Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
apparently my "incomplete' was because i didn't meet the correct LOR requirements. I had my other science professor email admissions to let them know she wrote my other science letter. This would give me 2 sci and 1 non-sci LOR. let's hope that makes me complete...
That is so ridiculous, and I'm assuming that's what happened to me as well. I suppose I'll give pcom a call/email today or tomorrow to straighten things out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
apparently my "incomplete' was because i didn't meet the correct LOR requirements. I had my other science professor email admissions to let them know she wrote my other science letter. This would give me 2 sci and 1 non-sci LOR. let's hope that makes me complete...

What email did you use?

What email did you use?

I just asked my prof to email admissions directly. It was what I could think of off the top of my head, but I would do what @pre-doc6 advises ([email protected]). If what he mentions is true " Your reference had to have explicitly mentioned the course you took with them", it's really frustrating since if that's the case you would essentially have to go through the whole process of submitting a new set of applications (contacting writers, submitting through whatever, having PCOM redownload them)...

Members don't see this ad :)
My references are not impressed lol. One of them replied saying "I rather thought that your presence in my class WAS explicitly part of my letter, but I will check the text and emphasize and resend". Oh well lets see if resubmitting will be worth it. Good luck to all

Reactions: 1 users
Is there an emoji for "pain in the ass".

:boom: You guys are better than me for handling this so well! I look like this in-real life: :mad:

Reactions: 2 users
any of you guys have any updates about that "incomplete" issue?

They are specific about the LOR. Your reference had to have explicitly mentioned the course you took with them (like mention the course code specifically). Something like "Jon was a student in my fourth year research course" is not specific enough and will make your LOR not meet the requirements.
I emailed them and that pretty much the reason why my LOR did not meet the requirements. They give you the option to submit updated letters and your references can send them to [email protected]

That's insane! Is that listed anywhere on the website? All I see are "three individual letters, and two must be from science profs".

From what I am hearing on campus you submit your application and maybe all the letters are there or maybe not. You pay your fee and they bring in your application. Then...you find out not all your letters were included when they got your application but you have to tell them if things are added after that. They are not doing duplicate work. It is not their fault it is really the new process problem and everyone is apparently really frustrated by it. From what I hear they are processing materials really fast but the letter issue is causing a multitude of issues.Emil them with your problems, do not call, and they will get back to you, usually faster than the ten days they have on the email response.

From what I am hearing on campus you submit your application and maybe all the letters are there or maybe not. You pay your fee and they bring in your application. Then...you find out not all your letters were included when they got your application but you have to tell them if things are added after that. They are not doing duplicate work. It is not their fault it is really the new process problem and everyone is apparently really frustrated by it. From what I hear they are processing materials really fast but the letter issue is causing a multitude of issues.Emil them with your problems, do not call, and they will get back to you, usually faster than the ten days they have on the email response.
That isn't true. I emailed them 3 times in the last 6 weeks and have received no response to any of them

High applicant volume doesn't excuse poor customer service. Point blank period.
I called there about a month ago and I can't remember who I dealt with, but I got off the phone saying wow I would never go to this school. Couldn't believe they would have someone so poor at customer service answering the phones. If you're going to sound annoyed by students calling and asking questions, get a new job!

It seems this cycle has just been rough on everyone. I'm going to email em today, but every other school has pulled my letters successfully so I feel pcom has as well it's probably a just a system thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called there about a month ago and I can't remember who I dealt with, but I got off the phone saying wow I would never go to this school. Couldn't believe they would have someone so poor at customer service answering the phones. If you're going to sound annoyed by students calling and asking questions, get a new job!

Don't let that deter you. For perspective--almost every patient you treat will come with a laundry list of problems (what some docs refer to as "baggage") and be, at times, difficult to care for and interact with. If the swamped, possibly low paid secretary who deals with neurotic premeds all day makes you not want to attend one of the best med schools in the country... well then that's silly

Don't let that deter you. For perspective--almost every patient you treat will come with a laundry list of problems (what some docs refer to as "baggage") and be, at times, difficult to care for and interact with. If the swamped, possibly low paid secretary who deals with neurotic premeds all day makes you not want to attend one of the best med schools in the country... well then that's silly
i havent had any issues with the staff but to be fair, not all schools react this way to student inquiries and show care for the student inquiries. If you're potentially going to be investing an exorbitant amount of money to attend any school, you'd expect some courtesy.

