Physically visiting the admissions office

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AA|FCB|DOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am currently trying to push for a late interview. I was wondering if it's a good idea to visit the admissions office in person and try to express my interest. I am just looking for any desperate last push. If anyone has done this and been successful, please share. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am currently trying to push for a late interview. I was wondering if it's a good idea to visit the admissions office in person and try to express my interest. I am just looking for any desperate last push. If anyone has done this and been successful, please share. Thanks

Please don't do this. It is seen as bad form.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Hi all,

Absolutely do not do this.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would come off as unbelievably desperate and would make for quite the uncomfortable 15 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Only do it if you bring donuts for everyone. Adcoms love donuts.

We made fun of them after they left. Do not enter hospital premises unless invited in advance, general rule of thumb for all interviews now and in residency.

Reactions: 5 users
Creeeeepy. Just show up at the dean's house unannounced but w donuts. The office staff don't really have much say, anyhow.

You have been ignored by someone you are interested in on Match.com, you should show up at her house unannounced to prove your love.

Reactions: 12 users
Depends on how intimidating you are in person.

If you have to ask this, that's why you didn't get an interview. I remember during one of my interviews, I was waiting in the office and someone walked in demanding to be considered for an interview (showed up in his suit ready to go). It was awkward.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have to ask this, that's why you didn't get an interview. I remember during one of my interviews, I was waiting in the office and someone walked in demanding to be considered for an interview (showed up in his suit ready to go). It was awkward.
Haha omg I would love to have seen that. I would cringe but it would be hilarious.

Reactions: 1 users

Do you know how the convo went?

I remember I was in the administrative office waiting for something, maybe to be picked up by an interviewer or for my coat. I look up and this guy is all dressed up, but definitely wasn't in our interview group.

He brought his application or resume with him and handed it to the secretary/coordinator and said "I was hoping to get reconsidered. I love X school and would really love a chance to interview and explain myself in person." He was a polite guy, if I were to do something as unorthodox as that, that's how I would do it. It was just awkward because she was like "yeah...thanks...uhhhh...could you give me a moment?" Then, she went in the back to probably discuss it with the other people and we were left sitting awkwardly near each other for obvious reasons. I left with him still waiting there, told him "good luck." I do not recommend this tactic, regardless of the outcome.

Reactions: 5 users
out of curiosity, has anyone ever done that at your school before? what'd you guys do to him/her?

I remember I was in the administrative office waiting for something, maybe to be picked up by an interviewer or for my coat. I look up and this guy is all dressed up, but definitely wasn't in our interview group.

He brought his application or resume with him and handed it to the secretary/coordinator and said "I was hoping to get reconsidered. I love X school and would really love a chance to interview and explain myself in person." He was a polite guy, if I were to do something as unorthodox as that, that's how I would do it. It was just awkward because she was like "yeah...thanks...uhhhh...could you give me a moment?" Then, she went in the back to probably discuss it with the other people and we were left sitting awkwardly near each other for obvious reasons. I left with him still waiting there, told him "good luck." I do not recommend this tactic, regardless of the outcome.

Half way through an interview day last year we noticed that there was an extra "applicant" as we prepared for the tour.
When identified as an interloper, she said about the same thing. Since she left without incident we didn't have to call security.

Reactions: 9 users
It won't be seen as ambitious or brave.

You'll just be viewed as someone with a poor grasp of boundaries.

Reactions: 2 users
Creeeeepy. Just show up at the dean's house unannounced but w donuts. The office staff don't really have much say, anyhow.
I once showed up at the admissions office unannounced to withdraw my application (I was driving by, and not really sure how to withdraw via normal means). The office staff was utterly useless. They said I had to send them an email instead. At least they let me walk around the counter to their computer and let me log into my gmail so I could send them an email withdrawing my application (this was before ubiquitous smartphones).

It was an uncomfortable 15 minutes for everybody involved.

On a similar note:
What about visiting an admissions office in person at a school that snail mails decisions to receive your decision? (I ask this somewhat jokingly)

Took 3 months post-interview for status update to reach a decision at a rolling admissions school. Status update early morning last monday, still nothing in the mail (over a week!). I live <30min from the school........ I don't need Paul Revere to deliver the message, standard USPS would be fine - they get mail delivered in 2-3 business days!

I don't actually plan on doing anything but waiting, but c'mon now. I feel like a canadian on a kidney transplant list.

i think the answer is overwhelmingly no.

I won't say that I'd recommend this tactic. As everyone has said, this most likely will come off as utterly unprofessional and painfully awkward. Having said that, there is a miniscule chance that such audacity may be interpreted positively. It reminds me a little of "The Office", where Dwight, knowing he wasn't really being considered, shows up to the interview for manager as a burned up war veteran all bandaged up so as to conceal his identity. If one truly is that desperate with no other interviews/options, the awkwardness, in my opinion, pales in comparison to the utility of a potential positive outcome. There are inefficiencies and back doors in every market. Though I would never do this, I recognize that, in a utilitarian perspective, it is not irrational so long as it is executed tactfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This might be a good moment to point out that medical school admissions offices deal with more disgruntled customers than Target on an average day.
Threats, veiled and direct are not uncommon.
This tends to make everyone a a little edgy when uninvited guests appear.

