Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I take it you are applying to CUSOM as well? Whats your 1st choice?

Can't apply to CUSOM. I'm a health services management B.S graduate with Gen Chem I and II, Org I and II, Physics I and II, and Biology I and II. However, CUSOM requires a level 3000 science requirement if I recall correctly and I don't have any advanced science credits. I could always call and ask if they'd accept one of my Health Services Management credits, but I'm already applying to 17 D.O schools and 1 M.D school. CUSOM would be low on my list anyways. Its accreditation status + unfavorable location (I want to move) make it not ideal for my interests. Plus, with my stats I should be able to select from one of my top choices.

I will add that I'm an EMT and I have seen CUSOM's students at some of the hospitals I frequent.. and it does seem they have quality rotation sites. I know a lot about the area if anybody is interested. CUSOM will be a great school, I'd apply if I could.

Oh, and first choice is PCOM Pa/Ga or Brody SOM (M.D, for tuition only would it be my first choice) :) .. Then probably NSU or LECOM-B

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@Camaxtli : are you IS? did you have good stats/EC's?
@silvermecca : When was your interview? Im not that familiar with interviews but if you submitted essentially the first day, my intuition would tell me you had an early-ish interview (sept/oct/nov time). Why did you find out so late?? How were your stats?
My interview was not until January! I applied the minute it opened up! I have no idea why it happened so late other than they wanted to see what my first semester MBS scores. I thought my stats/EC's were comparable to others getting interviewed etc. I am also an EMT. I am in state! I thought I mentioned that LECOM and PCOM were my top picks because my goal was to remain instate. Don't think I was not sweating it out when I was hearing nothing until December indicating my interview in January. Hope you get yours much sooner. Better to have an early interview in my opinion. The January, February, March interviews I thought tend to be deferred or wait listed. I am sure there are exceptions. After my interview, I was deferred and then received my acceptance in late March, early April. During my MBS program, I had my first acceptance in the first month of school. (September, 2014) from LECOM and really liked the school and the interview but it was not my top pick. PCOM was! Did I need an MBS to get accepted? It helped me with PCOM. (after the first semester was completed). Hope this helped. Just my story. There are many more that are not like mine! Many had their acceptances much earlier at PCOM.

Last edited:
My interview was not until January! I applied the minute it opened up! I have no idea why it happened so late other than they wanted to see what my first semester MBS scores. I thought my stats/EC's were comparable to others getting interviewed etc. I am also an EMT. I am in state! I thought I mentioned that LECOM and PCOM were my top picks because my goal was to remain instate. Don't think I was not sweating it out when I was hearing nothing until December indicating my interview in January. Hope you get yours much sooner. Better to have an early interview in my opinion. The January, February, March interviews I thought tend to be deferred or wait listed. I am sure there are exceptions. After my interview, I was deferred and then received my acceptance in late March, early April. During my MBS program, I had my first acceptance in the first month of school. (September, 2014) from LECOM and really liked the school and the interview but it was not my top pick. PCOM was! Did I need an MBS to get accepted? It helped me with PCOM. (after the first semester was completed). Hope this helped. Just my story. There are many more that are not like mine! Many had their acceptances much earlier at PCOM.

Dang, that's kinda scary you heard back so late. How many schools did you apply to?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dang, that's kinda scary you heard back so late. How many schools did you apply to?
I sent primaries to about 20 DO schools and 1 MD school (instate, MBS school attending). The month of September I had two interviews and two acceptances. That cut down my secondaries because I was accepted to my number two choice. Why waste the money? Much later in the cycle, accepted to my number one choice PCOM. Being accepted in September was sweet but lost my 1500 dollar deposit that was put down in September. After being accepted to LECOM so early in the game, the pressure was actually off of me. I still wanted PCOM to come through but would have been extremely happy at LECOM if it was meant to be. Final outcome, three acceptances, two wait lists. Glad it is over! Start PCOM on Monday. This will be my last message for awhile. The next journey begins. To those that get interviews in the next months..........Good luck! Remember, if you get an interview, they are very interested in you! Getting interviewed in September, October, November is the best. That is when most of the acceptances are given out. Just from my experience. Some may not agree. Also, I talked with a number of students attending PCOM when I interviewed and toured the campus. I am honored to be one of them now! From my experience, they were extremely approachable and friendly. The faculty who interviewed me made me feel much at ease and were the best. Actually, ALL of my interviews I enjoyed. Did not have a negative experience. Some I did not feel "at home" but all of the people I encountered in my DO experience were good people! Hope you will feel the same!

