Physical Therapy vs Occupational Therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ragger33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
If I'm interested in working with paraplegic people, which field should I go-into? Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy? Basically, I'm also done with my business degree, and I volunteered to help-out a teenage paraplegic this year-- and I absolutely fell in love with the guy and helping him out. I'm thinking about switching future careers, but I don't really know so much about either Physical Therapy or Occupational Therapy. As of now, I help him get dressed a little in the morning (by putting-on his pants and shoes) and at night after he takes a shower, help him get set-up in his bed to get ready to go to sleep, and carry him on and off the bus when traveling. Which field should I be more interested in? What kind of activities would a Physical Therapist do with a paraplegic, and what kind of activities would a Occupational Therapist do with a paraplegic? Thanks for the direction guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Simply stated PT's focus more on strengthening, range of motion, improving balance, etc. OT's focus more on life's daily tasks-- getting breakfast, dressing, grocery shopping, etc.

I once heard - PT's fix 'em up and OT's fine tune 'em.