Reactions: 6 users
If you're already accepted somewhere else, it's close to finishing interview invite season, and you have an excuse to show up (as opposed to flat out wanting an interview), why not?

Show up w a scalpel to show what an awesome surgeon you'll be!

Reactions: 10 users
This might be a good moment to point out that medical school admissions offices deal with more disgruntled customers than Target on an average day.
Threats, veiled and direct are not uncommon.
This tends to make everyone a a little edgy when uninvited guests appear.

Threats? What kind of threats? Like death threats or "I will get you fired!" Kind??

Threats? What kind of threats? Like death threats or "I will get you fired!" Kind??
People who are loud and angry on the phone and have a local address are threat enough.
Comments like " now I understand the Colorado theater killer's feelings" (or fill in the blank mass murderer) happen every year.

People who are loud and angry on the phone and have a local address are threat enough.
Comments like " now I understand the Colorado theater killer's feelings" (or fill in the blank mass murderer) happen every year.

What!?!?! You guys report that, right? That is so scary! I would be terrified. That is completely unprofessional.

I wonder if people who are academic superstars (3.8+, 35+) show up confused and demand an answer as to why they were rejected…

Medical school admissions is a crapshoot. I think everyone going into the process should have some understanding of that.

That is insane, but I'm not surprised. Desperation and rejection do bad things to a person's psyche.

Please do not show up at an MD admissions office without an appointment. Even if you have already visited the school as an interviewee, do not consider that an open invitation to show up in person to drop off an update, deliver thank you notes, ask a post-interview question, etc. There is zero benefit to showing up “in person.” It may be viewed as aggressive, and definitely will be viewed as not recognizing/respecting boundaries.

Is there somewhere you can report that to make sure that person never becomes a physician?

:wow:
What the hell is wrong with people..

Even reading this makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Reactions: 3 users
And some applicants wonder why programs are hesitant to publish their interview dates online...
Given that any of us could be the one who seeks wild-eyed revenge, I am gradually coming to understand why admissions offices are so reluctant to share any information with premeds that they don't have to.

As always, the few scary/bizarre/delusional ones among us make things worse for everyone.

Really good way to get your app flushed down the toilet.

You applied... they know you're interested.

Hi all,

That's pretty insane.

What the heck is wrong with people?

Also, yeah, I hope you report these people to the general admissions network so they never end up being a physician.

Hi all,

Do not do that. That's sooo creepy

If you're charismatic enough to pull this off, it would have come across in your LORs and personal statements and you probably would have gotten an interview anyway.

I hope everyone knows I am just being teh sarcastic. But given the original premise of this thread, i thought it would be wise to clarify that here...

I hope everyone knows I am just being teh sarcastic. But given the original premise of this thread, i thought it would be wise to clarify that here...

too late...! somebody somewhere showed up with a corpse as proof of how skilled they are at dissections

Reactions: 4 users
What!?!?! You guys report that, right? That is so scary! I would be terrified. That is completely unprofessional.

That's pretty insane.

What the heck is wrong with people?

Also, yeah, I hope you report these people to the general admissions network so they never end up being a physician.

Applicants who make credible threats of violence are reported to AMCAS (in addition to local authorities!).
Other schools to which the applicant has applied are notified.

Reactions: 8 users
This thread has been surprisingly entertaining. Thanks for the question, OP. I needed this in my life today.

I wish I knew half the stories admissions departments have of these nut jobs who act a fool. Feel free to share more haha

Applicants who make credible threats of violence are reported to AMCAS (in addition to local authorities!).
Other schools to which the applicant has applied are notified.
Ahahaha, so did the cops drag them out of there? Did they have any last words before they left?

I just don't understand what goes through a person's mind to make them think it would be acceptable behavior.

It's like - let's show a complete lack of ability to respect boundaries, that will convince them I should be a doctor for sure!

Desperate people exhibit abnormal behavior. I'm not condoning this type of behavior but I understand it. I'm sure the majority of applicants who physically visit the admissions office (whether to beg for an interview or to provide an update or to let the admissions staff know how much they want to attend the school) don't do it because they're "creepy" or a social misfit.

They genuinely believe that they have nothing to lose. It's getting to the end of the cycle and there's only a few interview dates left. Maybe, just maybe, the admissions committee will like my chutzpah for showing up dressed in a suit during a interview day and they may just let me talk to an interviewer for a few minutes. They know their chances of everything working out as planned is very low but they still want to try. Crazier things have happened in life than an applicant being accepted in this way.

Still, I can understand why it would be frustrating and scary to the admissions office when unexpected applicants show up.

Last edited:
I think it's creepy behavior. They probably don't have the self awareness to realize it's creepy tho.