decisions." This is after I perused last years forum for PCOM:

Also, for those who are curious and who have been wait listed/delayed decision, it looks like about 10 people on SDN received acceptances late in the game after being waitlisted/delayed, starting from February and some into July.

I did see one person received a rejection later in the game, like July. But for that one person rejected, there were those 10 accepted.

I spoke to my friend who's a first year and she states she knows a handful of current students who were wait listed or their decision was deferred before they were offered acceptances. It seems like they do pull a lot from these lists of people (this is purely an anecdote, I clearly have no statistics). I mentioned the delayed decision to my advisor as well, she said that's a good sign that we're still being strongly considered. I know I was beyond bummed out at my deferred decision, too. However, it seems that there's still a good reason to hope!

Reactions: 1 users
I posted this a couple pages back, but I thought I'd post again for the new posters with "delayed decisions." This is after I perused last years forum for PCOM:

Also, for those who are curious and who have been wait listed/delayed decision, it looks like about 10 people on SDN received acceptances late in the game after being waitlisted/delayed, starting from February and some into July.

I did see one person received a rejection later in the game, like July. But for that one person rejected, there were those 10 accepted.

I spoke to my friend who's a first year and she states she knows a handful of current students who were wait listed or their decision was deferred before they were offered acceptances. It seems like they do pull a lot from these lists of people (this is purely an anecdote, I clearly have no statistics). I mentioned the delayed decision to my advisor as well, she said that's a good sign that we're still being strongly considered. I know I was beyond bummed out at my deferred decision, too. However, it seems that there's still a good reason to hope!
The movement depends on how many withdraw so it can vary widely every year

Anyone know if this school is receptive to pre-interview updates and how I can send it if so?

I apologize if this has been asked before. I just couldn't find the information. Thank you.

Anyone know if this school is receptive to pre-interview updates and how I can send it if so?

I apologize if this has been asked before. I just couldn't find the information. Thank you.

Yea they accept them but just to be honest it's really late so it may not yield any response or result.

Oh sorry I didn't answer your other question! Just there general admissions email works.

Has anyone who has gotten a delayed decision heard back yet? Or does PCOM generally wait until the end of April to get back to all delayed decisions?