Philadelphia programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wants to get a thread going on Philly programs and how they all compare in terms of quality of education, ranking, resident happiness, fellowship etc.

UPenn, jefferson, temple, pennsylvania hospital, einstein, drexel? Anyone? :)

Members don't see this ad.

hmm im wondering where pennsylvania hospital and albert einstein fit in?

Members don't see this ad :)
really?? so temple and drexel better than pennsylvania hospital?? isnt affiliated w penn?

I would say:

UPenn >>> Jefferson = Temple > Drexel > Pennsylvania Hosp. > Einstein

I only put pennsylvania hospital and einstein last because those are more community hospitals associated with universities and Drexel is at least a university hospital (though Drexel has been plagued with so many issues over the last few years and their accreditation/financial situation may be at risk).

I have not seen too much on these threads about Jefferson...what have people heard about their IM residency and chance of obtaining fellowships coming out of there?

Jeff is a great program, diamond in the rough.
- Ranking: definitely not Penn, but in my opinion Jeff>>Temple (location, location...)
-Location: Jeff beats all others including penn- Jeff is in the heart of center city philly, steps away from arguably the best nightlife in the city, cityhall and high end shopping- many med students and residents from other schools/hospitals live around jeff.
-Education/academics: nothing stands out here- has tracks: educator, generalist...
-Residents: got the feeling that the majority of the interns were single and ready to mingle. Large program but camaraderie between house-staff is impressive. Interestingly, many of the senior house-staff were married with kids (commuting from the suburbs). Overall happy bunch of residents.
-Workload: intern year is rough- interns cap at 14 but program seems very front-loaded. Has EMR.
-Facilities: hospital going through major renovations- new micu, cafeteria...
-Ancillary: Nurses have magnet status.
-Pts: nice mix of urban, surburban, jersey.
-Fellowship: Cards- 6-9/yr most at jeff, temple, drexel or comparable institutions
GI-6-7/yr most at jeff, very strong program
Heme-onc- 1-3/yr, cornell, hopkins
Pulm/CC- 1-4/yr, penn, UVa, Temple

Bottom Line: great program, ranking it highly:D

----

JEFFERSON:

Can anyone (current residents or people who recently interviewed there) give their opinion on the place?

My impression from interview day is that they present to you a lot of the positives of the program (obviously) but the glaring negatives seemed to get shoved under the rug and not really explained in detail.:

1) They have 14 patient cap per intern (Have not seen anything close to that on other interviews - 10 seems to be the norm)

2) Many private attendings, up to 3-4 attendings that your team's patients fall under... (makes me question the teaching environment on rounds)

I didn't get a good sense of how those factors effect the residents. Does it make for a poor learning experience? Any comments appreciated!

hey guys, glad i noticed this thread

i have been trying to find out info on pennsylvania hospital in terms of placement rates for fellowships. I have read pretty good things about the IM program on here and scutwork, but cant seem to info on fellowship placement anywhere. Anyone here have any info? or know where to find it? I emailed them but have not heard back.

hey guys, glad i noticed this thread

i have been trying to find out info on pennsylvania hospital in terms of placement rates for fellowships. I have read pretty good things about the IM program on here and scutwork, but cant seem to info on fellowship placement anywhere. Anyone here have any info? or know where to find it? I emailed them but have not heard back.

On your profile it stills says pre-medical.

yes I guess I have not updated my account, I am a third year at pcom.....is it ok to ask now? lol