Physics Math Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVet_ISU

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the situation. My University offers Physics 1 & 2 with a prerequisite of Trigonometry. I have not taken Trig. So my advisor says, take it at ****University in the town over in the summer (PHY 1 in June and PHY 2 in July) because it does not have the trig requirement. I heard from a student that trig was hardly used in her PHY class.
So I planned on taking it in the summer, until I received an email from the instructor saying I haven't taken enough math and that it might be a "great challenge" to me.
So my question is, what math was required in your PHY classes? Should I take it and just try to "get by" and tarnish my GPA a bit? I've taken college algebra and did fine. I feel like as long as there is an explanation on how to do the calculations I will be fine... buuuuut now I'm nervous. If I wait to take trig at my home institution and then phy 1 and 2, it will put me back an entire year behind graduation. :( Registration is in 2 days for these summer classes and I'm not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think any math was a pre-req for my physics, and I personally think you'll be fine with just algebra in physics. They give you the equations, it's mostly plug and chug from what I remember.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think any math was a pre-req for my physics, and I personally think you'll be fine with just algebra in physics. They give you the equations, it's mostly plug and chug from what I remember.
Or at least they SAY they will give you the equations..... :rage: *still bitter*

To the OP, it really depends how comfortable you are with having the possibility of having to teach yourself/get help for the trig problems. I know for my physics class there was some trig stuff in there, but it was mostly all based on triangle stuff and wasn't *too* difficult. But then again, if you never seen it before, it might take some extra work to get through it. :shrug: I personally think it could be doable with just algebra, but it's hard to say how taking physics without trig would affect you personally.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, I forgot about SOH CAH TOA. That was as much Trig I think we needed to know.

Thanks, that makes me feel better!
Maybe the instructor missed my college algebra credit on my transcript? Who knows. I was just thrown off, like why wouldn't you list something as a prereq if it's essential to the course, ya know?
I think I'm going to go forward with the class. I REALLY don't want to go an additional year in undergrad! :)

Did you ask the instructor what math you would need for the course that you're registering for? They would have the best idea and you can read up on it/practice beforehand. At my undergrad, our physics courses were calculus based so we needed to know a TON of math to make it. I think asking the professor is a solid way to get prepared.

i took my physics courses at home at a local community college, but all courses i would have enrolled in required calculus as a pre-req

Did you ask the instructor what math you would need for the course that you're registering for? They would have the best idea and you can read up on it/practice beforehand. At my undergrad, our physics courses were calculus based so we needed to know a TON of math to make it. I think asking the professor is a solid way to get prepared.

Many places have Algebra-based physics and Calculus-based physics as distinctly different classes. The OP probably should check to make sure which these are. If trig is the pre-req (like the OP said), they are surely algebra-based, in which case the OP should be fine if he/she was very comfortable with college algebra.

I still dunno why these are vet-school pre-reqs. I'm one month from graduating and it's a mystery to me.

I took algebra based physics 1 before trig. Trig would have been helpful, but it wasn't anything Khan Academy couldn't teach me. I am in physics 2 now and we use super basic trig, but most of it is manipulating equations and then plug n chug.

I have a physics horror history. My undergrad only had one physics class sequence, and the professor modeled it to teach it like he was teaching it to engineering students (even though 90% of his students were pre-med/pre-vet). It was as calculus based as you could get and our applied calc class did nothing to prepare me for it. Granted, the professor was a terrible teacher. Khan academy started teaching me physics towards the end of the semester and that is the sole reason I passed.

*Deep breaths with brown paper bag. :help: Wait, do they even make those anymore?

Sorry. Anyway. I am awaiting to hear back from said instructor. The horrible thing is I found out that the drop with refund date is by 5pm the FIRST day of classes. So, dropping on day two earns me a "W". How is that even fair? But I digress.

OP, I took both the calc and algebra based physic sequences at my school (I really liked physics).

The algebra based was very basic trig and I felt was straightforward. As previously mentioned, Khan Academy is a great resources. I liked to do their problems to solidify my understanding of concepts that I was fuzzy on. Plus they have "review" videos that you could watch if you are worried about having no trig background.

I opened this thinking you were totally going to be asking for homework help, lol.

Reactions: 3 users