Physicians in the Pharmaceutical Industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vaderize

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

It's been awhile since I've been here but I would like to see if anybody has had any experience with the big names in the pharmaceutical industry.

What I am looking for, specifically are three things:

1) What do physicians do in a pharmaceutical company?

2) How does one get involved with them? Does an MBA help, or are you better off going into consulting?

3) What are the financial opportunities like (ie better or worse than hospitalist/primary care practice)

If anybody has had any experience in the industry and can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Howdy all,

It's been awhile since I've been here but I would like to see if anybody has had any experience with the big names in the pharmaceutical industry.

What I am looking for, specifically are three things:

1) What do physicians do in a pharmaceutical company?

2) How does one get involved with them? Does an MBA help, or are you better off going into consulting?

3) What are the financial opportunities like (ie better or worse than hospitalist/primary care practice)

If anybody has had any experience in the industry and can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

My mother works for a pharmaceutical company and MDs, PhDs, and PharmDs can be CSMs-Clinical Science Managers. They coordinate clincal trials for company medications with practicing MDs, PhDs, and PharmDs at universities and in private practice. They publish research, present, and offer scientific support to pharmaceutical reps when they get questions about drug trials from docs. You don't have to do the "selling" that pharmaceutical reps do even though they seem to love their jobs too. You can focus on the research.
They have great salaries for the lifestyle (100,000-150,000) that they lead. They travel (first-class, all-expenses paid ) to lots of places (my mom went to thailand for an international hiv conference a couple years ago), get company cars (gas is paid!!), etc, work from home (mom's office is fully furnished and funded by her job including all the electronics) even though you do travel quite a bit around your state and to headquarters. To answer some of your other questions. You certainly don't NEED an MBA, but if you want to get more in the administrative side of it, it would be helpful. After I graduate, practice and get some clinical experience under my belt, I'm heading straight for a pharmaceutical company.