Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anybody ever gained an acceptance without a DO letter of rec?

Members don't see this ad.

Just quoted that passage and said that if I had read their requirements I would know that they clearly state that they want letters from basic science profs. I told them it's pretty much impossible for me to track down my basic science profs from 10 years ago and they replied again saying "Our requirements clearly state...". It was actually really frustrating and surprising because other schools had been really helpful and easy to work with. I would definitely reach out to them to get your own answer. I may have just been dealing with someone who was having a bad day.
Nope this is par for the course dealing with PCOM. Try emailing them. I'm still waiting for responses to my 3 emails even though they said they'd respond in 30 days. Their mindset is that they have so many applicants that if a few people cant' fulfill the requirements they might as well reject them rather than deal with exceptions.

Easily the worst admissions office of DO schools

Secondary received 7/26/16 1946PST and submitted/paid for 07/27/16 0900PST. Good luck all!

hey velodork, when you clicked the submit button for the secondary, did it take you to a confirmation page or anything? I can't remember for the life of me, but @Facetime94 and I were having a discussion about this and we're both sliiiightly paranoid. thanks in advance. :nailbiting:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would actually like to know the answer to this. What if we are working on a letter but won't have it until sometime in September??

hey velodork, when you clicked the submit button for the secondary, did it take you to a confirmation page or anything? I can't remember for the life of me, but @Facetime94 and I were having a discussion about this and we're both sliiiightly paranoid. thanks in advance. :nailbiting:
I truly dont remember but Im not too worried about it. You DO have to log back in with the credentials they provide to pay the fee. I definitely got a confirmation page/receipt when that was done.

Reactions: 1 user
I truly dont remember but Im not too worried about it. You DO have to log back in with the credentials they provide to pay the fee. I definitely got a confirmation page/receipt when that was done.

thanks! yup I remember the confirmation of payment, just don't remember the endpage for submission. ah well, will keep an eye on the portal and see.

Has anyone cruised last years thread to see when they start sending out interview invites?

So if I have a letter from a Biology Lab professor and an Evolutionary Biology professor as my science letters, will these not "count"? I did too poorly in physics to get a letter from one of those professors and I never really got to know my Intro bio, chem, and orgo profs....

Does this school have secondary essays? I cant find them... Anyone mind helping me out?

Does this school have secondary essays? I cant find them... Anyone mind helping me out?
Yes it does! It is kind of confusing since the link to pay is separate from the secondary link. At the bottom-ish of the email there is a supplemental application link. The secondary essays are there!

Reactions: 2 users
Yes it does! It is kind of confusing since the link to pay is separate from the secondary link. At the bottom-ish of the email there is a supplemental application link. The secondary essays are there!

Would you be able to post the secondary essays and the character limit so I have them while I wait for a secondary invite? Please and thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be able to post the secondary essays and the character limit so I have them while I wait for a secondary invite? Please and thank you!

* Noting the missions and objectives of the Osteopathic profession and PCOM, please describe your personal characteristics that demonstrate your interest in this field. Include an example of an event in which your actions directly influenced the life of another person and relate this to your goal of becoming a DO. (250 words)

I just got verified today so I wonder how long it will be before I get their secondary :confused:

Nope this is par for the course dealing with PCOM. Try emailing them. I'm still waiting for responses to my 3 emails even though they said they'd respond in 30 days. Their mindset is that they have so many applicants that if a few people cant' fulfill the requirements they might as well reject them rather than deal with exceptions.

Easily the worst admissions office of DO schools

Funny you say that because that's definitely the impression that I got, though I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. Popular opinion on here says that it's a red flag if a school's admissions team is rude or unresponsive so given that that is not an uncommon occurrence with this school I'm not sure why it still enjoys such a good rep when there are lots of other good schools out there to compare it to.

Submitted! I wonder how strict they are about the 250 word limit -- I went like 6 words over so i'm hoping it's still ok-- the question is pretty difficult to succinctly answer in 250 words.

