Physical Therapy school; which is the easiest to get into????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astizzy1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a biology major with a low gpa 2.7 and interested into going to physical therapy school. Ive been searching the internet forever for a list of all physical therapy schools and admissions requirements but have gotten no luck. Could anyone help me into tracking down the easiest (admission wise) physical therapy schools to be admitted into??? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that information exists...

most PT schools are competitive...what is your science GPA and GRE score? I had the same problem when I applied back in 2000. My science GPA was a 3.67 but my overall GPA was a 3.05 (engineer major for 2 years killed my overall GPA) and I scored a 1970 on my GRE's (that is when they still had the analytical section)...I got interviews and each one required me to explain my GPA which helped me b/c I had a ton of volunteer work and worked full-time as well, so you can maybe improve your chances with a killer GRE score and a lot of volunteer/shadowing work...otherwise, I would retake courses to improve you GPA...

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe you should look at a different profession or get better grades. Asking "what is the easiest school to get into?" is like saying "what is the cheapest car?" You get what you pay for. if there is a chinese restaraunt that is never full, and you don't need reservations, and the parking lot is always empty, how do you think the food is?

If there is no waiting list and the PT school will accept anyone, or has lower standards than others, then perhaps the better students aren't seeking that school. OR the location of the school is dubious (Marquette is/was in a pretty tough neighborhood) Bottom line is there are reasons the school has lower standards.

so no one can help me with any lower standard physical therapy schools? or any ideas?

so no one can help me with any lower standard physical therapy schools? or any ideas?

Get your grades up as high as you can and apply. You wont' get much productive advice to the contrary. If your grades are that bad, consider an associates degree and become a PTA.

Hi, I am a biology major with a low gpa 2.7 and interested into going to physical therapy school. Ive been searching the internet forever for a list of all physical therapy schools and admissions requirements but have gotten no luck. Could anyone help me into tracking down the easiest (admission wise) physical therapy schools to be admitted into??? Any help would be greatly appreciated..

there are many things to consider when applying to pt schools... in your case interview processing what be the determining factor in your acceptance to a school. These guys who replied aren't helping much. Keep up the hard work, everybody makes mistakes, just get better grades in the future

I looked back at my post to see if I missed a hidden meaning. Nope. The only chance of getting into a PT school worth attending is to get your grades up OR consider a similar/ancillary profession. We all had to do it and overcame some obstacles to get there. You can do it by raising your standards instead of looking for others to lower theirs. Good luck and I mean that.

If you only made it by with a 2.7 for your biology major what makes you think that you will maintain at least a 3.0 for graduate course required in most if not all P.T. programs.

some of my freinds who had really low stats were accepted at AT still in Arizona and St Augustine, the whole thing seems kinda weird because I've heard that both of those schools are very good as far as reputation and education go.

i dunno, just my two cents

If you only made it by with a 2.7 for your biology major what makes you think that you will maintain at least a 3.0 for graduate course required in most if not all P.T. programs.

blast7, having a 2.7 as an undergrad doesn't mean you will do worse in grad school. Of course, you have a better chance that you won't do well, but if he/she gets motivated enough and studies hard, I believe that astizzy1 can handle the coursework. It's all about dedication and hard work.

Reactions: 1 user
some of my freinds who had really low stats were accepted at AT still in Arizona and St Augustine, the whole thing seems kinda weird because I've heard that both of those schools are very good as far as reputation and education go.

i dunno, just my two cents

If you are/were a FB player in college, it is really difficult to maintain a high GPA so that may have been taken into consideration when your friends applied. 2.7 GPA while essentially holding a full time job that you don't get paid for (D I or II football) plus regular in-season travel is something to be proud of.

I have a pretty low cow pre-req gpa. I'm still applying wherever I want to go regardless of requirements because you really just never know who is going to accept you. My friend applied to 14 schools and only got accepted into 2 and one of them was Wash U which has the #2 program in the nation. I went through a lot of traumatic events during undergrad and my gpa suffered as a result. The best you can do is hope that the schools you want to go to will look at you as a whole person and not just a transcript. Those are the schools that are worth going to anyway. Basing a person off of just a piece of paper is inadequate, in my opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP-

Go to PTCAS.org --- they have almost ALL schools listed on there with all the requirements spelled out. You just have to research.

It bothers me that you want us to do the work for you. If you want PT so badly, get out there and start lookin'!

you guys realize this thread was from 2007, right?

but totally agree with your second statement about some of the posts on here - I understand some confusion (especially with the experiences I've had with PTCAS customer service) but some of the questions on here are clearly stated in the PTCAS instructions

well i know this post is old but i'm in the same boat, i have 3.09 in my undergrad studies and i am nervous about getting into physical therapy school. my GRE score was not the best but i have over 800 of observation hrs and work as a pt tech in a pediatric cline. I have applied to four schools and crossing my fingers somebody accepts me! do you guys think i have a good chance.

