Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Physician Assistant to MD

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by Dr.iz-n, 02.10.07.

1. Dr.iz-n

Dr.iz-n Member

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Hi,
    I am going back and forth with the idea of becoming a physician assistant, but I am still always perplexed about following my dream of becoming a doctor. I like both fields, and I may be starting a physician assistant program soon, but have their ever been any instances where someone started a physician assistant program, and then applied and transferred to become an MD (i.e., transferred to a MD program?)

2. BellyDancingDoc

BellyDancingDoc Rump Shaker

Pre-Medical
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Hey Dr.iz-n,

While I'm sure that there have been many instances where someone who was already done with their PA was accepted into an MD program, you will not find many (or perhaps any!) instances in which someone "transfers" after starting the PA program. Failure to complete any degree-granting program is generally considered a big no-no, and could well get you chucked out of the interview pile. Also, many schools actually require you to show proof of completion of any program in which you were enrlled during the interview season before matriculation into medical school...

Bottom line: if you want to be a PA, then be a PA. If you want to be an MD, be an MD. If you're not sure what you want, don't start either until you decide. But don't drop out halfway through a PA program and assume that you'll get into an MD school.

3. spicedmanna

spicedmanna In Memory of Riley Jane Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If you mean to ask about direct transfer between a PA program (a Master's level degree) and a MD program (a professional doctorate degree), then I don't know of any cases. They are not equivalent degrees; direct transfer doesn't seem possible.

I agree with BellyDancingDoc's bottom-line.

4. Vox Animo

Vox Animo Runs with Scissors

Medical Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    There is a student in my school who worked as a PA then decided to pursue a medical degree. He is doing very well.

I would not plan on being able to transfer though, most programs don't allow that, or the classes would probably not transfer.
    You could complete the pa program, then apply to medical school, but you are throwing away alot of time and money.

I'd suggest pick one or the other, and if you aren't satisfied with the pa route, go medical. From you post, it sounds like you rather pursue the medical route.

5. Wizard of Oz

Wizard of Oz Guest

Medical Student
    Time for a wonderful Wizard analogy...

Also see the thread that the quote came from to find some former PA's who are in med school.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal