Phoropter Fingers

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if any practicing ODs or students are having fingertip pain from using the phoropter. I have been in practice for over a year and this just started. It has been driving me crazy for the last 4 months and I was just wondering if anyone else had these symptoms.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a weird ailment to me. I'm an ophthalmic tech and do a lot of refracting myself and this has never crossed my mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I was wondering if any practicing ODs or students are having fingertip pain from using the phoropter. I have been in practice for over a year and this just started. It has been driving me crazy for the last 4 months and I was just wondering if anyone else had these symptoms.

How many refractions do you do per day? Do you use the pads of your fingers or the tips?

How many refractions do you do per day? Do you use the pads of your fingers or the tips?
I see about 20 patients/day. I tend to use both pads and tips, but I tried to pay attention today and was using tips often. Thank you for responding.

I see about 20 patients/day. I tend to use both pads and tips, but I tried to pay attention today and was using tips often. Thank you for responding.

I think you should try avoiding the fingertips completely. If you use the pads of your fingers, you're spreading the pressure out over a larger surface area. If you use the tips of your fingers, there is going to be a much higher force/area exerted on the tissue.

If that doesn't help - save up for an automated lane!