Last edited:
i havent had any issues with the staff but to be fair, not all schools react this way to student inquiries and show care for the student inquiries. If you're potentially going to be investing an exorbitant amount of money to attend any school, you'd expect some courtesy.

That's different when you're already attending the school and paying the exorbitant amount of money. When you're just applying, they won't care, because they will get thousands of applicants who will gladly take your spot. They don't need you.

You're supposed to want them, and will go through anything just to earn a seat in their class.

That's different when you're already attending the school and paying the exorbitant amount of money. When you're just applying, they won't care, because they will get thousands of applicants who will gladly take your spot. They don't need you.

You're supposed to want them, and will go through anything just to earn a seat in their class.
true..the differnce between an up an coming school and an established school that can get away with it.

Lol quit caping for PCOM. Their whole system is GARBAGE even for the low AACOMAS/DO standards this year when it comes to failing at doing anything right in terms of receiving LORs and transcripts.

true..the differnce between an up an coming school and an established school that can get away with it.

Unfortunately that is what happens. PCOM is one of the few schools that are actually close to a large city, so that makes this school even more desirable.

Lol quit caping for PCOM. Their whole system is GARBAGE even for the low AACOMAS/DO standards this year when it comes to failing at doing anything right in terms of receiving LORs and transcripts.

Yeah, but you're still going to want that acceptance from them. Right?

Yeah, but you're still going to want that acceptance from them. Right?

Yeah more and more as a back up. This just goes in line with the other parts of the forum talking about how PCOM has fallen off in the past decade. Smh.

Yeah more and more as a back up. This just goes in line with the other parts of the forum talking about how PCOM has fallen off in the past decade. Smh.

While that could be true, PCOM is still much better than most of the schools out there. I would rank RowanSOM and PCOM my top two choices because of their long tested education and relatively cheap tuition.

While that could be true, PCOM is still much better than most of the schools out there. I would rank RowanSOM and PCOM my top two choices because of their long tested education and relatively cheap tuition.

Yeah I'm applying to PCOM, Rowan, MSU, LECOM, and CCOM are the DO schools I'm applying to

Not sure what you're specifically referring to but if you would be so kind as to list these issues specifically, maybe I could help give you a better idea of the school and the changes its making to keep pace (and even outpace) with the other med schools in philly.

So did PCOM start sending out IIs yet..? LOL

I'm glad that I'm not the only one thinking that PCOM's customer service is straight up garbage. This school is like the GM and Ford among DOs -- a brand name that's slowly falling off the map. PCOM needs to remember that its current and future student bodies are what going to make PCOM great. If you put forward a poor product, top prospective applicants going to reciprocate by treating you as a backup.

truth bomb: since most of you will continue to pester them, it tells us you still want to go there ;)

wow all those complaining should just withdraw and leave space for those who want to come here. My friend used to work there and said in one hour while answering the phones he got ten calls all asking the same thing like what is my status, am I complete and they tell you in their email that they are not going to tell you that and then you all get annoyed when they don't tell you that. Give them a break. This year they will probably get over 10,000 application just for DO and we are not the only program at this school. The girl who answers the phone won't tell you and getting annoyed with her customer service is ridiculous.

Reactions: 3 users
:xf:

Last edited:
I read this forum and laugh about how entitled some of you sound. Pcom receives 10,000 ish apps for 260ish spots. Our class is more or less very cohesive and everybody is friends, goes out together, supports one another, etc.. So their selection process is very intentional and functioning as intended.

If you feel pcom is a "product falling off the map" you owe it to yourself and the others out there who'd be a good fit (because clearly you're not) to not even waste the application fee. You wouldn't be happy here and we wouldn't want you if you didn't fit our mission and student body.

For any other premeds reading this who may hear the uninformed propaganda here and worry about pcom, fear not! Our school is still excellent and the residencies and matches continue to impress. Our 4th years are mostly all matching their first choice, dedicated board prep time in the 2nd year has improved pass rates and scores, and our amazing residencies are transitioning to ACGME status with ease. Every time I am in a hospital the attendings comment on how pcom students have unrivaled clinical skills--the pcom emergency simulation team recently beat the other philly schools (penn, Jeff, temple, and Drexel) in a CLAS test for a series of routine codes. As a matter of fact, at the end of your first year you're required to do a full History and Physical which takes ~1hr if done correctly and comprehensively, then write a note. My best friend is a student at one of the other philly schools and has informed me that they are only required to take a blood pressure and look in the patients' throat. Point being, you will learn clinical skills better here and be able to detect routine pathology early on due to our emphasis on training great clinicians.