Reactions: 2 users
what were your stats if you dont mind me asking? im worried about getting in so late (if I am blessed enough) because by then, ill likely already have my deposit down for somewhere else D:

what were your stats if you dont mind me asking? im worried about getting in so late (if I am blessed enough) because by then, ill likely already have my deposit down for somewhere else D:
Sent you a personal message. So much to write!

Ah, cool. I'm also applying to 1 M.D and about 18 D.O. I'd be interested to know your stats too, if you don't mind.

Does anyone have any experience in emailing PCOM? When you email them they basically say "we aren't going to verify receipt of your materials and application status information is not provided at any time" I am showing that they received my LOR on 7/19 but the column for Pre-Health Advisor/Committee is blank. Has anyone received a "complete" email when all the materials are received?

Does anyone have any experience in emailing PCOM? When you email them they basically say "we aren't going to verify receipt of your materials and application status information is not provided at any time" I am showing that they received my LOR on 7/19 but the column for Pre-Health Advisor/Committee is blank. Has anyone received a "complete" email when all the materials are received?

I received an "acknowledgment pcom secondary received" email from both campuses, which I interpreted as a "your application is complete" email

I received an "acknowledgment pcom secondary received" email from both campuses, which I interpreted as a "your application is complete" email

Note so for me. I received the same for pcom ga and whem I checked they didn't have/hadn't listed my committee letter.

Me too. What did you do/What are you planning on doing?

Well my letters were only uploaded Friday (thanks ug :/)...so I figured I'd wait it out till Tuesday/Wednesday before calling.

Good call. Earliest II I found was 9/5. Which seems like an eternity away haha but it's good to have an idea, so now I can TRY not to check my e-mail 5 times a day for the next month ;)

Are you from the area or a displaced Eagles fan? I live nearby but I've never been to an Eagles game! I'm dying to go. I'm actually heading to the Linc for training camp tomorrow!
And remember Labor Day is later this year so they may start later because of the holiday

Members don't see this ad :)
Well my letters were only uploaded Friday (thanks ug :/)...so I figured I'd wait it out till Tuesday/Wednesday before calling.
Wait is out the 15 days because you have to give them that time

It is more than 15 days now, when I called she told me to wait 2 more weeks past the 15 days and then call again if nothing has changed.

It is more than 15 days now, when I called she told me to wait 2 more weeks past the 15 days and then call again if nothing has changed.
sounds like they've gone a stupid amount of applications already...welp, there goes basically all my hope of attending here (coupled with the fact they havent even sent out II's yet).

I'm having the same issue. I see my LORs received on 7/19, but it's not reflected on the Pre-Health Advisor/Committee slot. Let me know when yours gets updated and I'll do the same?

ALSO - SOS - I submitted my secondary application on 7/18 and it's STILL not shown as received on the online portal. Think I should e mail them about it or just re-submit the form??

I'm having the same issue. I see my LORs received on 7/19, but it's not reflected on the Pre-Health Advisor/Committee slot. Let me know when yours gets updated and I'll do the same?

ALSO - SOS - I submitted my secondary application on 7/18 and it's STILL not shown as received on the online portal. Think I should e mail them about it or just re-submit the form??
I will let you know. I emailed them today. Also I would email them on the supplemental app. Seems like they are way behind this cycle and it might be shown as received in the next 10 days it takes them to email you back.

@Camaxtli : are you IS? did you have good stats/EC's?
@silvermecca : When was your interview? Im not that familiar with interviews but if you submitted essentially the first day, my intuition would tell me you had an early-ish interview (sept/oct/nov time). Why did you find out so late?? How were your stats?

I wasn't instate but my grades and ecs were good.

Just went through day 1 of orientation. Lots of representation from different areas, majors, and age. Great diversity also. There was 9800 applications 770 interviews 440 acceptances for the 270 spots. Good luck class of 2020. If you have questions about applying feel free to pm me. The school seems great they really are a family and try to help you.

I also realized two people matched into internal medicine at Pennsylvania hospital which I thought was cool! We also had a path match there.

Last edited:
I wasn't instate but my grades and ecs were good.

Just went through day 1 of orientation. Lots of representation from different areas, majors, and age. Great diversity also. There was 9800 applications 770 interviews 440 acceptances for the 270 spots. Good luck class of 2020. If you have questions about applying feel free to pm me. The school seems great they really are a family and try to help you.

I also realized two people matched into internal medicine at Pennsylvania hospital which I thought was cool! We also had a path match there.
any word on avg gpa/mcat?! #neurotic

any word on avg gpa/mcat?! #neurotic

When the cheif of admissions talked to us she didn't give out the average GPA/MCAT. PCOM seems to care about more than numbers. I think they could easily make the numbers higher but they seem to care more about the student they are taking.

