Photo

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

B-wildered

Long live snug seal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of schools are asking for a photo and I am wondering if I should keep it professional- shirt/tie/jacket or more casual like a dress-shirt without a tie?
I am leaning to the super- professional

Edit: Just talked to my friend who is a doctor and he told me to keep professional because the school may want to see how I would look as Doctor/Professional

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Obviously keep it professional. Wear a tie. You can wear shorts or really, nothing at all, since usually they just want a headshot.

Do not wear a white coat and stethoscope. This is very gunnerish and presumptive. Stick with your interview suit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dress shirt + tie would be standard, but nobody is going to take note if you drop the tie. I'd say 60% won't notice if you were wearing a t-shirt. 20% won't notice if you aren't wearing a shirt.

In short: dress shirt +/- tie is fine. Well trimmed facial hair + hair cut and smiling.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a photo I'm using from a formal dinner (paid photographer), academic style bowtie on etc.

Don't really see a need to go get a set of photos done for this...

I have a photo I'm using from a formal dinner (paid photographer), academic style bowtie on etc.

Don't really see a need to go get a set of photos done for this...

There absolutely isn't. I just had our grad student (who is a "photographer") take some shots outside. Some magic in Lightroom for about 5 minutes and voila--that was my picture!

don't crop from a picture with weird background. Keep it plain and simple

I just uploaded a picture of my brother. He is better looking than I.

Reactions: 14 users
Don't know why I didn't throw on a blazer, but is it the end of the world if I just did a headshot in my yard with an oxford button-down on? It's a nice shirt, but I'm worried it's not professional enough....

Don't know why I didn't throw on a blazer, but is it the end of the world if I just did a headshot in my yard with an oxford button-down on? It's a nice shirt, but I'm worried it's not professional enough....

I can't imagine that would be an issue. As long as it's professional you're fine. It's for identification purposes anyway.

There are way more important things to stress over than this! :)

Yeah my first couple I submitted wearing a polo shirt but the rest I put on a shirt and tie. Don't think it matters though.

My friend who is a professional photographer just took a nice pic for me. I decide to wear shirt/tie/blazer, just to be safe. I really think that they shouldn't ask for photos pre-II. I think that all humans, wanting or not, at some level, subconsciously judge someone by their looks. I believe that photos should be requested only post-II to keep "fairer". Ohh weelllll , this is just my opinion :) ..........

My friend who is a professional photographer just took a nice pic for me. I decide to wear shirt/tie/blazer, just to be safe. I really think that they shouldn't ask for photos pre-II. I think that all humans, wanting or not, at some level, subconsciously judge someone by their looks. I believe that photos should be requested only post-II to keep "fairer". Ohh weelllll , this is just my opinion :) ..........

IIRC Cornell asks post-II.

Reactions: 1 user

Some med schools give off an impression like they select their students based on the looks.

I guess I need to make more time for exercise as part of my med school preparation.

Some med schools give off an impression like they select their students based on the looks.

That would explain my success this past cycle :flame:

Be sure to wear a smile. Professional does not mean stern or emotionless.

Submit a headshot. A full body photo of yourself in Machu Pichu is not what we are looking for here.

Find a friend. Don't submit a selfie.

A neutral background is ideal but a relatively plain background outdoors such as hedges or a plain fence is fine.

Get some contrast between your skin tone and the background. Do a slight photo-edit to adjust the lighting if necessary.

I've never cared what applicants wear in the photo but many will not look kindly on those wearing white lab coats or strapless dresses.

Reactions: 2 users
Wear a tie and a shirt, and wear a natural smile. Just go to your local Walmart. Pay them 7 dollars, get two passport photos.

You are done

I wore a dress shirt (no tie) and took my photo against a white background (passport photo type). Some schools will use your photo on your badge that you are given on interview day.