Physical Therapy School: GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AZ123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All. I was wondering if anyone can tell me how much does the GRE count towards my acceptance to Physical therapy school? I've been hearing so many different things that some schools look at it a lot and some don't even care. What do you guys know about this? I am from the NY area.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd also like to know the answer to this, along with oooone more question. Is the essay just as important as the Quantitative and Verbal section? I was very very good at writing under pressure.

We don't require the GRE at my school (and I wish more schools would hop on the bandwagon), but from most clinicians that I've talked to, the GRE is more of a "weed out" requirement. So long as you meet the minimum score set forth by the school (usually around 1000?) then you've proven yourself. If the school doesn't have a minimum score requirement, that means usually you can "save yourself" by your GPA/references/experience. This is just the general outlook I've heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Personally I think any standardized test isn't an accurate measure of your academic performance or problem-solving skills. It just measures how well you take the GRE. (There are people who regard it as a life-or-death measure but most of the ones I've seen are going into computer science or engineering.) However a high score could be positively interpreted as having good independent-study skills or working efficiently under a deadline (eg. writing). Plus if your scores are stellar (I have no idea what would be considered stellar or not) that's going to stick out to the adcoms.

One of the schools said that they look at the math score more so than the verbal. Which makes sense because PT is basically physics.

To the first two posters-- have you taken yours yet?

I have not taken the GRE yet but plan to next month. the verbal is the main killer for me. i definitely agree that it does not accurately measure your academic skills.

A good publication is Word Smart for the GRE; it gives you the words most frequently included on exams and the context in which they are used. It helped a ton!