Apply to Mount Saint Mary's...someone on this board got accepted with a 2.8 GPA overall and 3.0 pre req GPA. I found it under the PT acceptance stats thread.

There should be a "Success Stories" thread for people with cumulative and pre-requisite GPAs below a 3.0 who still got into PT school. Its not something to be encouraged (I wouldn't tell students to strive for a 2.6 GPA), but it would be something to help a student so that they don't loose hope. Is there a thread like this in existence already? Does anyone know?

Reactions: 1 user
There should be a "Success Stories" thread for people with cumulative and pre-requisite GPAs below a 3.0 who still got into PT school. Its not something to be encouraged (I wouldn't tell students to strive for a 2.6 GPA), but it would be something to help a student so that they don't loose hope. Is there a thread like this in existence already? Does anyone know?

I know not too long ago one had surfaced and it was something like "Low GPA? Me too!"

I'll see if I can find it.

edit: found it: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=779839&referrerid=300209

I think someone should start a success story thread, though :)

Hi. I just created this account and am very excited to share and receive some feedback about schools!

So, I have the same problem, my GPA is low not so competitive at all but I really want to be a PT well to be a PT i need to go to a PT school! I've stressed about my life for my entire high school and college career. I'm about to graduate with a degree in Kinesiology (very very excited) but you know i'm not so confident in my GPA my transcript overall to present it to PT school. I'm taking a year off and I really want to do LOTS of work towards me being more knowledgeable and more confident in myself that I can contribute to any PT schools. Cuz the reason they accept you is to make that school shine be a better PT schools cuz STUDENTS are what makes the school so GOOD! There is no easy school to get into..sorry to break it to you all who think that way. I used to think that way, trust me! But I realized after countless days and times I've stressed and cried over my pathetic GPA and bawling my eyes out to my peers about this whole thing...it's all about how much you put into this thing. how much you REALLY want it! If that shows to PT schools you're applying to dude they're gonna get interested. I know I only have couple of months left of school b4 I graduate (scary) and a year (seems long but really short) but I'm willing to put myself out there because I want to get what I want! so go get what you want! Tell yourself if you really want this! there is no easy way out! Everyone has to try. For me personally, I believe in God so I'm sure He knows what he's doing and hey if He doesn't think I shouldn't be PT or that's not what He has planned He'll def open another door for me. I KNOW that if I don't make into something hey it's telling me something..maybe there's another road...LIFE IS NOT JUST ABOUT ONE WAY. You'll be fine just put yourself into it..If you succeed, GOOD for you! if you don't at least you know how to be productive and know the basics of going for the gold! BE POSITIVe and you can do whatever you put your mind to it!

Good Luck!

Hi. I just created this account and am very excited to share and receive some feedback about schools!

So, I have the same problem, my GPA is low not so competitive at all but I really want to be a PT well to be a PT i need to go to a PT school! I've stressed about my life for my entire high school and college career. I'm about to graduate with a degree in Kinesiology (very very excited) but you know i'm not so confident in my GPA my transcript overall to present it to PT school. I'm taking a year off and I really want to do LOTS of work towards me being more knowledgeable and more confident in myself that I can contribute to any PT schools. Cuz the reason they accept you is to make that school shine be a better PT schools cuz STUDENTS are what makes the school so GOOD! There is no easy school to get into..sorry to break it to you all who think that way. I used to think that way, trust me! But I realized after countless days and times I've stressed and cried over my pathetic GPA and bawling my eyes out to my peers about this whole thing...it's all about how much you put into this thing. how much you REALLY want it! If that shows to PT schools you're applying to dude they're gonna get interested. I know I only have couple of months left of school b4 I graduate (scary) and a year (seems long but really short) but I'm willing to put myself out there because I want to get what I want! so go get what you want! Tell yourself if you really want this! there is no easy way out! Everyone has to try. For me personally, I believe in God so I'm sure He knows what he's doing and hey if He doesn't think I shouldn't be PT or that's not what He has planned He'll def open another door for me. I KNOW that if I don't make into something hey it's telling me something..maybe there's another road...LIFE IS NOT JUST ABOUT ONE WAY. You'll be fine just put yourself into it..If you succeed, GOOD for you! if you don't at least you know how to be productive and know the basics of going for the gold! BE POSITIVe and you can do whatever you put your mind to it!

Good Luck!

