Physics on MCAT 2015?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does anyone know how much physics will be de-emphasized on the MCAT2015? Particularly the topics covered in 4A of the AAMC outline. It looks to me like everything is reduced significantly on MCAT2015 compared to old MCATs. For example, the outline does not even mention that we need to know things like circular motion or projectile motion, and the bullet points underneath the headings are so vague.

I'm trying to make sure that I'm only studying what is needed in the Physics category. The outline makes it seem as though we only need a rudimentary knowledge of physics concepts that were tested heavily on the old MCATs, but I also don't want to study too little.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how much physics will be de-emphasized on the MCAT2015? Particularly the topics covered in 4A of the AAMC outline. It looks to me like everything is reduced significantly on MCAT2015 compared to old MCATs. For example, the outline does not even mention that we need to know things like circular motion or projectile motion, and the bullet points underneath the headings are so vague.

I'm trying to make sure that I'm only studying what is needed in the Physics category. The outline makes it seem as though we only need a rudimentary knowledge of physics concepts that were tested heavily on the old MCATs, but I also don't want to study too little.

I have been searching for something specific also, I saw a couple figures that showed the % of questions related to physics/ochem and how small that percentage really is. Makes me feel like focusing on biology, biochem, psych, and cars are by far the most important.

Reactions: 1 users
According to the outline for Chemical and Physical Foundations of Biological Systems Section it seems that Physics will account for 25% of the 59 question section (so i'm assuming around 15 Physics questions for the whole exam). If so, it seems you can probably get away with just knowing some basic concepts in terms of physics if your pressed on prep time. Of course, this is all just conjecture on my part but it does lead me to put off studying Physics till the end, i guess we'll find out how that goes.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I downloaded the free Kaplan e-book last year that explained the changes in the 2015 MCAT and skimmed through it. From my understanding, it is specifically trying to get away from those cliche inclined plane, projectile motion type questions and will apply physics in more of a clinical setting. Also that circuits were out (I think). Again, I'm being lazy and don't have my tablet with me right now (will get some solid quotes later), but this is a great thing. No more meaningless "2 people are skiing down a hill" questions that apply very little to medicine, which is the whole point of revamping this test.

The Khan Academy problems are interesting to say the least. If that is what the MCAT is going to be like.... wow.

I highly suggest doing them just to get a feel for the new exam. They are the only questions AAMC seems to have made a stab at creating with another party. Very challenging but more biologically oriented than the old exam.

I'm only studying what's written on the guide

There's enough material already, I don't have time to ponder over vague relations within topics. Does it say projectile motion? No? Next topic.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if projectile motion is on the new MCAT or is it simple velocity/acceleration kinematics? The outline only says velocity and acceleration..

I'm only studying what's written on the guide

There's enough material already, I don't have time to ponder over vague relations within topics. Does it say projectile motion? No? Next topic.

I like where your head's at.

I would know the basics of projectile motion. It's not a hard concept in itself.