Physician in Triage as a Full-Time Gig?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would any ED that does physician-in-triage hire an EM-residency trained physician to be a full-time dedicated physician-in-triage?

Ever heard of this?

I know most EM folks would rip their hair out doing this, but just wondering...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
No.

Almost no one would enjoy this - a career of triage...

2 docs in my group do majority triage... i have my opinions about why, they are not exactly positive... but, i hate doing triage, so have at it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would any ED that does physician-in-triage hire an EM-residency trained physician to be a full-time dedicated physician-in-triage?

Ever heard of this?

I know most EM folks would rip their hair out doing this, but just wondering...

Physician Insourcing

This brilliant in a way, actually. Think about this. More and more in Medicine, the physician role is being devalued with more and more physician roles being taken by non-physicians. CRNAs want to encroach on Anesthesia territory, PAs and NPs are taking over more shifts in EDs and replacing some EP man-hours, nurses are getting PhD/doctorates and calling themselves "Doctor," and even a nurse has taken over the Surgeon General position, in the Army. Ultimately, it's always about money, and wanting to move up in rank and capture the resultant greater salary.

So what we have here, is physicians, taking over the role of a (triage) nurse and not taking a nurse salary, but doing it for a physician salary. I know the doctor will argue that he's "doing much more" than a triage nurse would do, and will claim he's worth every extra penny by expediting work-ups and increasing through-put. Whether those numbers play out or not, I'm not sure but you still have:

A doctor, taking over a role previously assigned to nursing and getting 4-5 times the salary for it.

The trend today involves outsourcing roles for cheaper labor, whereas this actually an example of INSOURCING of labor and convincing management that a job previously done for much cheaper MUST be done for 3-4 times the cost! How long this will last, I'm not sure, but frankly I think,

It's brilliant.

Last edited:
Physician-in-triage as in see patients, order initial labs/imaging to brew while they wait for a bed, and treat the easy ones? I've heard of places with similar shifts. I imagine most would be willing to pay someone to work them full-time the same way they hire nocturnists...

Physician-in-triage as in see patients, order initial labs/imaging to brew while they wait for a bed, and treat the easy ones? I've heard of places with similar shifts. I imagine most would be willing to pay someone to work them full-time the same way they hire nocturnists...

yes, at a significant cost to said group...

Ive done this and believe me, it's not as easy as it sounds. The only places that utilize physician in triage are places that 1) have poor systems that cannot handle their current volume or 2) they are short staffed because it is such a miserable place to work at, or often, both. On a quiet day, I used to easily see 5 pts/hr on top of triaging everything that walks through the door. In fact, doctors would prefer to be in "the back" because the workup was already started, the volume would be manageable, and you already have a second opinion built in to every pt you see. Also, the flow of the ED depends heavily on the triage physician and more pressure than normal EM is not something you want to make a career out of.