Physics at Harvard over the Summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noncon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to get feedback on the Physics class at Harvard Summer School from those who have taken it. Anyone care to volunteer any information? f you have any feedback - whether stuff you heard from classmates, friends or your own experience - I'd love to hear it.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask your sister or her friends.

I got an okay from my sister to mention her school. She is at Harvard Extension. With two classes a semester - 8 credits - she and her friends spend all their time doing homework, especially Physics with one Rueckner teaching them. ALL THEIR TIME doing homework. And they hardly ever get A's, although they do magnificently on the MCAT's. Unfortunately, because of the bad grades at Harvard Extension, the % of people who do get into medical school after Harvard Extension is very low - about the same % as anywhere else (Source: Dr. Fixsen's video talk). My sister and her friends barely have time for volunteering and stuff like that. In contrast, in the 4.0 thread, students seem to be taking 19 credits in very challenging subjects like Biochemistry, Biostatistics and other equally challenging subjects in a single semester. It is a little confusing to me how they manage that in ONE freakin semester.

First of all, congratulations on your acceptance into medical school! You mentioned that you had to study for a WEEK as though that is a lot of studying. At my sister's Harvard Extension, they do homework every single day ALL day, ALL through the semester. A week's study at Harvard Extension will get them an F. And the % that gets into medical school after Harvard Extension's formal post-bacc program is a relatively low 33% because of transcript damage at Harvard Extension. Something is wrong somewhere. Such things factor in when I choose where to take pre-med classes.

I am hoping to get feedback on the Physics class at Harvard Summer School from those who have taken it. Anyone care to volunteer any information? f you have any feedback - whether stuff you heard from classmates, friends or your own experience - I'd love to hear it.

I took it. The course moves four times faster than during the year. It was tough, but manageable. Brush up on math. Do lots of problems. Be sure you know the concepts inside and out. Rinse and repeat through 7 weeks of hell.