Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did you guys get email notifications? @poloboy @festarz

Members don't see this ad.

Come on PCOM
whos coming with me.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any idea when those who interviewed 10/4 will find out??

show me some loooove PCOM! It's been over 2 months :oops:

Reactions: 4 users
Just interviewed here today. It was a great experience. Awesome school, fantastic facility, and everybody was super nice. Good luck to all those interviewing in the future!

Reactions: 2 users
Just interviewed here today. It was a great experience. Awesome school, fantastic facility, and everybody was super nice. Good luck to all those interviewing in the future!
That's great! Did they give you any information on # of students interviewed and accepted?

That's great! Did they give you any information on # of students interviewed and accepted?
They did not. One of the 2nd years we met said they are expected to receive around 10k apps and interview less than 1k though.

Reactions: 1 user
II!!!! SO excited! can't wait to see campus on the 14th! 504, cGPA 3.48, +MSc degree, complete mid July

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi all - I could use some advice. I interviewed here last week and am trying to send thank you emails but for some reason I stupidly forgot to ask my interviewers for their business cards, so I can't be sure I'm spelling one of their names correctly. I've tried to look extensively through the faculty list (I know he was a profess0r) and cannot find anyone in his department or in the faculty overall with a name similar to his. What would someone else do in this situation?

Hi all - I could use some advice. I interviewed here last week and am trying to send thank you emails but for some reason I stupidly forgot to ask my interviewers for their business cards, so I can't be sure I'm spelling one of their names correctly. I've tried to look extensively through the faculty list (I know he was a profess0r) and cannot find anyone in his department or in the faculty overall with a name similar to his. What would someone else do in this situation?
I did the same thing at a different school unfortunately and I ended up not sending one because I could not track one of my interviewers down. You could call the school and ask for their contact info. I was still accepted sans thank you letter, but I sure felt bad about not sending one.

Reactions: 1 users
I did the same thing at a different school unfortunately and I ended up not sending one because I could not track one of my interviewers down. You could call the school and ask for their contact info. I was still accepted sans thank you letter, but I sure felt bad about not sending one.
Im pretty sure they said not to email the interviewers but email the thank you letters to the admissions email ...someone correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty sure they said not to email the interviewers but email the thank you letters to the admissions email ...someone correct me if I'm wrong

I am not sure, at GA campus they gave their emails to the students and they responded to my emails but it may be different here.

I didn't say I was emailing the interviewers directly. I am under the impression that the thank you notes I email admissions will be forwarded to the appropriate individuals.

I paid before I completed my secondary.. Is this going to be a problem?

I paid before I completed my secondary.. Is this going to be a problem?

I don't think so, I think it's just more like a checklist thing since I remember the secondary essay being completely separate from the payment/summary page. You could always email them and ask though, they're very quick responding in my experience.

67.5 Lizzy M, no interview invite...time to start sending a letter of interest?

I was complete 7/28, im really interested in this school so not sure if I should send a letter

Did any of you have DO letters? I'm wondering if they send IIs in the beginning only to people with such LORs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

IS traditional applicant here, MCAT 506, 3.9 gpa, complete late july, a lot of experience, some research, great ECs. Show me some love PCOM.. I would love to go here. Should I send a letter of intent?

Yeah I had a DO letter too.....

We all got pretty numbers (not all, My LizzyM is around 60) we got letters ECs research... I dont thinks it's a matter of letter of intent. They are just taking their sweeet ass time and probably just came back from celebrating genocide day yesterday.

Could someone who has already interviewed describe the style? Is it a one-on-one? Will there be more than one interview? How long? Was is relaxed or stressful? Thanks!!

Could someone who has already interviewed describe the style? Is it a one-on-one? Will there be more than one interview? How long? Was is relaxed or stressful? Thanks!!

one on two or three, relaxed, between 15-45 minutes, only one interview

PCOM has processed my secondary but it says they received one of my mcat scores and does not my most recent one that I took.

I'm growing wrinkles like the pug in my avatar from obsessively checking my email. I've been complete since 8/29. Lizzy score 69. Also, this is my first post on SDN. Been a silent stalker for a while lol.

2011 PCOM grad. Good luck to all! Also, what's with the yuge MCAT scores? Used to be 15 for each section, 45 total. Confused.
Thanks for the encouragement!

There's a new MCAT since 2015 that has max scores of 132 per section, 528 total. Also it now has psychology/sociology and biochem sections.

Just some input for all those who are worried. It's still early in the cycle and I feel like a letter of intent may appear like begging them to interview you. I just interviewed here last week (LizzyM~63). It was a great experience and it's my top choice school. I have a few friends who go here and work with several docs who graduated from here. According to them, they interview late into the season so don't lose hope yet! One of the docs I work with also used to interview people at Dartmouth and he said that letters of intent sent before any communication from the school seemed desperate, but that's just one point of view. I'd just relax and be patient. I am fully aware that it's easier said than done, though, so hang in there! :)

I didn't know people actually sent LOI this early in the cycle...that seems nuts to me lol.

Does PCOM send out "Application Complete" emails?

I didn't know people actually sent LOI this early in the cycle...that seems nuts to me lol.
Definitely, schools know there is no way you intend to attend a school if you have not interviewed. If you receive a hold or wait list decision then maybe send an LOI but now it will just be ignored.

It doesn't hurt to email them! I had the same problem and they confirmed my recent scores

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I emailed them regarding the same thing and they told me that they consider all MCAT scores, they just put one date of the exam in the portal as a place holder to complete the application.

II! 64.5 Lizzy M! Complete Sept. 16.

Interview advice anyone? Really nervous as its my first! Good luck to the rest!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
My two cents on the interview for those who care-- there are some baseline questions from which follow up questions/conversations are intended to flow. It's a good idea but still felt a bit forced in my opinion because it's not 1 on 1, although I also understand why it isn't 1 on 1.

We were also misinformed before the interview that we wouldn't be allowed to ask any questions of the interviewers. So don't be stupid like me. I usually start coming up with a bunch of questions to ask throughout the tour, which I didn't bother to do because I didn't think I'd have an opportunity to ask! I had everything answered by the medical students as they showed us around instead.

Anyway, awesome school. Seems like an awesome program. Would be thrilled to have a favorable response here!

Are you alluding to ethics questions or just regular questions during the interview?