Physical stress/anxiety management ideas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gsquared

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been somewhat worried about finding the right school/life arrangements to go along with this. I've taken to doing active things to take my mind off these concerns. My best ideas thus far:

Early morning powerlifting
Hot Yoga PRN (and it is needed often, sometimes 2/3 times a day)
Long runs to work out negative emotions (typically around 10 at a relatively fast pace)
Food is also pretty central to my life right now.

I'd welcome constructive thoughts. I'd happily incorporate your suggestions, and I'd love to bounce ideas back and forth.

Members don't see this ad.

a weekly drink does the trick for me, usually beer or wine. Also sex is the best way to release stress besides working out.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm more of a what will happen will happen type person, not that I don't like to plan, but, like undergrad, there is no such thing as a perfect school so I'm keeping my expectations as real as possible, I'll apply where I am ok living for 4 years and let the chips fall as they may. Probably not too helpful for you, but try not to think about this as much. December is a long way away yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Find you a fun sized gal to take the stress out on... Have you tried swimming laps? Get some waterproof headphones and a case for your phone and swim some slow laps for about an hour... You get a full body stretch/workout and time to think to yourself underwater..

Reactions: 1 users
Food, sex or self-gratification..., booze, social media/forum, music, etc.

Since your time is limited, eat food and drink with one hand and browse social media with the other on your phone while having sex and jamming to "we are the champion".

Reactions: 3 users
I watch people play the newest video games on Youtube because I'm broke. All my money goes towards study material and food lol
Btw, Arkham Knight is awesome!

Meditation!! It really helps! Type mindfulness meditation into YouTube and try a 10 min one to start. Great complement to yoga/stretching

agreed--I need to make more time for that Sugarmagnolia

Golf! It can be pretty expensive and time consuming as a student but if you find some cheap courses and ever have time its a great stress reliever. Just turn your phone off and enjoy the nature!

Biking.

It's free.
It's social.
It's exercise. Lots of dopamine release.
It's in nature.
It oxygenates you very well.
You can explore new trails.

Pick up fly fishing. Seriously nothing more relaxing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been somewhat worried about finding the right school/life arrangements to go along with this. I've taken to doing active things to take my mind off these concerns. My best ideas thus far:

Early morning powerlifting
Hot Yoga PRN (and it is needed often, sometimes 2/3 times a day)
Long runs to work out negative emotions (typically around 10 at a relatively fast pace)
Food is also pretty central to my life right now.

I'd welcome constructive thoughts. I'd happily incorporate your suggestions, and I'd love to bounce ideas back and forth.

Napping

Taking a drive around town

Shower

Reading the news

Crying (jk)

Going to the liquor store ( again jk)

:)

These are some of the things I do when under some negative emotions...,,

I hate to agree with that guy but.. Napping 100%. I love naps. I just woke up and I'm already contemplating taking a nap. :p

I hate to agree with that guy but.. Napping 100%. I love naps. I just woke up and I'm already contemplating taking a nap. :p

I agree with you

Reactions: 2 users
Playing some Minecraft always works too. Turn that frown upside down by playing in the virtual sandbox xD.

Cardio definitely makes me feel more relaxed and centered afterwards
feacdb0e2a0ff7c33f79c0f38580e345.jpg

Today my new Spanish teacher said she's gonna spend the first 10 mins of each class on meditation.

I sat there for 10 minutes feeling like a fool...

I took a 10 week pottery class at a local art museum. I had never done pottery on a wheel before, and although it wasn't easy at times, it was very soothing. I miss it so much, and I hope I can pick it up again after I get through the first two years of d-school. If not pottery, maybe some other type of art like drawing or creative writing/poetry? Intense exercise (HIIT) and massages also help me. Waiting to hear back about interviews/acceptances sucks though, I'd say it was one of the most stressed times I've had in my life.

Today my new Spanish teacher said she's gonna spend the first 10 mins of each class on meditation.

I sat there for 10 minutes feeling like a fool...
Lol

Wow

These professors now a days are so laid back....

Ahorra respira por la nariz ......

Buy a fly rod, find a river, catch some fish. Most peaceful and relaxing thing in the world. Just soak it all in.

tooth knockin'--breaths for the nose?

Thanks for the clarification--I know a bit of conversational Spanish, but I've always struggled a bit with the formal grammatical rules

I feel like I am more stressed during the dead of winter than during fall of spring. Reason being because most of my ways of coping with stress in my free time involve outside activities (except working out.) I love freshwater fishing. Hard to do that when its 20 degrees outside...

wildzodiac-- you clearly are not from MN or WI; we love ice fishing. Ice fishing is pretty great.

Thanks for the clarification--I know a bit of conversational Spanish, but I've always struggled a bit with the formal grammatical rules

I work in a Spanish speaking community.

Respira por su nariz, y ciera su boca, hablador, apprende espanol ! Coño