Phone calls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Silly question: awhile back, someone from my home program mentioned that we should feel free to ask faculty to make post-interview phone calls on our behalf. Am I correct in assuming that this should only be done for #1's? What about attempts to get somebody off a waitlist (assuming that they got a legit invitation, but just didn't respond to the email in time to get a slot? This happened to me...excuuuuse me for taking a shower! Lol.) I want #2 and 3 to love me as much as possible, just in case, but don't want my faculty to expend reputation capital unnecessarily when they all know I'm ranking my home program #1. This might seem obvious, but in this game, I'd hate to make any untrue assumptions about the usual etiquette.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Let your faculty know the score and your desired order, and they can decide if they want to place a call on your behalf given the circumstances. But yeah they'll look pretty bad if they call on your behalf, the place ranks you to match, and you rank other places first.

Threads like this appear every year. Although it's an n=1, calls like this have little effect on my list. I rank people in the order I want them.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks. So, like so many things, it obviously varies by program. Now, if only I could have my faculty call...themselves? Each other? Sigh.

As far as waitlist motion: I am waitlisted due to responding too late, as I said above. It's a bit awkward since I vaguely know this PD, but I'm not that crazy about the program- the main draw is the location. I feel bad emailing him to see if there's anything to be done, even though I think he might be expecting it. Would it be terrible to inquire about some finagling to make the interview happen, knowing full well that the program is #3 at best?

Last edited:
I think a phone call might work to get you out from the wait list to having an interview. I even think if you do it by yourself it is ok. It is already late in the season and even though programs may have open slots in the coming few days, I don't think they will bother contacting new people, I am sure they have enough applicants to ranks. As far as for ranking, I don't think it will make any difference, they have your application, they met you in person, and they will rank you based on their observation.

If you are very flexible (can interview Tuesday with notice on Monday no problem), then emailing the PD/PC certainly won't hurt at this point. They may have a few dates left with open slots that it doesn't seem like they will fill at this point. Letting them know that you are flexible may allow you to secure an interview.

I got 2 interviews this month by calling the programs and letting them know I can be there the next day if need be. They tested me at one place. Emailed me Wed and had dinner with residents Thursday night and interviewed on Friday.

Got to hustle.........play the game or let it play you. Word.

Reactions: 2 users