Physical Therapy Aide for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mhv21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm a sophomore in college and I'm hoping to go to medical school in the future. I've been looking around for a part-time job for quite a while and an opportunity came up to work as a physical therapist aide. I feel like this job is more geared towards pre-PT students and was wondering if I should take this job as a pre-med student or just pass? Would it hurt/help me in any way? I feel like it would count as clinical/patient care experience, but... I'm not sure if it's a good idea as a pre-med student.

Long story short: Should I take the job or pass it and continue looking?

Members don't see this ad.

It still counts as a clinical experience. I had some experience in a PT clinic as well but it was only for a summer. I'm applying to schools now and I think it's definitely helped me if anything.

Hi guys,
I'm a sophomore in college and I'm hoping to go to medical school in the future. I've been looking around for a part-time job for quite a while and an opportunity came up to work as a physical therapist aide. I feel like this job is more geared towards pre-PT students and was wondering if I should take this job as a pre-med student or just pass? Would it hurt/help me in any way? I feel like it would count as clinical/patient care experience, but... I'm not sure if it's a good idea as a pre-med student.

Long story short: Should I take the job or pass it and continue looking?
Depends. Will being an aide give you opportunities to interact with patients in a helpful way? Have the clients been sick or injured and need help recovering? Is the therapy given ordered by clinicians? If yes, then this job can be a good source of active patient experience. It certainly will not hurt your application.

Or are you aiding the PT by filing notes, cleaning the equipment, and making the coffee. In which case, keep looking.

Last edited:
Do it...
It's clinical experience. Before you know it - you will be running around trying to rack up enough meaningful experience to put in those check boxes