Funny you say that because that's definitely the impression that I got, though I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. Popular opinion on here says that it's a red flag if a school's admissions team is rude or unresponsive so given that that is not an uncommon occurrence with this school I'm not sure why it still enjoys such a good rep when there are lots of other good schools out there to compare it to.
I had a pretty good experience with their admissions office when I spoke to them over the phone! I guess I was an outlier.

Submitted! I wonder how strict they are about the 250 word limit -- I went like 6 words over so i'm hoping it's still ok-- the question is pretty difficult to succinctly answer in 250 words.

I didn't go over but I definitely felt the same way and that my response was kind of inadequate because of the limit! If someone can adequately tell a good story, relate it back to the schools mission, and the characteristics they exemplify in 250 words you're a word wizard in my book!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I agree, the word limit is for this type of question is really difficult

I didn't go over but I definitely felt the same way and that my response was kind of inadequate because of the limit! If someone can adequately tell a good story, relate it back to the schools mission, and the characteristics they exemplify in 250 words you're a word wizard in my book!

Well if you submitted you must have felt confident about your message you gave

Have faith

Well if you submitted you must have felt confident about your message you gave

Have faith

Haha that is true, I felt confident in my response for the parameters. PCOM obviously understands the amount of elaboration they'll received with their question, no need for me to worry

Submitted!
I am applying without a DO letter. I have 2 MD letters though. Will keep you posted when I get my acceptance :cool:

Well, I am screwed from two sides:

1) I have only 2 faculty letters (not 3).
2) My MCAT date is January 2014 (outside of "within 3 years of matriculation").

Should I still submit and hope for the best?

I think their requirements call for 3 faculty letters OR a pre-health adviser. Sounds like if you have a college adviser, they'll satisfy the requirement completely. Right?? :shrug:

Submitted!

I am applying without a DO letter. I have 2 MD letters though. Will keep you posted when I get my acceptance :cool:

I think their requirements call for 3 faculty letters OR a pre-health adviser. Sounds like if you have a college adviser, they'll satisfy the requirement completely. Right?? :shrug:

Just to clarify: just the presence of an advisor or and advisor LOR will NOT fulfill this requirement. You must either have 3 basic science faculty letter or a pre-medical committee letter.

Just to clarify: just the presence of an advisor or and advisor LOR will NOT fulfill this requirement. You must either have 3 basic science faculty letter or a pre-medical committee letter.

It's not 3 basic science faculty letters, you only need 2/3 faculty letters to be basic science.
  • Three faculty letters of recommendation: Two of those three letters must be from BASIC SCIENCE professors (undergraduate, post-baccalaureate or graduate programs). Please note that the faculty letters must be from a professor that issued a grade in a course that appears on the applicant's institutional transcript. The course number and title must be noted in the letter

I didn't receive a confirmation email either. they specifically state that they don't give status updates over the phone or email and to just check the portal though, so I'm just going to keep an eye on the portal.

Secondary received 7/26/16 1946PST and submitted/paid for 07/27/16 0900PST. Good luck all!

So the consensus is that nobody who submitted received an email saying you submitted the secondary? After I hit submit, it took me to the pcom admission page. Anyone else have this happen?

Secondly, the only confirmation of payment was the review "print this for records" screen after you hit the submit on payment right? I didn't receive a payment email update either, unlike other schools which do.

So the consensus is that nobody who submitted received an email saying you submitted the secondary? After I hit submit, it took me to the pcom admission page. Anyone else have this happen?

Secondly, the only confirmation of payment was the review "print this for records" screen after you hit the submit on payment right? I didn't receive a payment email update either, unlike other schools which do.

same for the payment page, but I really can't remember what page it took me to after submitting the secondary. but didn't get a confirmation email for either.

