Philly Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blackcat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have insight to the philly programs? Specifically temple v MCPH (Drexel) v Jefferson.
Drexel and Jefferson seemed really nice and friendly, any locals know which is a stronger program and why? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Temple is a strong program...they've got great leadership in their PD, and associate and assistant PD, a high acuity, underserved population, lots of penetrating trauma, and lots of expertise in EMS.

You should also consider Cooper Hospital (UMDNJ), right over the bridge in Camden, New Jersey. They've got a fantastic Program Director, Associate PD, and Chief, great morale/atmosphere, and one of the best ultrasound programs in the country.
Also check out Christiana Care, an hour south of Philly in Newark, Delaware. They've got a great clinical experience (the ED docs there do everything you could imagine) and incredible facilities.

thanks emdoc.
i will be interviewing at cooper in january and i will give it a real look.
did not apply to christiana, probably should've since everyone is really big on it around here.
opinions on mcph and jefferson?

Members don't see this ad :)
Jefferson is located right in the middle of Center City, Philadelphia.
It's an ideal location for living (lots of residents live in apartments a block away), but is somewhat limited location for pathology, as it's in an affluent, safe area and surrounded by other hospitals.
The facilities aren't anything special. Few off-service rotations, but the unit months are pretty rough. The Program Director calls it "the kinder, gentler" program and the residents seem pretty happy.

I didn't apply to MCP (Drexel). They were always known as a top Philly program, but I've heard they've lost a lot of good faculty as a result of the hospital's financial woes.

I went to med school at Temple. Gotta say the Temple program is very strong. It sees a vast array of pathology (I treated tertiary syphilis as a med student) and tons of trauma. Bob McNamara has been the chair for three years now and he is a nationally well known (if polarizing) figure. In addition to being a past president of AAEM he is a great clinical teacher (remember he was the PD at MCP/H for many years). The rest of the faculty is great as well. All are great teachers and fun to work with, particularly Rich Harrigan, JJ Ufberg and Mag Botros.
I also want to say a good word about the Einstein program in north Philly. I rotated there and I found them to be a very good program as well. It?s a four year program that began as a DO program but is a dual DO/MD program now. Either of these programs will give anyone an excellent education in inner city EM.
BTW you can live in center city Philly and use the subway to get to either hospital. It?s pretty easy. I did it for four years.
docB

Let me put in a shout-out about Jefferson. Great interview- really decent people and a nice program. The new residency director is extremely enthusiastic and is very open to resident suggestions. Jefferson is known as a super clinician training site. They have a big affiliations network in Philadelphia. Plus, it's in the best part of town, and the residents all live nearby in apartments that are MUCH less expensive than anything you'd find in New York. The other programs in Philly (maybe except U Penn) have most residents commuting to the hospital.

Has anyone got any info about Allegheny in Pittsburgh? Any thoughts from people who've rotated or worked/are working there?