Bottom line: don't take anything you read on sdn seriously. Make an informed decision for yourself when you come to campus and interact w our students and docs. PM me if you want real impressions of the school from somebody who actually goes here (as opposed to somebody who is applying despite referring to the school as a "product falling off the map"). Good luck to all.

Reactions: 10 users
"one hour while answering the phones he got ten calls all asking the same thing like what is my status, am I complete and they tell you in their email that they are not going to tell you that and then you all get annoyed when they don't tell you that."

plot twist: the school rejects applicants who call up and these questions because they cant follow directions.
Depending on how nasty someone gets they do put notes so people reviewing files can see it

Would be so honored to go here so if you feel that it is not worth your time then please withdraw!

Current atudents say they come out mid to late sept for early oct interviews.

That's insane! Is that listed anywhere on the website? All I see are "three individual letters, and two must be from science profs".
You are so right! It is not written anywhere on their website - http://admissions.pcom.edu/app-process/doctor-of-osteopathic-medicine-do/
In fact, they just say "SCIENCE" professor, not even that they want faculty who has taught us a course. For example, one of my letters is from Graduate Research Advisor - who is a science professor but did not teach me a course. But she was my advisor all through my master thesis work. I have two publications with her and still it did not count! It is only after you get a secondary invitation that the instructions at the top say, ' they want a letter from a faculty who has graded a course for us'. By that time it was already late since I had sent in my letters to AACOMAS much earlier. And the cherry on the top of this entire cake was - they added a note in the checklist after the letters were received that the 'course graded is not noted in the letter'. This is when I finally got the entire picture! It is completely OK if they want things that way, but it should have been explicitly stated beforehand since mentioning a course title and corresponding grade are not the usual thing most strong recommenders do, since they have lot more to add other than numbers. But anyways, we really cannot do anything about it...it is the system and we have to live with it! Not losing our sanity is the best thing we can do!

II!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Jk. im sorry, i couldnt resist. :banana:2 min went by and already like 4 posts. im sick i know

Sick? ......cough..... attention seeker spotted. Call in air support, target located.

Depending on how nasty someone gets they do put notes so people reviewing files can see it

This. During orientation of M1 they will explain how they use the application process to screen "skimmers" who don't follow directions effectively.

I have a conspiracy theory with PCOM. I think that they make the application process hard and annoying in order to weed out some of their 10,000 applicants. They don't help you whatsoever and if all of your application materials work out right, they review your app. If they lose your letters or don't register your MCAT you are just SOL.

This. During orientation of M1 they will explain how they use the application process to screen "skimmers" who don't follow directions effectively.

Hey I was sorta right!

Hey I was sorta right!

I wouldn't say it's "hard" per se, but I mean I can totally understand how they don't want to accept a student who didn't read instructions on their website. It's one thing to blatantly ignore policy and its another to have AACOMAS screw you over by an error on their end.

Any time I ever had an issue they were very helpful. But if you call and ask a question that can be answered by looking on their website, then yeah you deserve it lol.

do you know how many interviews they give out a week + how many people are invited each interview day?
I've seen people interviewing probably 3/4 days of the week with morning and afternoon groups. Probably 16 people per group. (I think).

Last edited:
Anyone have difficulties with the payment fee? I submitted my secondary and payment fee but I got a receipt stating that "Mathew ..... has successfully submitted the payment." I have no idea who the hell "Matthew" is.

Meh. Stressed-out secretaries really don't bother me considering I'm trying to get a top-notch education that will shape my future as a practicing physician. They have a lot of pressure on them to go through 10,000 applications, and their credentials are the only thing they need to impress us. Unlike PhD programs, they aren't wooing the applicant, we have to strive to make ourselves appealing and hope for the best.

Do they send you the supplemental app after you pay? Can't find it on the portal.

there's two different sites, check your email

Just checked in online today and they got my letters! :)

Also last year II's went out 9/5 so factoring in a week or 2 for the new AACOMAS things should be getting interesting soon!!!!

Kind of random but how are the rotation sites at PCOM?

this school hasnt gotten my letters but my other schools have...admissions said to resubmit them but idk how to do that :(