In this past the average GPA has been about 3.4 - 3.5 and MCAT is 27-28. With the 15% bump in applications the numbers might be up a bit too but that's a guess. If they let us know I will let you guys know.

Anybody else submit their secondary, but the only thing missing for completion is the actual receipt of said secondary? They received the secondary fee, LOR, MCAT, etc.

They have not however received the actually supplementary application. I can't email or call them apparently so....

Anybody else submit their secondary, but the only thing missing for completion is the actual receipt of said secondary? They received the secondary fee, LOR, MCAT, etc.

They have not however received the actually supplementary application. I can't email or call them apparently so....

Me.. except I did e mail them, whoops. I asked if I should re submit my secondary (in case there was an issue where they haven't received it, etc.) since I submitted on 7/18. Their response: "We ask for at least 15 business days to process and depending on volume it could take longer."

-___-

I got an email yesterday saying they received it. It took about 1.5 weeks after submitting

I sent primaries to about 20 DO schools and 1 MD school (instate, MBS school attending). The month of September I had two interviews and two acceptances. That cut down my secondaries because I was accepted to my number two choice. Why waste the money? Much later in the cycle, accepted to my number one choice PCOM. Being accepted in September was sweet but lost my 1500 dollar deposit that was put down in September. After being accepted to LECOM so early in the game, the pressure was actually off of me. I still wanted PCOM to come through but would have been extremely happy at LECOM if it was meant to be. Final outcome, three acceptances, two wait lists. Glad it is over! Start PCOM on Monday. This will be my last message for awhile. The next journey begins. To those that get interviews in the next months..........Good luck! Remember, if you get an interview, they are very interested in you! Getting interviewed in September, October, November is the best. That is when most of the acceptances are given out. Just from my experience. Some may not agree. Also, I talked with a number of students attending PCOM when I interviewed and toured the campus. I am honored to be one of them now! From my experience, they were extremely approachable and friendly. The faculty who interviewed me made me feel much at ease and were the best. Actually, ALL of my interviews I enjoyed. Did not have a negative experience. Some I did not feel "at home" but all of the people I encountered in my DO experience were good people! Hope you will feel the same!

Great post. I interviewed in December and got in so for those who interview later don't be nervous!

When the cheif of admissions talked to us she didn't give out the average GPA/MCAT. PCOM seems to care about more than numbers. I think they could easily make the numbers higher but they seem to care more about the student they are taking.

In this past the average GPA has been about 3.4 - 3.5 and MCAT is 27-28. With the 15% bump in applications the numbers might be up a bit too but that's a guess. If they let us know I will let you guys know.

I am also a new student and agree completely. They seem to care more about the student they are taking not solely the number game. I think it looks like a great class! Feel very comfortable being part of it. I think I made a good choice.

Just to add to this. I think they're speeding up, hopefully. I submitted everything on 8/6 but my secondary receipt and completion was marked yesterday.

So I submitted my secondary app on July 17th and it still hasn't shown up as received in the portal. I emailed PCOM and asked about it and they said it could take longer than 15 days. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I actually submitted my application. Did you receive any emails after submitting your app? Should I resubmit? Am I just being paranoid (more than likely)?

So I submitted my secondary app on July 17th and it still hasn't shown up as received in the portal. I emailed PCOM and asked about it and they said it could take longer than 15 days. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I actually submitted my application. Did you receive any emails after submitting your app? Should I resubmit? Am I just being paranoid (more than likely)?

Just be patient, PCOM is notoriously slow because of the sheer volume of applications they deal with- 8000+ last year and more this year. While you are waiting, make sure that everything else is in order, ie sending LORs in. Also, just work on things for other schools. Keep in mind that it's still really early.

Quick question- so does anyone else who went with three faculty letters instead of the prehealth/committee letter still have that letter appearing as required? Everything else is in for me: 3 faculty LORs, application fee, mcat scores, secondary. Just that pesky Pre-Health Advsr/Committee section still in blank. If no one else knows, I will call them to clarify and will let you guys know what they say.

Just be patient, PCOM is notoriously slow because of the sheer volume of applications they deal with- 8000+ last year and more this year. While you are waiting, make sure that everything else is in order, ie sending LORs in. Also, just work on things for other schools. Keep in mind that it's still really early.

