Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there anything super specific this school looks for? I've been complete since July and I've heard crickets while people with lower stats are getting interviews. Like just wondering if they "really" like research or something because this is unfair

Members don't see this ad.

Is there anything super specific this school looks for? I've been complete since July and I've heard crickets while people with lower stats are getting interviews. Like just wondering if they "really" like research or something because this is unfair
They look at your entire profile. Grades are only a part of it. From my understanding, they want someone with lots of experience and knows what they're getting into. Research would definitely help to have but I highly doubt it would be a deciding factor. I wouldn't get too worked up yet, give it some time.

I'm in the same boat

Members don't see this ad :)
When is this school going to start giving some IIs? Anyone complete mid-September or later with an II?

When is this school going to start giving some IIs? Anyone complete mid-September or later with an II?
My last date for material received was September 16, so I guess I was complete that day. Interviewed last week. But give it time, they told us they interview up until march and even then there's quite a few seats left.

My last date for material received was September 16, so I guess I was complete that day. Interviewed last week. But give it time, they told us they interview up until march and even then there's quite a few seats left.

I was also complete 9/16 :/ Mind telling me if my stats (in my sig) are comparable to yours because I want to see if I have a chance at PCOM

Interviews have been going on, my friend interviews as part of the student representation and they are interviews 4 or 5 days a week.

I was also complete 9/16 :/ Mind telling me if my stats (in my sig) are comparable to yours because I want to see if I have a chance at PCOM
You have a bit higher GPA but my MCAT is a few points higher. As long as you have good ECs and LOR, you should be good to go. I wouldn't be concerned of them skipping over you. They probably will continue to consider you as the cycle progresses.

Did anyone who interviewed recently get a letter that their application is on "hold?"

Did anyone who interviewed recently get a letter that their application is on "hold?"

If you don't mind me asking, when did you get this letter/when did you interview?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think I lost hope...this is stupid my mcat is right at PCOM's average and my gpa is a lot higher than their avg.

Thanks, I was starting to lose hope. Complete 9/16, really want to go to PCOM...maybe an II will come in someday :(
I think I lost hope...this is stupid my mcat is right at PCOM's average and my gpa is a lot higher than there avg.
Have patience people, don't forget PCOM gets about 10k applications/cycle, I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Also, PCOM doesn't just look at grades, it's more holistic, just putting that out there.

Wow this school has a HUGE racial bias. The class of 2015 has 179 whites, 24 blacks, and ONLY 14 ASIANS. ARE U KIDDING ME???? Asians by in large have higher stats than blacks and equal or more than whites. Screw this holistic process PC crap.

Wow this school has a HUGE racial bias. The class of 2015 has 179 whites, 24 blacks, and ONLY 14 ASIANS. ARE U KIDDING ME???? Asians by in large have higher stats than blacks and equal or more than whites. Screw this holistic process PC crap.
I can see why your account is on probation. stats are great but anyone can get high stats if they spend a lot of time studying. How much volunteering/research/patient interaction/jobs/shadowing are all factors.

Reactions: 3 users
Lol trust me buddy I have all of that. It is just frustrating that because of affirmative action I and other non-underrepresented minorities are put at a massive disadvantage just because of our racial background. I wish the system was based more on merit.

Lol trust me buddy I have all of that. It is just frustrating that because of affirmative action I and other non-underrepresented minorities are put at a massive disadvantage just because of our racial background. I wish the system was based more on merit.

PCOM truly uses a holistic approach to evaluate their applicants. My interview group was mostly Asian, and the student body seemed for sure diverse when I was there!

submitted secondary in sept still waiting to hear something :sick:

Are you from Philadelphia or PA? Just for reference, it looks like PA is ~80% white, ~10% black, and ~3% asian. Similarly, Philadelphia is 45% white, 45% black, 7% asian. So my question to you is, if you aren't from Philadelphia or PA, couldn't the metrics just correlate to who has applied from their region of interest and is most likely to become a physician in those areas?

Or you can say they are discriminating against you...

(Spoken from someone who also would like an II from PCOM, but has had silence since August.)

Last edited:

I think this kind of entitlement is dangerous.

I'm ORM and I think the ability to take other factors into consideration, such as the population and region served as a physician after med school, is intensely important. med school admissions is tough no matter how you look at it, don't fall into the self-righteous abyss of thinking the process is unfair. it will just make you stressed/bitter.

Reactions: 4 users
I think this kind of entitlement is dangerous.

I'm ORM and I think the ability to take other factors into consideration, such as the population and region served as a physician after med school, is intensely important. med school admissions is tough no matter how you look at it, don't fall into the self-righteous abyss of thinking the process is unfair. it will just make you stressed/bitter.

I see you're 6 for 6 on interviews! Wanna enlighten us on how to crush the interview?

Easy to say when you have 6 acceptances.......

And the process is unfair: http://www.aei.org/publication/acce...-affirmative-discrimination-blacks-hispanics/
I applied to 24 schools last year with stats slightly above yours (I believe). White, mediocre GPA (below average), strong MCAT. Didn't get one interview last year. Re-applied this year and am up to 6 II's. Note: I'm still white, male, and my GPA went up maybe 0.05. There is a lot that goes into this process. Change what you can, but wasting time blaming 'the system' won't make you any more successful.

Reactions: 2 users
Of course not, but I hate it when people try to deny that the system doesn't put people that aren't URM at a huge disadvantage because IT DOES

and it looks like this school does more than others.

Came here to complaint about how I have not heard anything since 8/1.
I am considering applying to GA but not sure if it's too late for that.

Got entertained by the denial of privilege though. Medicine is such a privileged profession. I cannot even.

Reactions: 1 users
I think I lost hope...this is stupid my mcat is right at PCOM's average and my gpa is a lot higher than their avg.

Lol, please relax (coming from someone who has heard nothing for almost three months)

Reactions: 5 users
This is so sad. You really came here to say that your entire race is better than black people and equal or better than whites?! Like you really just did that. Systematic racism is real and your people were never enslaved by this country and continue to be discriminated against to this day from education, to jobs, to housing, and beyond. Moreover, sympathy for fellow human beings regardless of race is a huge part of being a doctor. A HUGE part. And the ability to understand and accept cultural differences without hate or discrimination is paramount. If you fail to see that simple fact then I am scared of what type of physician you will become in the future if you do become a doctor. That is the truly sad and scary part.

SDN can you please intervene on this type of racist and non-productive content?

Reactions: 7 users
I got an interview XD after 2.5 months of waiting. Anyone have any tips or hints at possible questions?

Reactions: 3 users
I got an interview XD after 2.5 months of waiting. Anyone have any tips or hints at possible questions?
Be cool, calm and collected. It's not too daunting. Don't go in nervous and shy, try and be outgoing and friendly. The interview is laid back and they ask things from your application with follow-ups based on your responses. Overall, just be yourself and friendly.

Be cool, calm and collected. It's not too daunting. Don't go in nervous and shy, try and be outgoing and friendly. The interview is laid back and they ask things from your application with follow-ups based on your responses. Overall, just be yourself and friendly.

Thank you!

MY VERY FIRST II JUST NOW!!!!!! I am ecstatic! PCOM is a top choice for me!!!

Reactions: 15 users
When were you complete?
I had thought I was complete at the end of July, and then in September I realized I never had my official MCAT scores sent to AACOMAS, so I think technically my complete date was 9/26

wish PCOM would show me some love :( with an II