Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys. anyone got any updates about that "individual letters" vs. "committee letter" causing "incomplete application" problem? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys. anyone got any updates about that "individual letters" vs. "committee letter" causing "incomplete application" problem? Thanks!
Hey I submitted a committee letter and I haven't had any problems as of yet.

Just wanted to chime in... I just called their office to confirm that my application was complete and the person who answered the phone was SO friendly and receptive to my questions. She even apologized that they don't send out complete emails and that there's no "complete" field in the online portal. She also indicated that they're beginning to review applications now for interview invites and to keep an eye on your email because that's the way IIs will be communicated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to chime in... I just called their office to confirm that my application was complete and the person who answered the phone was SO friendly and receptive to my questions. She even apologized that they don't send out complete emails and that there's no "complete" field in the online portal. She also indicated that they're beginning to review applications now for interview invites and to keep an eye on your email because that's the way IIs will be communicated.
She then happily rejected you immediately afterwards for not following directions and calling up :p

But.....she verified that YOUR application was complete?? Good thing she didn't know your name

Reactions: 2 users
bravo sir. bravo.

She outlined that the portal is all that exists - the first column is present for all applicants and the dates are filled in as they receive/process them, as opposed to adding rows on.

Hey I submitted a committee letter and I haven't had any problems as of yet.
haha. my bad. I should have made it more clear. I know there is no problem with people who submitted the committee letter. It is the individual letters. They said on their portal that the committee letter requirement would be check off if three individual letters are submitted. They received all my three individual letters back in July, but I still got an incomplete email from them last week due to my letters. I emailed them, but still haven't heard back from them yet. So I just wanna check with you guys, and see if there is any updates:)

Stats/email?
LM=73. Yeah I got an email 20 minutes ago. I'm pumped but I'll have to call and reschedule it. They want me to interview in five days and I'm not even in the country. Hopefully there will be many more IIs very soon on this thread! Does anyone know what days of the week PCOM generally does interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
LM=73. Yeah I got an email 20 minutes ago. I'm pumped but I'll have to call and reschedule it. They want me to interview in five days and I'm not even in the country. Hopefully there will be many more IIs very soon on this thread!
damn, ill take that spot in 5 days for you :)

Reactions: 1 user

LM=73. Yeah I got an email 20 minutes ago. I'm pumped but I'll have to call and reschedule it. They want me to interview in five days and I'm not even in the country. Hopefully there will be many more IIs very soon on this thread! Does anyone know what days of the week PCOM generally does interviews?

were you early decision?? congrats!

That counts as IS?
Kind of, yes. The state of Delaware purchases a few seats at PCOM each year to ensure that some Delawareans get admitted, and the data shows that the relationship has resulted in much higher (i.e. IS-like) acceptance rates, higher than PA residents I believe.

Kind of random but how are the rotation sites at PCOM?

Rotation sites are very good, imo. You can elect to do either traditional rotations or what I believe we are calling "clinical health campus" or something like that (I'll find out next year when I go on rotation).

Traditional - very strong sites. To name a few, Albert Einstein, lankenau, geisenger, pcom, etc etc.

Clinical health campus - gives you the option to complete all of your rotations at one hospital. The idea is to get those programs to know you very well such that you'd be in better standing to land a residency there. Personally I'm considering this for one of our affiliates.

Of course for electives during 4th year you can go anywhere, and from what I've heard from upper class men and attendings, we do well clinically

Rotation sites are very good, imo. You can elect to do either traditional rotations or what I believe we are calling "clinical health campus" or something like that (I'll find out next year when I go on rotation).

Traditional - very strong sites. To name a few, Albert Einstein, lankenau, geisenger, pcom, etc etc.

Clinical health campus - gives you the option to complete all of your rotations at one hospital. The idea is to get those programs to know you very well such that you'd be in better standing to land a residency there. Personally I'm considering this for one of our affiliates.

Of course for electives during 4th year you can go anywhere, and from what I've heard from upper class men and attendings, we do well clinically
That's very reassuring, thank you! Do you know if they have an option to do international rotations? I'm interested in global health/peds and of course I know the peds might change once I'm in medical school, but I know for sure I want to do some kind of global health. I'm not too keen on the 1-2 week mission trips because I don't believe in that philosophy but I would really like to do rotations out of country if possible.

That's very reassuring, thank you! Do you know if they have an option to do international rotations? I'm interested in global health/peds and of course I know the peds might change once I'm in medical school, but I know for sure I want to do some kind of global health. I'm not too keen on the 1-2 week mission trips because I don't believe in that philosophy but I would really like to do rotations out of country if possible.
Tbh I'm not sure. This is a good question for admissions or on interview day. I think at the very least you'd be able to arrange it for your electives, but pcom would probably not pay for this. For core clinicals I'm inclined to say no, because they have a very strict process of having you graded by attendings who are renowned by PCOM. Not to take anything away from international docs, but pcom isn't able to explicitly interpret an A from those attendings and compare it to an attending they've already vetted

Do you need to send your MCAT scores to DO schools separately, or are they sent through AACOMAS? I don't see my scores on my portal so I went onto my MCAT score report and had them sent to PCOM, but they are still not showing up on my application summary. Did anyone else have any experience with their MCAT scores not showing up? I completed my application about 3 weeks ago.. just waiting on those scores.

Do you need to send your MCAT scores to DO schools separately, or are they sent through AACOMAS? I don't see my scores on my portal so I went onto my MCAT score report and had them sent to PCOM, but they are still not showing up on my application summary. Did anyone else have any experience with their MCAT scores not showing up? I completed my application about 3 weeks ago.. just waiting on those scores.
They're sent through AACOMAS. Send them to AACOMAS through the Thx portal, and they will be verified and populated to your application.

II this morning

Reactions: 1 users
Well...maybe us OOSers will get some love soon. Congrats MK!

For those that received the incomplete email a while back when they believed they had submit all proper LORs, I had my letter writers email admissions and state they submit a letter grade for my letters. I just checked my portal and it appears that all of my letters have names next to the dates. Just a heads up for those that received that odd incomplete email :)

I received the same and a week later without action and they were there.

II as well. The email says it was sent at 9:40 this morning but didn't receive it until now. Hopefully this means lots of other people will be getting invites soon!

Reactions: 1 users
II as well. The email says it was sent at 9:40 this morning but didn't receive it until now. Hopefully this means lots of other people will be getting invites soon!

***Mashes refresh button for 30 seconds***