Quick question- so does anyone else who went with three faculty letters instead of the prehealth/committee letter still have that letter appearing as required? Everything else is in for me: 3 faculty LORs, application fee, mcat scores, secondary. Just that pesky Pre-Health Advsr/Committee section still in blank. If no one else knows, I will call them to clarify and will let you guys know what they say.

Same. I have LORs marked as received but not in that committee section. If you can actually get a straightforward answer from them let me know lol they've been SUPER VAGUE every time I have asked a question.

Exact same issue that I'm having and I got the same e mail response. I'm gonna wait a little longer and probably just re submit the app if it doesn't show up. A month is ridiculous, esp considering they have my money and aacomas ha!

Once your three letters are received that meet their requirement they will either put it as a pre health committee or it will just have the three letters to complete the file. It is either or, but you have to make sure those faculty letters meet their requirement.

@futurexray Thanks!
Yeah, I called them up and explained that all my faculty LORs and everything else was processed and they removed the Pre-Health Advisor/Committee Letter requirement for me. Everything is in, updated, and finally marked complete.

Just received and submitted the secondary... ~3.0 sGPA/3.4cGPA/31 MCAT, great ECs. Just praying I don't get screened out early!

so i submit my secondary a while ago and was cruising over this thread and noticed that I guess we were suppose to state if we had received any and all traffic tickets. I can't remember what I clicked for the question, and to be quite honest I think I hit "no" instead of "yes"--even though in CA my 5 mph over the limit ticket isn't a misdemeanor and was cleared with drivers school. Would you recommend me email admissions and just mention to them my error?

wait what where did it say that you're supposed to report traffic tickets?

* Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor (excluding parking violations)?

In PA it's not a misdemeanor to get a traffic ticket. It's a simple violation so I did not report it. Look @ the local BAR association in CA and you'll find the answer to that. For instance:

http://www.pabar.org/clips/trafficviolations.pdf

It's a summary offense here which is different than a misdemeanor.
so i submit my secondary a while ago and was cruising over this thread and noticed that I guess we were suppose to state if we had received any and all traffic tickets. I can't remember what I clicked for the question, and to be quite honest I think I hit "no" instead of "yes"--even though in CA my 5 mph over the limit ticket isn't a misdemeanor and was cleared with drivers school. Would you recommend me email admissions and just mention to them my error?

oh sweet... maybe I'm crazy then. I remember reading something about it.. then again I read it late at night and I'm too lazy to look back.
I knew CA it's not a misdemeanor unless its more extreme than something minor

@hopefulERdoc251

Yeah haha no worries I know what you mean because some schools asked for even speeding tickets which i was like y u do this :wtf:

oh sweet... maybe I'm crazy then. I remember reading something about it.. then again I read it late at night and I'm too lazy to look back.
I knew CA it's not a misdemeanor unless its more extreme than something minor

@hopefulERdoc251

Forget about that!

Finally got my supplemental received. Seems like it took forever!

My secondary was finally marked as received (got the e-mail at 11:05PM last night). I submitted it sometime mid-July, though I forget the exact date. So it definitely took more than 15 business days.

Can anyone speak to when LORs tend to be marked as received if they were submitted after the secondary application was submitted? I submitted this secondary while still waiting for my pre-health advisors to upload my committee letter to AACOMAS. My committee letter was uploaded to AACOMAS last week and my secondary was marked as received a few days ago, however I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I can expect my letter to be marked as received. I emailed PCOM as soon as the letter was uploaded, however they haven't gotten back to me.

My secondary was finally marked as received (got the e-mail at 11:05PM last night). I submitted it sometime mid-July, though I forget the exact date. So it definitely took more than 15 business days.

+1

Anyone know how this schools board scores are + how they rank up with other schools in terms of scores?

Anyone know how this schools board scores are + how they rank up with other schools in terms of scores?

I don't think there board scores are known but its bound to vary between years. 3rd years I met seem to do well and the great match list probably means its fairly high. They also give a review course semester before boards and not much else in terms of class. Trimister system BTW.

so I just got an Incomplete email saying they don't have my LORs but they were submitted with AACOMAS...
Don't they have to go pull them from my AACOMAS application??

Can I apply here without a DO/MD letter?
I have a committee letter and everything...

Can anyone speak to when LORs tend to be marked as received if they were submitted after the secondary application was submitted? I submitted this secondary while still waiting for my pre-health advisors to upload my committee letter to AACOMAS. My committee letter was uploaded to AACOMAS last week and my secondary was marked as received a few days ago, however I'm wondering if anyone knows whether I can expect my letter to be marked as received. I emailed PCOM as soon as the letter was uploaded, however they haven't gotten back to me.
You need to tell them to go in and get another primary with the new letters.