Belief in God, is not going to get you into PT school. It takes hard work to get there. I also believe in God, but did not expect to get into PT school because of that belief. I have a 3.8 GPA and scored over 1100 on the GRE. Many schools will not even look at you if you have less than a 3.0 GPA, the GRE depends on the school. I also think that the Kinesiology undergrad will help, but if you graduate with a low GPA, that will not help you, and if you graduate with some of those lower grades, they will always be on your transcript. Some schools look at how many times you took a class as well, UTMB is one. I was lucky and did not ever have to retake a class. I have had to work hard for every A I made. I returned to school after a LONG break with a 2.4 GPA on academic warning, worked hard to turn it around, and am graduating in 5 weeks with honors. Also if your letter of interest/introduction was filled with the slang terminology that your post here is, you may want to have someone in another generation read your interest/introduction letter before you send it in. BTW I am not implying that my grammar is all that great, I had multiple proof readers for my letter of interest as a result.

Hey guys thanks so much for all your posts, I've learned so much! I'm an Exercise Science major with a a minor in Psychology. I'll be applying for PT schools this Fall.
Overall GPA: 3.59
Pre-Req GPA: 3.26

I'm still currently taking one last science pre-req (physics II) and will be taking the GRE this summer.

I have over 100 hours of shadowing mostly at inpatient clinics but also with a home health PT and at a rehabilitation clinic within a hospital. I'm looking to get more inpatient hours this summer, as well.

I'm getting really nervous about applying to PT schools soon, especially because of my GPA.. Do I have a chance of getting in????? Words of wisdom would be much appreciated. I've known I've wanted to be a PT since I was a junior in high school and have been so passionate about it for five years since. Now that it's so close I'm so nervous!!

Thanks!

It seems some of the more expensive private schools are easier to get into. Even ones that are very well respected.
For instance, USC says on their APTA weblisting:

"In the past year, 296 persons applied, and from that number 95 students were enrolled."
http://apps.apta.org/Custom/wstemplate.cfm?cfml=accreditedschools/Index.cfm&cfmltitle=Accredited PT and PTA Programs&section=&process=2&ProgramID=E96608E2%2DF302%2D4C64%2D8F6B%2D6DB4BCFC78FD
That's 32% of applicants that eventually ENROLLED. So, the number of applicants who were accepted must be considerably higher than that.

For Washington University, on APTA, they say:
"75% of qualified applicants are admitted to the program (3-year average)."
http://apps.apta.org/Custom/wstemplate.cfm?cfml=accreditedschools/Index.cfm&cfmltitle=Accredited PT and PTA Programs&section=&process=2&ProgramID=ED303BFB%2DECF5%2D4645%2DA06A%2DDCD023EB2AA2

I remember seeing Northwestern's profile on that same site showing an acceptance rate of 40% or so, but that information is no longer there. But on PTCAS they list their average GRE score as 1066 which is very average.
http://www.ptcas.org/Northwestern.html

Obviously, if your stats aren't great, do what you can to maximize your application.
But also, do some research on apta.org and ptcas.org and school websites.
Some schools have very high cut-offs for GPA and GRE scores, and accept a low percentage of applicants.
But, some really, really good programs seem to be accepting a high percentage of applicants. And as evidenced by the GPA/GRE forum on here, some applicants with average stats are getting into these really, really good programs.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Hmmm, only 296 applicants from USC. That's pretty low.

USC has fewer applicants because of the cost of tuition. Great school but I have read that the tuition is exorbitant bedee bedee ba outrageous be dee be deee ba really high.

Hey guys,

I know exactly how you all feel about your credentials and other criteria you have in preparation to applying to PT school. I am getting ready to graduate from the University of Kentucky and there are a few things to let you know. I entered PT school with a 3.59 overall GPA and a 3.7 science GPA. Although my overall GPA when I transferred to a university in undergrad was really 3.8 when I began taking prereqs and performing coursework in the athletic training program. Don't worry about your credentials too much although they are important. Here is what else you should look for: a school that has good faculty, gross anatomy lab/professor, neuroanatomy professor, and interview. So, before you apply, visit the campus and meet the faculty.

Now, before you sell yourself to PT school, think about other HCPs. Such as: PA, AT, and others. As you can see my name, I have been regretting not going to med school. Still not sure if I made the right decision. PT is a good career, don't get me wrong. Just do the research and shadow various HCPs to assure this the route you want to take. PT schools are all almost DPT programs which means 3 full years! If you take loans, remember they are for 3 years and your salary won't compensate very well (ESPECIALLY IN PRIVATE SCHOOLS). I am not trying to deter any of you, I just want to let you know what your thought process should be.

Being an athletic trainer did give me an advantage over others in our ortho classes. Hope this helps...