Physicians Abandon Insurance for 'Blue Collar' Concierge Model

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AtlasMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for sharing!! I firmly believe this is the future of primary care! I will be training and working with the Army for the start of my career but if I ever decide to leave the military system this is how I want to practice medicine!

Thanks for your support and feel free to contact us direct anytime if you have questions. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
So how long before this is illegal?

Reactions: 1 user
Dr Umbehr,

I love reading about this (new) model. The prices seem very reasonable for a high-level of care. For the solo practitioner adopting this model, how much would typical start up costs be if doing this from scratch (e.g. right out of residency)?

Thanks for your support. There is no standard start up costs required. You can do this on a budget. It just depends on location, used vs new equipment, branding development etc.

Please feel free to contact me directly anytime and I'm happy to answer those questions in more detail.

Thanks! Like one older doc said to me, DPC is medicine they way they promised him it would be. Powerful.

So happy for you!!! Funny how you guys practice medicine the way it should be (the way academics bloviate about how it should be practiced, but not how it's actually practiced). You and the patient and no middleman. Awesome!

Reactions: 1 users
I love the concept of direct pay primary care, and the examples I've read about so far. The success of such practices is like a lit cigarette in the eye of the insurance industry.

My question for the group is whether or not the ACA health exchanges have high deductible options available for people who would like to join a direct pay practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love the concept of direct pay primary care, and the examples I've read about so far. The success of such practices is like a lit cigarette in the eye of the insurance industry.

My question for the group is whether or not the ACA health exchanges have high deductible options available for people who would like to join a direct pay practice.
ACA plans are almost nothing but high deductible plans in many states. Here in SC, the lowest deductible plan that I, a 30 year old, could find was $1800 with a 6k out of pocket max.

ACA plans are almost nothing but high deductible plans in many states. Here in SC, the lowest deductible plan that I, a 30 year old, could find was $1800 with a 6k out of pocket max.

Maybe your state has changed your perspective but I have never viewed $1800 as a high deductible plan. I had a $5k deductible for years in my early 20s

Maybe your state has changed your perspective but I have never viewed $1800 as a high deductible plan. I had a $5k deductible for years in my early 20s
Pre-ACA, I've had 5 different insurance plans, deductibles ranged from 400-750. And I hardly think that SC is health insurance Mecca.

Pre-ACA, I've had 5 different insurance plans, deductibles ranged from 400-750. And I hardly think that SC is health insurance Mecca.

Then florida must be horrible, or my jobs must have been......maybe that's just another reason I'm switching careers haha

How easy is it to begin a DPC practice in a rural area?