How strict are they on their letter requirement? I have two science letters and a D.O. letter. Will they just toss my app out without the 3rd faculty letter?
Yes, you need all the letters if you want to be complete

Secondary here too. PCOM seems to be really strict on their LORs. I had emailed them to see if they would let me submit grad school science and work letters in place of the undergrad science letters since I am a nontrad out of undergrad about 10 years and they said no way. Now I'm debating if I should just submit anyway and hope that they like the rest of my app enough to let it slide. I can't say for sure about the course number requirement for the letters, my guess would be no, but you should contact them just in case. Let us know if you hear anything.
Grad school science would be OK but work letters will not complete you. You can use grad, post grad etc etc but you must have what they ask for or you are done

Well, I am screwed from two sides:

1) I have only 2 faculty letters (not 3).
2) My MCAT date is January 2014 (outside of "within 3 years of matriculation").

Should I still submit and hope for the best?
Nope

Every school has its requirements, if you can't meet them don't apply. They get over 10,000 apps just for Phila so why would they want to deal with those who can not meet the requirement? It is on their website and after you send in an application you want to skirt it. Just because they don't give you the answer you want doesn't make them rude it makes them frustrated when everything they want is on the website and also in the email you get. I have dealt with the office alot and they are strict but they have to be to get all the programs they have done and in for their committee to check.

Alright, I can't let this go yet so here's my defense of the single LOR from an academic advisor.

The first paragraph states "letter" of recommendation from a pre-health or academic advisor. Singular: Advisor. "Note, this is the preferred letter." Then you can all see the big OR, which applies to people who don't have an advisor, they can submit 3 prof letters.

If it comes to it, and my letter doesn't show up on the portal, I will call.

upload_2016-7-28_9-16-39.png

I know some students have in the past but in the interview they can ask you if you shadowed a DO and/or why weren't you able & then you would have to explain that plus why you are interested in osteopathic medicine. It's just better to have DO letter b/c that's something they prefer and look for.

Alright, I can't let this go yet so here's my defense of the single LOR from an academic advisor.

The first paragraph states "letter" of recommendation from a pre-health or academic advisor. Singular: Advisor. "Note, this is the preferred letter." Then you can all see the big OR, which applies to people who don't have an advisor, they can submit 3 prof letters.

If it comes to it, and my letter doesn't show up on the portal, I will call.

View attachment 206994

Doesn't hurt to try but trust me they are very strict about the letter comittee or three letters

Just a heads up on the letters based on my experience and others this past cycle - when it comes to letters being on letterhead or mentioning the course name - they are strict about this; they won't accept letters that don't have this. So make sure your professor letters are on letterhead and mention the course name. Last cycle i had to resubmit a letter b/c it wasn't on letterhead.

Second, with regards to letter requirements - they want either a pre-committee or 4 individual letters (2 from science courses - either undergrad, grad, or post-bac), the 3rd from any course (science or non-science) and the 4th from DO or MD (but DO preferred). They are also cool with you submitting other letters from supervisors, employers etc. in addition to the required ones.

If you submit your letters like above - then you should be fine and not have any problems.

Hope this is helpful for everyone applying :)

Last edited:
Is anyones secondary essay showing up as received in their checklist portal? Everything including the payment is on listed as received besides my secondary, I'm assuming it probably just takes some time but part of me feels like i did something wrong with the secondary.

Is anyones secondary essay showing up as received in their checklist portal? Everything including the payment is on listed as received besides my secondary, I'm assuming it probably just takes some time but part of me feels like i did something wrong with the secondary.
I paid and submitted the secondary last night, and nothing is showing up except for MCAT date.

Reactions: 1 users
All my stuff has been marked received except my secondary app so I think it just takes time!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How are we supposed to write this essay in 250 words?

All my stuff has been marked received except my secondary app so I think it just takes time!
Same here... and yes, one of my letters is showing as "Not on official letterhead- please resubmit" so it looks like theyll be pretty strict on this front!

I would actually like to know the answer to this. What if we are working on a letter but won't have it until sometime in September??
You don't need a DO letter. Definitely want to have at least shadowed a DO, though

Secondary application processed

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

So I it says for me that the payment has been received yesterday but that the supplemental application and LOR haven't been received. Did you get an email update or just see it on the portal?